LCRx: Doom for the SP101?

TruthTellers said:
"The future of the SP seems uncertain..."

In whos opinion? Yours? I doubt the LCR will ever replace the SP. The LCR may be a fine revolver(I own one) but its a hideous plastic new concept that not everyone has jumped to grab. It has sold well I'm sure, but the SP is an icon when considering a small, steel revolver. The LCR has a long way to go to reach that status

I didn't even like shooting 357 outta my SP101, it was 38+P after my teeth started vibrating and my finger blistered. Now I shoot 357 out of a GP100 only. I have yet to try the ugly LCR, but I hear its got a nice trigger.

In full-power .357Mag, I'll take the SP-101 every time. But, I'm considering a LCR .357Mag as a CCW using .38SPL ammo. The .38SPL LCR is just too light to shoot well.

With Colt and Kimber introducing steel-frame revolvers and S&W continuing their steel revolver production, I don't see Ruger discontinuing the SP line anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Without knowing the sales volume or margin on the SP v. LCRx I don't know how any of you could possibly make such predictions.
Generally speaking blue/stainless steel and wood gun margin's are lower than synthetic and other finish guns. Ruger will go with what makes more money.

I worked at a shop with a product that was decades old and involved some old custom tooling. Started to have problems with it and we were told the product line was done when it went. Margins and volume were low and they wouldn't invest into replacing the tooling. Sure enough, the tooling gives out and they send all the extra parts to the service center and that is the end of the show.

Dirtbag wrote:
I didn't even like shooting 357 outta my SP101, it was 38+P after my teeth started vibrating and my finger blistered. Now I shoot 357 out of a GP100 only. I have yet to try the ugly LCR, but I hear its got a nice trigger.

I find the recoil of full-power .357 magnum to be unpleasant in most small guns. The SP101 is no exception. However, I do enjoy .327 Federal with the SP101. It nicely handles all of the loads I've tried and it doesn't really kick any harder than .38 +p would from the same gun. Things change a little when I drop down to the LCR 327, but it just means that the lighter 85-grain load has recoil on par with a .38 +p.

The LCR really does have an excellent trigger. It's a major contrast with the SP101. If we can learn from the recent LCP II, updating/upgrading the SP101 trigger might be a good idea.

I carry 180-grainers in my 4.2 SP out in the wilds on occasion, I've never had a problem with recoil using larger Hogue grips.

No way in hell would I swap that SP for a plastic revolver. :)
Denis

Nope, sorry. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have options. If the newer LCR line brings in new shooters or draws more attention to revolvers, great. But to "replace" the SP line? Get outta here! I seriously doubt that is Ruger's intention, especially since they keep adding to the SP line.

I'll take any of the three SP's I have over any LCR any day of the week.

I have one of each. They are different revolvers in different niches. I hope there is room for both.

And yeah, I can fire 357's okay from my friend's LCR. I couldn't control my 38 special LCR without getting bigger grips. The 4 oz or whatever it is makes a huge difference.

I seriously doubt that is Ruger's intention, especially since they keep adding to the SP line.
They've released one new SP101 that isn't a "distributor exclusive" in the past 2 years which was the .327 Magnum model with 4.2" barrel.

Ruger has actually added to the LCR/LCRx line more the past few years than they have the SP101, so the numbers add up to one fact: Ruger is putting more focus on the LCR/LCRx line than the SP101.

Of course Ruger is putting more "focus" into the LCR line. It is newer and not as established. Huge stretch though to infer that the SPs are to be dropped.

I had an LCR in .38 special. I liked the trigger and the fact that it carried so easily in my pocket. It was a step up from my 2-shot derringer, and lighter. Like the derringer I meant it to be a last ditch "belly gun."
I have never owned an SP or a GP because I have always been more than happy with my two Security Sixes (2 3/4" and 6")for handling full-house .357 loads with ease. For that matter, I shouldn't forget to mention my 6 1/2" .357 Ruger Blackhawk. Great guns, all.

I don't have a Sp 100 or 101, but do love my LCR9mm. Easy shooter, like the ballistics, close to the 357 without all the noise, flash and heavy recoil. At 17oz, easy to carry. A FUN gun to shoot.Buttery smooth trigger. I load up about 20-30 moonclips the night before range day and shoot it each week. Not interested in the heavier Rugers. If they come out with a LCRX in 9mm with a 3" barrel, I will jump on it. I do however own the Blackhawk 9mm/357.

Last edited:
I looked really hard and fondled several LCR’s, but in the end I went with a j frame 442. I just don’t care for plastic guns.

In the same regard, I’ve looked at SP101’s and S&W 640’s, and I think I’d pick the Smith over the Ruger. But I certainly wouldn’t turn down an SP for the right price.

Now if Ruger could get that awesome double action trigger in the SP101, I’d go buy one tomorrow!

But to me the LCR and SP101 are completely different guns, each designed for a different audience.

I've got two SP101s, a 357 and a 9mm, and zero ugly LCRs.

No chance of the LCR dooming the SP101 from my point of view.

Back