Kimber Warranty

michael t, I agree. To have to waste 500 rounds to break in any gun is ridiculous. Ridiculous is the nicest word I could use. My Kimbers have required no break in at all. If they had, and it was anything like your friend's, that would have put me off Kimber permanently too. Reliability is priority #1 for me.

BTW, I've owned two Dan Wessons, both purchased new. One needed to go back for warranty work. I guess I'm batting .500 for Dan Wessons;)

I own 5 Kimber's-One of my Aluminum frame 1911's grip bushings came out and stripped the aluminum frame so I took it to a gunsmith to install oversized grip bushings to my surprise the gunsmith called Kimber for me and explained the situation they immediately mailed him a new frame free of charge-all it cost me was the 25 bucks for a firearm transfer. I never expected that considering I had that gun for about 6 years.

I Have a Kimber Pro Carry II that is not only a beautifully made pistol but a great shooter as well, my second Kimber is Micro Carry. The Micro has been a flawless shooter until one day it refused to go into battery after firing, a call to Kimber and about four days later i had a new guide rod and recoil spring, both modified to resolve my problem. No charge was made and i was not asked how old the pistol is the fellow simply said " we want happy customers".
Most of the negative comments i have encountered about Kimber are from folks who have never fired much less bought a Kimber. In this period of time when so much negative is said about the firearms industry by anti- everything American folks i try to be positive in my remarks when companies like Kimber and Sig provide me with excellent customer support.

It is odd that the OP praises Ruger's warranty, since Ruger does not have one. They say that no matter the age of the gun, to return the gun and they will (1) bring it up to their factory standard or (2) replace it or (3) offer a discount on a current production gun.

Actually a one-year warranty is pretty standard on all products; it is not surprising that that applies to guns as well. Now if a company does not honor its warranty or the product is unacceptable, regardless of warranty, those are separate issues.

Jim

Most gun mfg's recommend a break in period ..( wilson combat says 300 - 500 rds...with other instructions on lubrication, etc )...and while personally I found their guns to run virtually 100% right out of the box, I still put them thru a break in period. I do the same thing on a new car...although I know some mfg's of autos say its not necessary now...

and no, Wilson ...or Kimber ...or any other mfg will not pay for your ammo in breakin period ( nor should they, in my opinion ).

I only have a couple of Kimbers...and yes they did take some break in / the worst gun for break in I had was a Les Baer monolith ( it took easily 1,000 rds or more to get it to run properly ...and I do blame Baer for that - I think they make their guns too tight / unnecessarily tight )...while companies like Wilson Combat seem to get it just about right - right out of the box.

I had looked at Kimber 1911's in my initial search, but found them in the upper price range. I settled on the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 for around $800, mainly because of the excellent trigger right out of the box, also there was no rattle to the slide and frame when shaken. Others at the range who fired it, squeezing ever so lightly on the trigger were amazed at the trigger. Love to shoot this 1911, made in Israel, and I added Mepro-Lite tritium sights for ease of aim, and also night protection.

If you need to send the gun back to Kimber for repair...call them first and request a call tag --- Then they will give you of you're FFL a call tag; in which Kimber pays for the shipping both ways.

A couple of my buddies had Kimbers. The first guy bought a brand new Kimber and we went to the range. I was shooting a cheap Llama 1911. As I was shooting circles around his Kimber he reach a full 20 rounds when his brand new Kimber locked up and would not move no matter what we did. It went back to Kimber and they "fixed it". My other buddy had a 1911 in 40 and give him fits of all kinds. I would not buy one, too many other quality Guns out there to take a chance on an over priced over rated pistol.

I must be buying my Kimbers from someplace where you guys are not. I recently purchased my seventh Kimber. I have had only a minor problem with one of those guns, contacted customer service that could not have been any more helpful and friendly. I sent the gun back on their dime and it was returned to me within 10 days, problems solved. On another occasion, I broke a part on one of the guns...my fault. The gun was well out of warranty. Kimber fixed it at no charge and shipped it back on their dime. I am very happy with Kimber.

