last resort

CCW

Excellent question and some very realistic responses.

After a sanctioned pistol shoot at my gun club, one of the RO’s suggested we shoot the same course of fire but instead of using our bells and whistle guns, we use our carry weapons.

What an eye-opener!

My AMT Backup (.380acp) was fine at close range but the further back we all went it became woefully apparent that beyond 10 yards, the majority of our CCW’s were less and less effective.

I have since switched CCW’s to my Browning Hi-Power.

The auto pistol choice may not be a good one unless the person who will use it has enough strength to operate the mechanism to clear a jam. If that is the choice, though, make sure the ammo is reliable so there is (hopefully) no need to ever operate the slide manually.
Tip barrel 22, or 25. Beretta Bobcat, or Taurus PT series. The Beretta has the advantage of being SA/DA for the possibility of thumb cocking the hammer. But the trigger pull of the Taurus DAO pistol is not all that bad.

Considering how accurately and how fast a .22 can be fired, they can make a very viable defense tool.
Just have to use them to their advantage.

I once won a bet for being able to knock down a full sized steel popper with a rimfire pistol.
Poppers are calibrated to require at least a full power 9mm to knock it down.
Three rapid rounds at the very top of popper sent it on it's way to earth with that lowly rimfire pistol.
Easily done, too.
They are indeed usually very accurate and can send a fusillade of rounds on target very quickly.
So, another vote for the rimfire in this situation.

I will agree with a couple of others that suggested the Ruger LCR in 22 mag. Intimidating and loud but 6 rounds, none of which I would want to be hit with.

The small Taurus and Beretta 22 LR semis are notorious for jamming. This is not a situation where we want to play with many different loads and still be wary of the gun when the time comes.

Yes, you may have a good one but does Doc want to have play games with an iffy gun?

Profesional folks do like the 22 mag snubbies - question is how the trigger pull works for Ms. Doc?

A 327 Mag J frame would be nice but you would have to buy an expensive one as they are not produced anymore - one with a hammer would work, maybe as you can get very mild 32 SW Long loads and if the 32 HR mag loads would work also.

I had a LCR in 357 chose it over thew 38 for the extra 3 oz's. I to am recoil sensitive so I would practice with 95 grain Cowboy loads, very soft shooting. When I carried it I used the Hornady Pink Tip for the ladies. Still a bit stout but God forbid she has to use it in self defense I'm sure she would not even care.

Good luck. Don't buy her a new gun work with what you have, not a better revolver on the market in that price range.

I reallly appreciate all of the responses and Mrs. Doc will try out a couple of the
revolvers. Hope something willl work for her.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA.

My wife had the same problem. We went to the range and shot all types of .38 revolvers and the LCR in .22. She finally settled on a Ruger SR22 semi-auto. 1st round is double action and the rest are single action. Use a hot little CCi 36 or 40 and it never jams. She absolutely loves this weapon.

Mrs. Doc has a 357 mag LCR 1.87" 5 shot revolver. She's qualified in Tn. 5 years
ago and she qualified for her carry permit here in Fl.with the same LCR. She will shoot it for 1 or 2 loads then puts it down & walks away. Hands can't handle it for much more as she has a auto immune disease called Vasculitis.

She's tried 6- 9mm Pistols, 8- 38/357 compact revolvers even used roll your own special ammo I had made for her & no go.

Is there a very good 22 mag/long rifle revolver out there that has a lite trigger pull that will not hurt here hands?

One more thought... The LCR is a good revolver. Why not have the gun worked on? Lighten the trigger and have a good gunsmith work up an extended firing pin. As for loads, 38 Spl is the easiest caliber to work up loads for. You can create powder puffs that have as little recoil as needed.

Only worry that Mrs. has is it should be small enough to fit into her purse.

That being said, what is recommended for a great subcompact pistol in a 22 mag or best in the revolver 22 mag??? Size wise we're looking for a 2" size plus/minus
in length.

What ever she gets, it has to be a superior pistol/revolver & not some cheap piece of junk. So, what would you want your better half to carry for her SD???

To combine some ideas, Ruger now offers a Single Seven in .327 Federal Mag. As noted already, it can fire .327 Mag but also 32H&R Mag, 32 S&W Long, and 32 S&W. it is pretty lightweight, and is single action. Right now there is a Lipsey's limited run with a 3.75 inch barrel and Birdshead grips. Much like a Bearcat enlarged but with a range of more power.

Gilfo, made me think. Has she tried 148 grain Wadcutters from her LCR? They are low recoil, usually very accurate, and most tests usually show them having terminal ballistics and effect way beyond their modest numbers, certainly beyond .22 LR or Mag, I would think. Biggest drawback is you should use something else, probably, for a reload because those stubby wadcutters are really balky in a speedloader.

Have you tried just shooting 38 special in the gun or is it still too much for her. I feel so bad forher as iI have family with the same problem. No fun at all

Doc, the S&W 351c is a wonderful, reliable, lightweight 7-shot J-frame in .22 Mag but the trigger is impossibly heavy. The S&W 351PD has the same heavy trigger but offers a single-action option. I think the Ruger LCR-22M has a better trigger than the Smiths but is only 6-shots and is a bit larger and heavier than the Smiths.

The other advice would be to load her KLCR with 95gr cowboy loads or the 100gr pink Hornady .38 ammo. Those should be mild enough for her to practice with and the Hornady is suitable for carry.

Back