last resort

Lipsy's Ruger Single Seven with 3.5" barrel and birdshead grip. Seven shots of .32 caliber in just about any bullet weight or velocity you want. Classy, too.
This gun screams out for a Doc Holliday shoulder rig.
But I'm biased towards single actions.

Only worry that Mrs. has is it should be small enough to fit into her purse.

That being said, what is recommended for a great subcompact pistol in a 22 mag or best in the revolver 22 mag??? Size wise we're looking for a 2" size plus/minus
in length.

A lot of the suggestions sound like they are bigger than you are looking for. Maybe she should get a bigger purse. The Bearcat or the Single Seven sound like the best options (depending upon how bad her hands are) but probably are too big.

Otherwise, I'd say the S&W 351PD. From what I read the DA pull is heavy, but it is a DA/SA revolver with an exposed hammer, so if the DA is too heavy for her, she could train to just use it SA. After some research, I'm kind of interested in a .22mag revolver for myself- I don't like the capacity of a small .38 J-frame, but I want some "stopping power". Watching videos and reading reports of .22mag gel tests, some JHP expand, and those that don't (most don't) will nearly always tumble when shot out of a 2" ish barrel creating a larger than caliber wound channel. Most also seem to do 14-18" of penetration out of a 2ish" barrel. That 7 shot 351PD is looking like a good option for a backup gun even for those of us without hand issues (and I'm starting to develop some myself, though no where near like your wife's), and for those with the kind of hand issues your wife has it may be a great primary option.

I got Mrs. Doc a small rubber ball and showed her the exercise to strengthen her hands/fingers. Also, got her a set of 5 lbs. weights to strengthen her arms. She actually liked the ideas. We shall come back in a month or so with the results.

If single action revolvers are still in the mix, you might want to consider the NAA Sheriff. The ruger bearcat shopkeeper was out of my price range, so I picked up a Sheriff as a pocket plinker instead. Roughly half the price, but it came with both .22lr and .22mag cylinders. The larger grip makes it easier for me to shoot than the minis.

Doc,

Have you tried reloading .38 wadcutters for her revolver? Say 125 grain lead SWCs at 700 fps for practice? They don't kick much.

Deaf

It surprises me that so many people think that there is nothing between 22 and 38. A 32 caliber revolver is the obvious solution.

Don't let less than great eyesight prevent you from reloading.
We all eventually suffer from that.
Just go slow, have plenty of good light on the subject, be organized (to avoid confusion) and all will be well.

Ok Doc,

See if you can buy some .38 Special wadcutter loads (factory.) I know you can get them off the internet from may sources. They don't kick at all.

Deaf

Back