LCRx: Doom for the SP101?

Nothing inherently wrong with "plastic" guns. Just keep in mind a revolver will always have more felt recoil and with the lighter weight, that increases it even more.

Nothing inherently wrong with "plastic" guns. Just keep in mind a revolver will always have more felt recoil and with the lighter weight, that increases it even more.
Yeah, I understand that, but if we stop talking about the .357 Magnum and focus on the .22, .327, and .38+P, that felt recoil issue isn't so much of a factor, especially in the 3 inch LCR's.

When Ruger finally came out with the .22 LCRx, I saw no need for the SP101 anymore. Yes, the little longer sight radius is nice, but at the expense of nearly twice the weight, it doesn't make it that much more imperative to have.

Same thing if Ruger came out with a .327 3" LCRx. For the .327, a 3 inch barrel is plenty enough to get the energy for defense use and if loaded with the weaker .32 Long or H&R Magnum, the recoil will be minuscule.

For all those people here saying they can't accept "plass-tech" in a six shooter, they're likely the same people who 25 years ago said the same thing about semi autos and what just happened? The Sig P320 became the new Army handgun.

Bud, if you like a featherweight plastic gun, good for you.
For anything but pocket carry, I don't.

That's about the size of it.
Nothing wrong with liking the LCR, but just because it's YOUR choice doesn't mean it has to be mine, nor does it mean the SP is dead in the water.
Denis

I have the LCR 22, and the SP101-22. There's no doubt in my mind which is the better gun. I never understood why people think a 22 should be small, and light. I also have a 3" 317 that is difficult to shoot well because its so light. I also have Charter and Taurus rimfire revolvers, and my SP101-22 is my favorite. Its beautiful and accurate, well made, and smooth. To me, pride of ownership is a factor in keeping a gun in my collection. I wouldn't be upset if my LCR-22 was gone, but my SP101-22 will be one of the last to go.

SP101 Match Champion... basically an SP101 with a better trigger and some fancy grips. I'd be interested in the .327, but not the .22 or .357.

I love my Plastic LCR9mm. Built like a tank. One of the things I love about this gun is the fact that it is a"fun" gun. I was a lousy shot when I first bought it, but I shoot it all the time now and have become very efficient. The recoil is more than manageable, just to the point of enjoying the recoil. I would not shoot 357 which is about twice the recoil (See Genitron comparisons). Personally not interested in 357. If I did, I most likely would go with the SP 100. I also would not be interested in 327. I like to shoot often and the cost of that ammo would bankrupt me.
In reality, I really do not care what someone else owns. I
I carry the LCR and the weight is 17 oz unloaded . That is plenty enough for me.
That said, I hardly doubt the Sp 101 is going away. I never could understand the the logic of trying to insult a gun due to a Polymer Grip. I thought those kind of comments went south decades ago.

I'm not insulting a gun with a plastic grip, I just don't want to own one. Good for Ruger for lowering costs and still making a reliable handgun, but I much prefer my steel and aluminum framed handguns. I've owned 4 polymer framed handguns, and sold 3 of them, only keeping my LCP because the size and weight is just too practical to give up.

Maybe it's because I work in engineering in the plastics industry where everything is disposable and recyclable. When I get home and spend my own money, I want something completely different than the plastic items I develop at work.

I don't have a problem with plastics, in certain applications.
My regular carry pistol is a Smith M&P 2.0.
One occasional small carry pistol is a Smith M&P .380.

Those are for specific uses & they're autos.
I have no personal use for a plastic revolver, a totally different dynamic.

This is just me, but said to illustrate my preference for the SP in regular shooting does not derive from clinging to the past.
It simply derives from preferring steel in those roles.
And I'm far from the only one who feels that way.

The SP is not going away anytime in the foreseeable future, certainly not because of the LCR.
They can both comfortably exist side by side in the market.
Denis

Back