Kimber K6s Range Report and Pics

HighValleyRanch, the sideplate is held on with hex head screws, I have not yet opened the gun up. The grip frame is not a stud style, like Ruger, but a grip frame like the S&W's.

That's a nice looking revolver - with 6 round capacity too. But at $900, the S&W 627 8-shot is still the one I really want. If price comes down, or I can eventually find one of these in the $700 range, I may go for it.....I can wait.....I'm patient.

Skans, that 8 shot S&W is not that convenient as a carry gun, this Kimber carries like a J frame

Last edited:
Very nice looking indeed and good for Kimber if they've made a gun more in keeping with their previously held rep'.

Is there any chance of a picture from the front or rear alongside that Smith? Just to get an idea how the 5- and 6-shots compare in width.

Also, what do you mean by counter-bored cylinder: a new one to me...

Skans, that 8 shot S&W is not that convenient as a carry gun, this Kimber Carey's like a J frame

Yes, that is what makes the Kimber intriguing to me. Now I want both! I actually have some money off to the side to buy a S&W J-frame Chiefs Special, when I find the right one for the right price. I may opt to forgo that purchase and put that money toward the Kimber. I'll wait a bit and see what people report on it.

With a proper holster and a good cover garment, the N-frame snubs are no more difficult to conceal over a J-frame, yet offer much better firepower. I personally know of several people who CCW Smith M627 8-shot .357s and you'd never know it if you saw them.

Guys you need to be dressing around the gun. Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup. This new Kimber is set to make for a great BUG but there's no excuse not to carry a more capable revolver.

Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

I must be lucky. For me it's both!

And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup. This new Kimber is set to make for a great BUG but there's no excuse not to carry a more capable revolver.

This is off topic, so you can take my comment as just my opinion, but I don't agree with this logic. A BUG is a choice, not a necessity. Much like a CCW to begin with. And a 5-shooter can be a legitimate choice, IMO and I see no reason why the 6-shot Kimber will not make someone an excellent CCW.

Last edited:
Yes, carrying a full size 7 or 8 shot revolver is not hard to hide on ones person. But the weight on your hip all day and the bulge riding in many car seats (bucket seats especially) gets old fairly quickly if you carry every time you leave the house like I do. I carry a speed strip with 6 extra rounds and I feel very well protected with a 6 shot .357.

Pond, James Pond: this is a countered bored cylinder. The cartridge heads sit flush in the cylinder. Just a nice touch, it changes the function zero.

Last edited:
Are you sure that isn't bored for moonclips?

Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup.

I'm not sold on any of that! I don't dress around the gun; I demand comfort; and I never carry a backup. Carrying keys, wallet cellphone and gun are too much for me, so the gun or the cellpone end up staying in my car - mostly the cellphone. Yes, I'm a lazy SOB!:)

Now ,a stout 357mag 6 shooter which is J'ish + size is a great Idea .. And one built is a better Idea .. I have always been a fan of the 357mag .. Charter builds a 6 shot 38spl & 9mm .. that is steel and is just a hair bigger than the J frame
I have thought seriously about that little Charter .. But having 4 38spl 5 shooters , I really coudn't justifi the purchase ...
But I will keep my eyes on ths little Kimber in the next couple of years and most likely pick one up when the "new" wears off and prices come down ..

Last edited:
To each his own. I'm not a fan of the lines. Just doesn't seem as elegant as a Smith to me. It seems like a nice gun and I like some of the quality touches they did. Glad you like it and just think of it as 1 more out there cause I'm not looking for one

QUOTE" "...To each his own. I'm not a fan of the lines. Just doesn't seem as elegant as a Smith to me..."

Same here. Not ugly like a Ruger LCR but the lines seem too "angular" to my eyes. The looks of the Kimber might grow on me but the LCR never will.

James, on the other side of the Pond !
In the 'old days' they made 'balloon head' cases that is the rim was hollow and wouldn't take the higher pressures of the modern solid rim cases. The counter bore was to be a safety in case the rim ruptured .
Balloon cases are no longer made so it's a moot point !!
See " Sixguns" by Elmer Keith :)

Don't normally get over excited about new revolvers, but I really like this one. I hope these make it here in the people's republic.

James, on the other side of the Pond !
In the 'old days' they made 'balloon head' cases that is the rim was hollow and wouldn't take the higher pressures of the modern solid rim cases. The counter bore was to be a safety in case the rim ruptured .

Wow. There's a bit of history!

I thought it was just to stop grit or something getting in the breech face area.

Last edited:
Back