Kimber Warranty

weimerheimer

Inactive
My son has been looking at a Kimber pistol. We've been researching a particular model to see how the reviews. I was looking at Kimber's Warranty and was surprised to see they only offer a One Year Warranty.

I've dealt with Ruger and Sig Sauer in terms of repairs & warranty issues and can't rave how excellent they both are.

Kimber is not a cheap firearm manufacturer by any means. Why do they only back their guns for One Year?

Excellent question and certainly why I would look at something else. They are nice guns though, my brother has a two tone, Pro Carry II, has been a great shooter and problem free.

I own a Kimber, among other guns. I am not very impressed with it. I guess the over saturation of magazine ads got me.

There are other companies that offer better value and warranty.

good luck with your search

Rich

I've had two KIMBER pistols, a GOLDMATCH 45 and a RIMFIRE TARGET. Both shot just fine [ ACCURACY ] but both were USDA PRIME TURDS. If I'd have lived closer to the kimber plant we'd have had it out once and forall. They were consummate liers on the phone about problems.
The man who owns Kimber, Leslie Edelman, is the Bernie Madoff of the firearms business.
And so it goes...

Terry, Terry, Terry.
You gotta learn to let your true feelings out.
Bottling 'em up inside like that just leads to indigestion & hypertension.
Denis

I own 3, and all have been flawless.

The only thing that gripes me about Kimber is their blue finish durability. The blued finish is crap. Other than that, I have had no issues. My 10mm has about 4k through it and my Pro Carry II has about 7-8k through it. My TLE II rarely gets shot.

I prefer to purchase guns with some kind of a lifetime warranty, like Sig or Wilson Combat as an example ...although Sigs warranty says its void if you fire reloads ( and I do, 100% of the time - except for Defensive ammo )...but in general, I don't put much stock in a guns warranty.

In general, you have to realize that guns from Kimber are mass produced and assembled by trained workers ( but not gunsmiths ) ...so they do get a few guns back under warranty...but in general, if you shoot the gun much at all ...500 rds a month or so ...most any defect will show up pretty quickly.

I think Kimber makes a decent gun/not a great gun ....but there are a number of other options out there in the $1,000 - $2,500 price range that Kimbers fall into. In 1911's ...it really comes down to the features you want..and budget..for the money ( and features on it ) Springfield TRP is a solid gun ...and Colt is making some pretty good guns on a budget...I would also suggest a look at the Sig options ...and Kimber .../ if your budget stretches to around $3,000 Wilson Combat is out there ...and for a little less Ed Brown...

SIG's warrantee is very close to the same as Kimber's, limited. And only applies to the original buyer. Typical of all firearms manufacturers warrantees.
"SIG SAUER warrants that the enclosed firearm was originally manufactured free of defects in material, workmanship and mechanical function."
Mind you, the "...limited warranty is null and void if..." part is pretty standard. Don't think anybody covers hand loads. Too many bozo's who think reloading manuals are written by lawyers.
Firearms from all manufacturers are a mass produced and assembled by trained workers, not gunsmiths.

QUOTE: "...SIG's warrantee is very close to the same as Kimber's, limited..."

With a few exceptions to "prove the rule", almost all warrantees have limits to one degree or another to the scope of their coverage. But the op was asking about the length of the warranty in terms of time (one year in the case of Kimber; lifetime for SIG).

I've only bought two guns with a time limited warranty (a Marlin rifle and a Heritage Rough Rider). The rest have a lifetime warranty or no warranty (Ruger). I think the best warranty I have is the no warranty Ruger because I am confident that they will take care of any issue I may have that is not my fault.

Fortunately, if there is going to be a problem with a gun and the buyer breaks it in promptly, it usually shows up early and will be taken care of by a time limited warranty. Unfortunately, many people buy a gun and shoot it very little or not at all before a time limited warranty expires. My friend has bought several guns over many years and brags that they have never been shot.

I've owned half a dozen Kimber pistols over the last 15 years or so. Five flawless from day 1, one had an easily correctable issue. I never paid attention to provisions of the warranty because I never had any reason to send one back for warranty work. Several years ago, I did have a Kimber magazine crack. Don't know how old it was, probably a few years. Kimber just sent me a new magazine. Only thing they asked was my address. Metalform did the same for me on a magazine one time. I have had to send back Colts, Baer, Wilson, etc. for warranty service, so I guess I have no basis for complaint about Kimber products or service........ymmv

Kimbers warranty is 1 year....

Sig warranty is lifetime -and yes to original buyer only. Shooting reloads voids warranty/ but in my view it's a better warranty than Kimber.

Wilson combat has skilled craftsmen and gunsmiths fitting and assembling guns. They have a lifetime warranty on the gun, even if you buy it used. Wilson allows reloads without voiding there warranty.

