LEO poll

To all the men in blue, thank you for your dedication and service. Some people say it's a thankless job,but the majority of good honest Americans see it differently.On a side note a Sheriff came in my shop today to drop off his truck and was carrying a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP Stainless in his holster. Said he's never had a problem with it

I'd have to say that following the North Hollywood Bank Shootout, public perception of what we do did change for the better.

And as things get worse with the Mexican drug traffickers infiltrating the US (and Obummer not doing anything about it), things will get worse. We have at least two MS13 families living in our county, which is unheard-of. DEA has already raided them once, but they are still there.

Once rival gangs move in and they start offing each other, we will be back to the days of the Old West. The crap that is going on in Mexico is starting to filter north thru Texas. Eventually, our prisons will be filled with those people.

Keep your powder dry.

Kevin,
That's funny that you mentioned MS13. We're starting to have a big problem with those guys down here in S. Fl. The 2 guys I mentioned we shot(and later died of multiple gunshot wounds) were MS13 affiliates. These guys are a whole new breed of bad. Even our local gang bangers that have been running around our side of town for years and years are starting to back down from these guys. The violent killings these guys do are insane.

I'll second what donglock26 said. Your thanks are not necessary [it's an honor to serve], but they're very, very much appreciated. :)

In the last seven months, I have drawn my weapon eight times. Fortuately I have never had to use it. I work the midnight shift so my backup can be a half hour away on a good night.

I was a Federal Investigator, so I have a different history. 27 years on the job,guns drawn (aimed at people) many times, no shots fired. Once I was 3 feet from a suspect with ALL the slack out of the trigger of my shotgun, when he decided I was serious and gave up.

I did have to kill someone in the line of duty, but I used my truck.

As for trouble magnets, several studies have been done about some officers who get in far more incidents than the average. I recall NYPD had an officer involved in several shootings, so they assigned him to directing traffic. 1st day on post, the bank on the corner got robbed, he was in another shooting.

They never found any comminalities, it's just some kind of karma. Some cops get in more 'stuff' than others.

I've drawn countless times, like everyone has said , clearing buildings etc.

Never shot other than range, thankfully

For all you LEO's, I appreciate you, I respect you and I thank you for the service you do for your communities. I know at times it can be a thankless job but keep up the good work you do. Make it home safe to your families everyday.
Times are getting tougher with the drugs and the economy, more robberies, more drug dealers etc..
Another aspect not mentioned here yet is the cop assisted suicide, it happened to a close friend of mine who is a county Sheriff. It involved a car chase where the guy pulled in a farm behind a barn and when the two officers came around the end of the barn the guy yelled I am going to kill you and pointed a 12 gauge shotgun at them. They both fired, killed the guy and then found out the shotgun was empty. They found a note in his car saying thank you, I wanted to die and couldn't do it myself. I cannot begin to say how bad those two officers felt but it took a time for them to get past that day.

Once I was 3 feet from a suspect with ALL the slack out of the trigger of my shotgun, when he decided I was serious and gave up.

I had the same experience with an offender. I was closing on him with my Mod 66 drawn and suddenly all the fight went out of him. Someone asked him later why he decided to give up and he said that he saw Death riding on my shoulder, so he put his hands in the air.

I've met cops like your friend, even worked with a few. My 25 yrs was different. Only time I discharged my weapon on duty was to put down a badly injured dog and I was quite relieved to close that chapter of my life without needing to shoot someone. I like to think I would have been OK with that but it's an event that changes one's life and it wasn't an experience I wanted to have. I lost track of the number of times I drew my weapon in the first several months and never bothered to keep track of that number. Some duty holsters are a bit slow to give up the weapon inside so many situations are simply better handled with weapon in hand from the outset, instead of as a reaction to an escalation of the threat.
I agree about trouble magnets, I was one but I attracted scrappers and I was more than happy to oblige them for several years. After that it got tiresome and recoveries more lengthy and painful. It was even fun for awhile, sometimes 2-3 fights a month. Glad I learned to avoid them, finally.

I know what LEO stands for. The Police do a whole lot more than enforce the law. Actually it's the courts that enforce the law.

Routinely during a work week for building searches, bank alarms, funky situations. Numerous times for protection and three times for life saving action. Not all LEO are the same. Some took the fire and police exam and applied to the public works dept. and the police dept. called them first.

Im a dual cert corrections officer and i my self have pulled a shotgun several times but never my side arm.

There is another job that gets little if any credit for being a great public service. I know a few corrections officers and their job is no walk in the park. They have to put up with close contact with all the criminals every day they are on duty. It can be a grueling job, atleast LEO's get a break at times and have a day that they make no arrests, they have a day when they help a citizen out, the citizen id grateful and even says thank you. Corrections officers are in direct contact with the criminal element all day long and have to be on their toes. It is a very stressful job.
I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to the correction officers as well. You guys keep the bad guys where they belong.

18 years on the force, retired with a herniated disk from a shooting situation. I have polled my weapon or shotgun on numerous occasions as some said too many to count. One shooting a subject raped and sodomized a 52 year old woman & I was sent solo to the call. Perp tried to escape through me with a knife. He didn't make it.

NegreteSD.jpg

Back