Lady Cop Observed During Range Session - Oh My

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, just found this forum and it looks like an interesting place. Go take a potty break if you need to, this is going to be kind of long. :)

I'm an LEO myself as well as a gun enthusiast. Everyone has made some valid points on this issue, but I must admit that it's a bit frustrating to be put under the microscope (I've worn a badge long enough to get used to it though). For every dumb cop I've seen on the range I've also seen ten stupid citizens. That's a good point to remember.

That being said, I think that there are several factors responsible for the current state of affairs. Mainly, lack of interest, lack of training and our culture itself. I'll freely admit that guns are what got me interested in putting on a badge. I knew several LEOs from the range and read a lot of books written by LEOs. I found the experiences that they related to me to be intruiging so when my military service was over I went for it.

Due to my interest in firearms I was already a step ahead of quite a few of my academy classmates. As I said before, there are several factors for this. First, interest. For most LEOs their radio holds more interest than their sidearm. They fire their gun only during qualification, when they have to. They aren't interested, nor will they be no matter how much you try to convince them how important it is. They suffer from the "it will never happen to me" attitude.

Second, training. Most departments alocate very little time for firearms and defensive tactics training. There was a time when you could walk into any station house and see the awards and trophies of the pistol team prominently displayed. This is now seen as politically incorrect and gives the public an "aggresive" image of their police. When I had finished my training I reported to my district. You wouldn't believe the flack I recieved from my fellow LEOs because I carried a gun off duty (none of them did). For quite a while I was labled as a "gun nut" who would probably "get into something" off duty.
My supervisor didn't carry off duty and I told him that anyone who doesn't is a fool (we still don't get along, suprise suprise). I don't look for trouble off duty, but it may come looking for me. We're not in the happy business folks, pure and simple.

Third, our culture itself. As our society becomes more and more urbanised new officers come from backgrounds which are not firearms related. Most of them have never even seen a gun, much less fired one. There's a good reason why a lot of those old timers that you see on the range are more proficient than the new guys. The type of sidearm has nothing to do with it. Their (the new guys) society has taught them that skill with a firearm is not something to be proud of, but is instead evil and uncivilised. Thier departments upper chain of command will probably not be supportive of these efforts either. In this age of litigation they're more concerned with being politically correct. It has been said that LEOs are a reflection of their society. A truer statement had never been spoken. The next time you choose to be overly critical of your local cops take a look in the mirror. They are what we as a society have made them.

I'm now involved in instructing our recruits in officer survival and traffic stop techniques. We do the best we can with the time and resources that we have. I'm hard on our recruits because I'd like them all to make it to retirement. I'm a firm believer in the saying "the more your sweat in here the less you bleed out there". I've had to tell a few that they need to find another line of work. They're good people, but good people don't neccesarily make good cops. I also tell them that the limited training time that our agency provides is no excuse for not being proficient. They need to take it upon themselves to make sure they are. Some do, some don't.

1 Generally speaking all military personnel i have shot with who are LEO's have been good shots,accurate and safe. Also cops I knowwho come from backgrounds where hunting or shooting was prominent.
2 I have also been to my military range, an outdoor setup with wood overhead baffles and support posts to prevent stray shots vertically, its an air base. Alotof wood structure. I have seen ignorant FBI agents shooting away withI believe were fullauto Mac-10's from there armost firing positions, this resulting in the range frequently being put out of service. This frequently would effect mine and other units from getting necessary range time.
3. As a general rule,Cops spend to much time chatting with others while sitting in the car in a speed trap waiting for someone, like myself, traveling slow butfast enoughfor them. Nice car all the better, get their quota and then go park and chat some more. Real cops should be more concerned with fighting crime, less concerned with quotas or fear of racial predjudices in their patroling. Any body knows you canfind drunks, aggressive drivers, reckless drivers and other far worse offendersas citizens, why is so much time spent harassing and taking money out of the pockets of upstanding citizens??? Are to many cops affraid to place themselves in the positions we pay them for???

I remember seeing one female officer shoot.
She was blonde haired - long and pulled back into a pony tail. She was pretty to the point of being distracting. She was shooting a Sig 229.
She shot like an action movie hero-babe.
I was expecting to see a few if any holes in the target.
I was surprised to see a very nice group centered around the X ring.

Then again - I have seen some Robo-Cop wanna be's who were quite proud of a 18 inch shot group from the 15 yard line.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Just my thoughts and no flame intended, She has the perfect qualifications to be a writer for several gunzines I (or you) could name!

