Kimber K6s Range Report and Pics

A proper counter bore cylinder completely surrounds the rim. The Kimber one would not prevent a rim rupture .
Those who don't know will be happy with the "cool factor" ! :rolleyes:

I love the sights and the cylinder release latch on it. I like the J frame size with a Medium sized revolver capacity.

I read the trigger is only 10 pounds. Is it really smooth?

What's a good price? I've been eyeing one at $750 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe with a new gun and new tooling for the revolver Kimber will revive its reputation as far as quality control goes.
My thoughts exactly; glad it's working out for you and it does look well put together. Rod

Very nice looking revolver. I have not seen one around here yet.

Quick question: Is the front on the cylinder held by the end of the extractor rod like S&W's? Or is it secured at the crane, a la Ruger style?

But the weight on your hip all day and the bulge riding in many car seats (bucket seats especially) gets old fairly quickly if you carry every time you leave the house like I do.
Oh, so very true, and eventually, you don't bother....a smaller, lighter piece is a better choice for many, and the reason I generally have a M60 Smith with a 3" bbl. on my belt. I'd opine that it's the grip lenth that's the determiner in CC use, not the barrel (within reason).

The overall size of Kimber's latest offering seems to fit the smaller is better criteria.

YMMV, Rod

In the 'old days' they made 'balloon head' cases that is the rim was hollow and wouldn't take the higher pressures of the modern solid rim cases. The counter bore was to be a safety in case the rim ruptured .
Balloon cases are no longer made so it's a moot point !!

There is a certain amount of confusion about that.
There have been three types of centerfire cartridge, not two.
The "folded head" made like a rimfire but with centerfire priming - early ones internal so they even looked like a rimfire - was not strong and was subject to rim ruptures.

The "balloon head" has the characteristic primer pocket bulge into the powder space because the head is thin. But the rim is solid. UMC even headstamped such cases S H for Solid Head. While at risk of casehead separation with heavy loads or reloads after mercuric primers, there is no particular danger of the rim rupturing. Sharpe referred to them as "semi-balloon head" but thought they should have been called "solid rim."

Now we have the standard "solid head" with the casehead thick enough to contain the primer pocket. Stout stuff. (You can look at some of the cheap 9mm empties and see some strange contours down in there, though.)

The first recessed rim revolver cylinders I know of were in .22s, about the time .22 High Velocity ammo came out.

The first recessed rim centerfire revolver cylinder I know of was the S&W .357 Magnum. The .357 Magnum was introduced in solid head cases and by that time, even semi-balloon head .38 Special was not common. So I don't know what S&W thought they were guarding against. Nothing that worried Colt or Ruger, at any rate.

Elmer Keith made a distinction between balloon head and solid head .44 Specials, loading the stronger but smaller volume solid head cases with a grain LESS of No 2400.

Henry Stebbins wrote in 1960 of finding most of a box of solid head .45 LC at the range, which he and Bert Shay thought a Fine Thing, but did not say when that actually occurred, he put a lot of history in that book.

Jim, My copy of that old book is so ratty that it's in need of a complete rebinding. Great information...and his write ups have influenced the way I describe guns and ammunition ever since. Too, his (and his co-writers) have cost me a few bucks over the years in guns that I'd never probably wanted had I not virtually memorized "Pistols - A Modern Encyclopedia". Rod

Henry Stebbins was a great writer, being an English professor as well as a gun crank. I had Pistols, A Modern Encyclopedia, Rifles, A Modern Encyclopedia, and How to Select and Use Your Big Game Rifle, but lost them in the fire. A friend provided a number of gun books from his collection to rebuild my library, so I got Pistols back.
He also had at least a couple of articles in Gun Digest over the years.

I've always liked Stebbins' "folksy", down-to-earth, yet very knowledgeable writing style. I have Pistols, A Modern Encyclopedia and Rifle, A Modern Encyclopedia and hope to add his book How to Select and Use Your Big Game Rifle to my collection some day.

Very nice! I've fondled three, so far, but waiting until I can get a better deal than a C-note off the MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last thought: recessed cylinder chambers may look great, but I've always found them a dust, debris, and gunk trap, having owned a baker's dozen Smiths machined in that manner over the years. I doubt whether they'd actually help with a blown primer episode. YMMV, Rod

Back