Knives. What kind and how many for your hunts?

On the other extreme, I knew a bow-hunter from Cuero, Texas. A botany-type who was heavy into knowing edible plants. Hunting locally in that flint rock country, he didn't bother with a knife. Kill Bambi, pop a couple of rocks together a few times in the right manner and he had his knife. :)

I never worried with a gut hook point. I figger that is a 5 second task and I have a routine involving 2 fingers inserted under the hide

Yeah, Brent, that's probably why I haven't tried one yet. I've made it this far with a regular blade, I probably don't need one with a hook on it.

I never worried with a gut hook point. I figger that is a 5 second task and I have a routine involving 2 fingers inserted under the hide

I have tried them..... they work for a while, but it is darn hard to sharpen that inside curve..... not worth the trouble, IMO, and definitely not worth buying a new knife for..... and as you note, a clip point and two fingers work just fine.

Not hard at all... either a scrub brush a few swipes with paper towel crammed in and drug back and forth...

Brent

Marbles

Being from Michigan I have a fondness for Marbles knives. A very old company in the Upper Pennisula.....Gladstone I believe. I have three, one for each of my two kids in the safe appreciating in value (two of the knives are limited edition production date stamped blades) and the pictured one for slicing Bambi.

Attachments

• img379.jpg
    img379.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 46
Bark River knives. A Bravo 1 for the big jobs, couple of smaller ones for skinning. Don't forget a little multi- tool for fences and such.

Puma 945, everything you need
210945.jpg

Don't forget a little multi- tool for fences and such.

I had completely forgot about the Leatherman .... it's part of the everyday load.... wallet, keys, phone, EMP, Leatherman, cheap chinese folder ..... You said hunting ...... I assumed you meant hunting knives.....

I also always have Leatherman in a hip pocket or belt holster too... But for fences, I sure hope you mean mending them!!! My obligation to a land owner as a land "borrower" is to leave his place better than I found it.

Brent

Marble? Quality. My father earned enough money from trapping to buy a Marble hand-axe. Age 10, 1919...

Thats cool Art..I like hearin those stories of yesteryear..when quality was everything....

Some that I have collected since I was a youngster ....Most of these are from the 1900's to the 1950's....The 2 user trappers at the top are what I am carryin right now..An Eye Brand & a Bulldog Brand...The sheath knife in the center..I carry too..Western States(before Western)..It was made in the 30's..I had mikarta handles put on it cause the old celuloid handles had deteriorated.....Made a good using knife....

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 61
Keg, that horizontally-placed knife at left center is much like my grandmother's, but the blade on hers was two inches, maybe a bit more, longer. Lord only knows how old. I gave it to my son...

Another vote for the Buck 110. My oldest (which I don't like to use), I found stuck in a tree at a camp. Some idgiot obviously throwing it and broke the back spring so I sent to into Buck to find out how much to fix it. Ended up being nada for repair and came back razor sharp, along with a value sheet on it. Ends up that it is first gen and is worth $130 now.

I have always used Camillus knives. A fantastic company based in Camillus NY. They filed for bankrupcey in 2007 and the company name and all rights were sold. I'm not too sure of their new products but their old knives were the best in my book. Anyone else familiar with Camillus knives?

There are a lot of great knifes on the market, & I have a few!! my favorite is the Schrade/Old Timer or Camilus in the "SharpFinger" design, IMOP there is just nothing better!!!!
They are all out of business now, and the name was sold to a Co. in China orr Japan. the originals can still be found on ebay and such,, but are getting spendy. if you have never used one you don't know the control this gives the user, just a great knife, also a little known fact, this is the knife of choice of the Infamous "Hells Angles" if you run across any of these that are made in the USA snap them up.

The Camillus Sharpfinger

1169827011_oQMeu-M.jpg

The Schrade sharpfinger
1169827054_6YV2E-M.jpg

afew assorated sharpfingers
1169827037_rNi52-M.jpg

Art..thats an old Western from the 40's...If U look close there is a buffalo head on the blade....

msnden...Thats a lot of sharpfingers....

Mora knife - MORAKNIV, made in Sweden. Carbon steel blade, (which has to be kept oiled when not in use). Scary sharp, and holds it's edge better than any knife I've owned. Best part is - only around 11 - 12 bucks. Fantastic bushcraft and or gutting/skinning knife. I've got a couple of different models and am going to purchase more. Got mine off of amazon.com, check out the reviews - and I don't leave home without it...

Back