LCP II in 22LR

I don't understand why it would be a locked-breach design, but the photo sure looks like it is.

In an article over on the THR forum it stated that Ruger used as many parts of the 380 version as they could to keep cost down and simplify things and that the locked breech and tilting barrel enhanced feeding.

Maybe it helped with feeding but I'm not seeing the cost advantage with prices running around $300 for one.:confused:

My limited understanding is that they're a blow-back with a tilting barrel, not a true locked-breach. I suppose for some parts commonality with the 380 and maybe more reliable feeding. But then I could be completely wrong; I haven't actually seen one.

I don't get all the hype saying what a swell practice pistol it is for the .380. For the trigger, maybe...but for handling recoil and follow up shots, I fail to see where practicing with a .22 will be much help. I think anyone who wants to get better with the .380 would be better off spending $150 (1/2 the money for the .22) on .380 ammo.

I agree with Carmady. If you are practicing for your .380 LCP (whichever gen), pick yourself up more ammunition and get to practicing instead. Sounds great for a cool little .22 though!

Yeah, if I get one, it's definitely NOT to "practice for a .380."

What I want is a .22 that works for pocket carry and can do the following:

1) Make me look good jumping cans in front of friends/family.

2) Hit a rabbit-sized target within 15 yards nearly every time.

3) Hit a rattlesnake head-sized target at slightly more than rattlesnake strike range nearly every time.

4) Reliably poke 10 holes in a human chest cavity-sized target at 10 feet within about 2.5 seconds.

If it can't do all of the above reliably (with a bit of practice), then my interest will rapidly drop off. I have a nice Beretta 71 that is great for all of the above, but just slightly too big for pocket carry -- it has to go IWB.

A .22 that does the same job but can be dropped into a pocket has been a very, very long-term desire, for me. No luck so far.

A few months ago I found a deal on a couple thousand 380 plated for 4¢ ea delivered so I am handloading for my Shield EZ and my often carried LCPII at a very low cost.
I think having a 11 round capacity .22 would be a hoot. When the cost comes down a bit and it has been real world tested, I will have one.

I've really got the itch for one of these LCP IIs in 22 LR myself. Initial reviews I'm seeing are looking pretty good as reliability in them. I think this little gun will fill a good niche that has been needing filled for a long time. Especially as a kit/hiking type gun, low weight and profile, low per round ammo weight (hard to beat a .22 in that department), etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it accurately!

I was most excited by this one as a potential flatter replacement for my pocket Smith 43c 22 revolver. But then I tried a range gun with a single brand of standard velocity ammo and found POI was seriously high and left of POA at 25 feet. For me, it should do better than that. Before writing it off, I plan to run some mini-mags and stingers through it to see if it improves any with different ammo.

Other than that, the gun shoots great.

BOARHUNTER

That's unfortunate. If only they had given as much attention to the sights as they gave to the idiotic mag safety that devalues the gun. Could have been a massive home run. Even a basic drift adjustable sight would have saved the accuracy issue. Oh well.

I have been shooting pocket guns for years and shoot them often. I totally believe in training with a small barrel 22.cal. Trigger control, point and shoot skill development especially is important. The LCR22 has been a huge success for myself in shooting snubbies. especially the LCR9mm. Recoil difference is not a disadvantage in shooting one. Recoil simply put your eye and hand off target momentarily. Or at least your hand. Multiple targets with a 22.cal does the same thing. It is nice to be able to go to the range and shoot hundreds of rounds through a small barrel and not have to second mortgage your house in order to do so. Especially if you are shooting each week.

It works for me. I have proven this. If it does not work for you then just keep shooting 380 ammo for training. Be sure to get one that holds up well for a lot of shooting. I have always enjoyed shooting small barrel pistols and revolvers. They are a challenge, and a great satisfaction comes from shooting them well.

What I cannot figure out is how the heck Ruger is justifying $300 for a LCP. The LCP 380 is just a cheap aluminum frame small gun without sights. Cost for Ruger to make one has to be extremely low. A cost of $150.00 is a fair price for one. But $300.00?

I have always thought the LCP was the biggest profit maker for Ruger. Now it looks like they make the same gun in 9mm and now the 5.7. Same materials etc.

No wonder they no longer make guns like the SR9C which now can be bought for the same price as a Ruger LCP 22.cal. Does not make sense other than reaping in huge profits.

This gun below from Ruger is a nicely made firearm and very worthy of $300, which it is selling for. Show me the difference in the LCP 22/

ZgsfDRb.jpg

What I cannot figure out is how the heck Ruger is justifying $300 for a LCP. The LCP 380 is just a cheap aluminum frame small gun without sights. Cost for Ruger to make one has to be extremely low. A cost of $150.00 is a fair price for one. But $300.00?

"Whatever the market will bear"....First page of Gunbroker-23 posts of this pistol FS...But yup, I bought a new LCP in .380 for $185 out the door..

"Whatever the market will bear"....First page of Gunbroker-23 posts of this pistol FS...But yup, I bought a new LCP in .380 for $185 out the door..
Yep USN, you are 100% correct. And ya got to give high points to Ruger Marketing. Persoanlly I think Ruger has the best marketing department than any other company. (a topic for its own thread).

In 2013 $300 was a great price for the LCP (Gen 2). Soon after that Ruger dropped the price to $200 because they found a way to cut manufacturing costs. Then the short-lived LCP Custom came out.

10+1 Loaded with Stingers... Can it handle Stingers?

I am certain Ruger knows that many will use stingers in their guns so I would guess they would be no problem. I mean after all, it will handle the 380 round.

Back