LOL :D

When I went through the academy we spent 5 or 6 days at he range. This was just after they switched from black powder. (LOL) That was the best part of our training. It was interesing and there wasn`t too much chickens**t. They broke us up into small groups and the instructor we had was great. He was one of the reasons I became an instructor myself. We were all VNV`s and just needed some polishing since we were mostly used to the M 16. The one thing that sticks in my mind is that he would have us sign out extra ammo so we could shoot during meal.
When I became an instructor this was strictly forbidden as was even talking to the recruits because it was considered fraternization. Many recruits came to us with no knowledge of firearms and we had to start from scratch. Some picked it up right away but of course, some didn`t. We failed a lot of people the first time around and rightfully so. If we could have given them more individual attention, the failure rate would have been lower. The result was many people who failed had their confidence shaken. The unofficial mission at the range became take the ammo from the building and put it in the hill. I`m sure it hasn`t changed much since then.
I think if the cops today show too much enthusiasm and knowledge of firearms other than what`s required, they`re looked upon as weird or too aggressive.

Just for the sake of balance, I'd like to mention that I know of at least two police officers (one an FBI agent, one an Indiana state trooper) who are master class Bullseye shooters.

"Put a charge of 00 Buck through the roof of a squad and blew out the Mars bar to boot."

Well, that's serious if you blow out the Mars bar. Kind of gives me the Snickers. :)

When I took LFI-1, there were some very practiced LEOs in the class. Of course, they
were motivated to take the class.

Talk about the Portland, OR police sometimes,
the local newspaper did a front page on their horrific shooting and tactical skills.

No offense to any member of that force but
it was frightening.

For more entertaining tales of LEO firearms instruction I recommend "Jim Cirillo-Modern Day Gunfighter" the video (or the book) from Paladin Press. Very good storytelling.

I used to see small marksmanship badges worn on police uniforms back in the old days of pride in excellence. Today our whole society rewards the smiling idiots who just go along to get along, and fears those who strive to achieve in any field.
:(

------------------
Teach a non-shooter to shoot. Educate a voter.

Gee folks, you really know how to make a citizen feel safe. No wonder more and more police chiefs are increasingly anti-gun. I guess they figure once they disarm the general public, they can feel justified in disarming their own folks so they can at least go to the can in peace! Course, are they sure it was an accident, or did they think the boss was in the can?

GOOD Female LEO--This story was told to me a couple years ago by my cousin, who works as an intern in an ER in inner Boston. The hospital hired a young (early 20’s) female security guard. She had been police for 1 year, then had a child and wanted part-time work. The hospital’s other two ER security guards were retired cops. They carried hi-capacity 9mm’s. She carried a S&W .357 revolver. The older guys kidded her a lot about her “antique” firearm, and apparently gave her lots of macho BS, too. She handled it professionally.

Then a crackhead was brought in for emergency work, unconscious. Had been shot in a drug battle. He revived just after he came in, must’ve thought the battle was still going on, pulled his piece (also a hi-cap 9mm) and started spraying the ER. All 3 security guards were involved in the shooting. After the BG dropped, my cousin got to try to help revive him, but it was a lost cause. He took 6 hits in addition to the one he had.

Post mortem—he’d been hit 6 times by .357, no hits by 9mm. Miraculously, no other injuries in the ER due to the battle. The old guys treated the new lady differently after that.

Several of my good friends are federal LEAs, city or county LEOs, or security agents for corporate America but too many of them couldn't shoot SH$T even if they were on a toilet. Listen to this.

1. Executive protection security agents fail to qualify to carry and a large Northwestern corporation is looking for ex-Secret Service types to fill the gap.

2. Another corporate security force scares the RO at a local range so much with their unsafe gun handling, that he and co-worker refuse to be on the range with them. they watch with closed circuit cameras and use the PA system to talk to the security folks. many of them can't qualify.

3. Several months ago, someone on the Net from Minneapolis posted a long letter stating that half of the officers at that agency failed to qualify on their first go at qualifying.

4. While I have a half a dozen + friends who are FBI, DEA, and Customs agents, I have yet to ever see any of them on the range in three years.

Quietly my FBI friends have told me that they train with the local PD SWAT team for tactical and firearms experience. And these federal types are "supposed to be the best of the best - cream of the crop."

5. I'd like to give my respect to the Snohomish County Sherriff's Department and Belevue Police Department's officers in Wahsington State for training weekly and aggressively. They require officers to train weekly and qualify monthly.

i'm digusted. for all of you LEOs out there, you better train often and regularly. Start reloading and do it on your dime. because if you ever get hit with a wrongful death charge, frequent training is going to show that you were competent and acted appropiately in the deadly force situation. A lack of training only increases risk of expsoure to personal liability. I'd get an umbrella insurance coverage to protect my family too. Just words of advice from a friendly former AAG.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

[This message has been edited by jtduncan (edited January 10, 2000).]

MAybe it is just as well...we might have to fight those alphabet soup agencies someday and I'd rather they couldn't shoot straight.

Wow, folks! This thread is almost a thread-and-a-half!

Time to start Lady Cop at Range, part 2

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back