Kimber makes a lot of guns...( from $ 800 or so ...to over $2,000...) ---- and no, I don't think they are a terrible gun either. I have one now, a Tactical Pro II model in 9mm, 4", alloy frame....and I had a Gold Combat Stainless II model, 5" all stainless from their custom shop in .45 acp that I gave to my oldest son. Both have been decent guns...not great guns...but still worth the money.

I'm not saying Kimber makes the best 1911 out there ...far from it...but they aren't junk either.

QUOTE: "...Most gun mfg's recommend a break in period .."

As far as I can ascertain and recall (without checking each and every manual-I suppose there might be an exception or two but I don't think so), none of the many handgun brands that I own do, including pistols from Smith & Wesson, Glock, SIG, CZ, H&K, Colt, Taurus, Ruger and Beretta. A "break-in" period is necessary to establish reliability on any firearm intended for self-defense use, but I expect my pistols to be reliable right out of the box. Companies that require a pistol to be fired for 500 rounds or so to be properly "broken-in" are companies that I won't buy a product from.

I won't touch a Kimber and the warranty is a big reason why.
There are excellent guns manufacturers that warranty their gun forever.
No problems about how many owners or other crap.

Why would I buy a very expensive gun when I can get the same priced gun that has better resale value ?

AFS

I've posted elsewhere about my Kimber experience. I just don't understand the price point of that gun, given the low quality and "break in period," etc.

What's going on over there in their plant? Somebody here mentioned the owner of Kimber as "the Bernie Maddof of the gun world" or some such. That rings true from what I've seen.

I have not owned weapons from every single maker, but 6 that I can count, and the Kimbers where the worse as to failure to feed and stove piping. Never again.

I did seen some stove piping in my old Colt 1911 way back when, but that washed out after replacing some very worn parts and getting the feed ramp polished etc.

sig-gunner

Funny you say that about kimbers-I have a brand new sig-p938 sitting in sigs repair shop right now for those exact same malfunctions.

"Funny you say that about kimbers-I have a brand new sig-p938 sitting in sigs repair shop right now for those exact same malfunctions."

Well of course you do. ;)

I've known shooters who have Colts, Sigs, Glocks etc repaired.

But this thread is about Kimber warrenty, etc. :D

Companies that require a pistol to be fired for 500 rounds or so to be properly "broken-in" are companies that I won't buy a product from.

I guess you will never buy a Wilson Combat since they are all broken.

Yes, seems like a pretty broad statement. I don’t see an issue with a manufacturer advising and including a break-in procedure. It seems like I’ve seen several questions on this board in the past about breaking in new guns, so I was glad to see Wilson being proactive. Now, did the gun actually need it? I have no real idea since it functioned fine during that 500 round break-in period, but now I have confidence in it and the chosen ammo.

The failure to feed is what really bothered me as it happened with two different Kimber models.

Yes, it was happening within the 500 rounds.. more like 30 or 50 rounds at first, then ongoing.

My shop is a very good one, so they allowed me rentals to use at the range while waiting for repairs. I rented a Springfield Arms 45 and a Kimber "Pro Carry" they'd had for just a few months. The Kimber failed.. had to slam the slide forward on too many occasions.

Nightmare if in a cc need situation, I kept thinking. So, my experience jaded me to Kimber and I just moved on. Yes I know, many have similar experiences with other mfg. And many have good reliability with Kimber (some of my shooting acquaintences included).

But not for me. Sig makes me happy.. just load and shoot. Pow pow pow pow pow.. never a failure. Have an old Ruger in 9mm that's the same great reliability.. don't carry a nine, but I love shooting that thing at the range too because of its no nonsense reliability.

I bought my Kimber Solo second hand and out of warranty. When I had a problem with it, Kimber fixed it for free, including shipping both ways.

Back