I had one Kimber. It was too tight and would malfunction after 75 to 100i rounds. 2 trips back to the factory. Both times i sent it back dirty with a full explanation. Both times they said they had cleaneded and adjusted the tolerances. Both times they said they had put 200 rounds through it. Third time, they refunded my money through the dealer who was NOT happy about it. All of this was before the year was out. . I must have made 8 calls and several letters to get the refund. It was accurate and had a great trigger btw

Modern Kimbers are crap.

It's that simple.

They don't want to offer more than a one year warranty, because they'd be replacing 90% of their production once the "one box a year"-owner found out that 75 rounds was more than the pistol could handle. ;)

Yes, that's an exaggerated statement. But, yes, that's my also my opinion.

My Classic Stainless LE (600 piece limited run, circa 1998), on the other hand, is a well-made pistol from a time when someone more intelligent and more customer-centric was in charge of the company. Amazing pistol. One of the smoothest, sweetest, sexiest firearms I've ever had the pleasure of operating.

New kimbers are over priced for what they are --- entry to mid level 1911s regardless of what finish / logo is put on them.

They do have a number of quirks that are not good as I learned in 1911 armorer training... "Now if you look at a kimber it may do this but should not"

I purchased a used Kimber Custom II about 10 years ago from a well known big box retailer for a very good price, almost too good. After seeing the pistol and inspecting it closely, I phoned Kimber and questioned them regarding it before making my decision to purchase.

I'm not saying that they were truthful or dishonest on the phone with me as how would I really know, but the individual on the other end told me that any issues that did not result from neglect or abuse would be covered regardless of age or warranty term. That makes sense to me IF they were to follow through.

I contacted them after purchasing my second cheaply priced used offering of theirs questioning them regarding ambi-safeties, only questions not requests. They opted to send me parts for free for me to experiment with and decide for myself. After experimenting and calling them back they sent the same parts for my second pistol once again free of charge and refused to accept any payment. That leads me to believe that they would follow through.

I don't think that Kimber pistols are as slick as their ads are but they do make a reasonably decent pistol all in all, and I do suspect that they would stand behind them if they were in fact at fault.

Of course I'm pretty good at being wrong sometimes too.

Kimbers are nice looking guns and are very popular, altho a tad overpriced. I'm sure the multiple full page ads in virtually every gun rag published, contributes to both. While I don't own any, I have shot several and they seem to shoot like virtually every other 1911 clone made. That said, a few years back I had a friend buy one and found it FTF often right outta the box. He called Kimber and was told they would not even consider looking at the gun till he put 500 rounds thru it to "break it in", since they are manufactured so "tight". My friend was only a occasional shooter(as are many gun owners) and it took him more than a year to put those 500 rounds thru it. Two years later when he called he was told the gun was out of warranty and the fix would not be covered. Seemed to me to be a scam.

Most firearm warranties I've seen have been for one year. Ruger doesn't have any but will provide 'service', S&W and Walther have the expected one year warranty AND lifetime service policies. S&W in particular is quite helpful in that respect for firearms manufactured after, they send you a shipping label, you send the gun, they fix it and send it back, all without charge.

Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty
period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without
charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith &
Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and
any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material
or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy
requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days
of purchase. The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional
defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines
or sights. The Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an
extension of the Smith & Wesson Warranty

I purchased a "broken" Kimber TLE/RL II for cheap. I believe the guy I purchased it from was a second or third owner. He had boogered it up pretty good taking it apart and putting it together incorrectly and losing some parts.

I called Kimber and told them that I had bought the gun used and needed to replace a few parts (plunger, spring, sear spring). Kimber told me that the gun was no longer under warranty, several years out to be sure. I told them that I understood that and just wanted to order the parts.

Then they proceeded to send me the parts free of charge (incl shipping). I fixed the gun and over 1200 rounds later have had no issues. Now I know 1200 rounds is not a whole lot but it is enough to say it is reliable.

We have several other Kimbers that we have bought new. Never an issue with any of them. They run flawlessly and are very accurate. I think they are a little pricey in today's crowded market but I have no problem trusting my life to one.

Ruger OTH told me to get stuffed when I asked for some simple stuff to repair a malfunctioning rifle. I could not even buy new parts from them. This was some time ago and maybe they have changed some but it was bunch of BS and turned me off the company.

I have never had a SIG break. I'd put their quality level a measure well above Ruger.

Kimbers are nice looking guns and are very popular, altho a tad overpriced. I'm sure the multiple full page ads in virtually every gun rag published, contributes to both. While I don't own any, I have shot several and they seem to shoot like virtually every other 1911 clone made. That said, a few years back I had a friend buy one and found it FTF often right outta the box. He called Kimber and was told they would not even consider looking at the gun till he put 500 rounds thru it to "break it in", since they are manufactured so "tight". My friend was only a occasional shooter(as are many gun owners) and it took him more than a year to put those 500 rounds thru it. Two years later when he called he was told the gun was out of warranty and the fix would not be covered. Seemed to me to be a scam.
That's why I no longer have a Kimber or will ever buy another . My Dan Wesson never required 500 rounds and its shot pants off the Kmber

If Kimber wants you to do their work . They should supply the 500 rounds.

Back