Kimber Model 84m classic or Sako 85 hunter, in .260 rem.

5RWill

I can't decide which one to get guys. I've read reviews about kimbers being bad and wonderfull. And then all the reviews on the sako are positive besides the rumor i heard about their rifles not being a true controlled feed. I'm willing to gambel with kimber but im not sure if i want to, the thing is every sako i find is like 400$ more than the kimber. By the end of the summer i will have 1,100$ and i've found the kimber for 900$. Im still having a hard time. Need some help deciding. Thanks.

I could be talked into both. I've owned an 8400 and it was very accurate. The trigger on the Kimbers is the best available in a factory gun IMO. The Sako has it's virtues as well. They're both good choices and if you're like me you'll buy one and wish you had the other later.

The bedding system on the Sako 85's is very nice. Sako may have a slight edge in accuracy but my Kimber shot around 3/4" to 1" consistently.

Ya all i need is at least a inch, im using my .260 for anywhere from muskrats and coyotes to elk. But i love the look of the kimber and the action it's absolutley stunning. Same for sako but i can't justify the extra 400$. I'm 17 so i will have a good collection of rifles as time goes on. I've just read soooo many bad reviews on the kimbers and they are horrible but the good reviews are like amazing, like .5 inch 3 shot groups. Rifles i plan to get are sako, kimber, and a cooper custom classic which will cost out the @ss..

I also told myself that if my kimber was throwing them everywhere i would just send it back as many times as it took to fix it but then i read about the horrible customer service..

I wouldn't worry about the Kimber being a dissapointment. In some ways it's better than the Sako IMO. The hand checkering, oil rubbed finish, match trigger, weight and petite handling are all done better than the Sako IMO.

That doesn't mean the Sako doesnt' do some things better though. Sako makes a barrel about as good as anyone. If you handload and seat the bullets close to the rifling the Kimber may have a longer magazine well since it's not a detachable magazine.

So since i wont have the money, i should take a gambel with the kimber? I really want a kimber, just all these bad reviews kinda scare me. Also should i order it online or shop around my location, i don't know how much i trust online stores for guns. Hell if i could i would like to get it directly from the factory.

I own 2 Sako rifles in 22-250 & 308. I recently spent $700 on the 22-250 getting it rebarreled, rather than buy a new rifle after 23 years service. I have nothing but praise for the Sako's. I know people with 17's, .222, 243, 25-06,270,30-06 & 375H&H Sakos & they all admire their rifles. I recently had a workmate buy a new Sako 85 Hunter in 243 & the craftmanship on this rifle is perfect. More importantly they are accurate & reliable rifles, with some of the people I know being professional shooters relying on their rifle for their pay.

So since i wont have the money, i should take a gambel with the kimber?

Any gun you buy you'll be taking a gamble. The best brands still produce lemons.

The Kimber will feel more petite, light, with a super smooth claw controlled action.

The Sako will feel heavier, bigger in the wrist, has a super smooth, push/kinda controlled feed(model 85)action, good trigger, and probably shoot slightly better.

You won't go wrong with either, but don't feel like the Kimber is a compromise or risk.

I guess ill stick with getting the kimber then, unless i were to find a better deal on a sako 85 hunter. But another question about the kimber, cause of it's weight would it make a 260 kick a lot more than it should. I use my dad's .308 and i could have swore it was like 7 pounds and then he told me it was 14. I thought it had a decent kick to it. So since the .243,.260 and .308 all use the same casing would the kimber should kick a good bit more with all that reduced weight right?

Thats also another thing that concerned me about the sakos, i read that they didn't have a true controlled feed action.

Kimber's come with a 1" Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad. Arguably one of the best recoil pads ever made. The Sako's have a very stiff pad. I had a Kimber in 300 WSM and it was a pussy cat to shoot. I was very surprised how little recoil it had. Unfortunately claw controlled actions can sometimes have trouble cycling the short fat WSM's. This was the case with mine so I sold it. I love the gun itself though. One in 260 would be a great pick.

Perceived recoil has as much to do with stock design as weight.

I would choose the Sako. Sako makes one of the best rifles in the world, and many come with their MOA guarantee (that's 5 shots, not 3). The first 1/2 MOA group I ever saw fired with a factory 7mm Rem Mag was from a Sako. The smoothest actions, the nicest triggers, the best looking wood I have ever seen on a factory rifle were on a Sako. Sako has my vote hands down.

I have never owned a Kimber, but from the ones I have handled and shot, they have a ways to go to work out all the bugs in their rifles. Pretty, though.

I can't argue that point of view either. They're both fine rifles. It comes down to what one wants. If you're into the classic claw controlled, hand checkered and finished guns, or if you like European styling and excellent accuracy. I have no reason to dislike either and don't think Kimber has a long way to go with their rifles. If anything they've upped the stakes for other production guns.

Of the two rifles you mentioned , get the Sako hands down.
You have already read reviews and comments about both rifles and your concerns are valid.
Sako builds a fine rifle and I personally have never heard of one built in the last 20 years that will not shoot---all mine do and have been very dependable.
You may want to look at Tikka also---Sako builds them too.
I purchased my 1st Sako in 1977 and have purchased others since along with a few Tikkas---all have been first rate rifles.
If you prefer controlled round feeding, you have a number of choices out there--Honestly, Kimber would be at the bottom of MY list.

Dipper

Having owned both---I'll take a Sako any day of the week---simply a better rifle all ways around.

Worried about controlled feeding?? WTF?? Planning on going after Cape Buffalo with your .260?? NON ISSUE

The thing is i can't find a sako at 1000$ or 1,200$. I simply wont be able to get 1,400-1,500$ by the end of the summer. Another concern even though kimber's customer service is bad, if something goes wrong with my sako i would have to send it to finnland wouldn't i? If someone can recommend a online store or think i can find one for 1,100-1200. Tell me cause if i can find the sako for that price i will definantly go for it. I have a friend with a federals arms license, and my dad said he could get a rifle from the manufactur or mabe for a lower price. Don't know if that is true but if it is and i can get a good price on the sako ill get it. If not my only other choice is kimber. I know how accurate tikka's are but i absolutely hate the look of them and the gun itself looks like a toy to me no offense to any owners.

no not planning on hunting dangerous game, but i just think it would be nice to have controlled feed action, sako is controlled feed too. I do plan on getting a 7mm magnum next summer when i go elk hunting with my dad, or i might stick with my .260. I might talk my dad into going moose hunting or bear. Bear would be awesome.

I'm surprised there's so much disdain for Kimbers here. I see plenty of post about how good Stevens and Savage rifles are. What is this about Kimber's customer service? I called there with a question once and ended up talking to the customer service guy for 10 minutes about shooting. And I wasn't on hold either. Does anyone want to share their bad experience?

Back