Kimber K6s Range Report and Pics

mk70ss

Well the Kimber revolver arrived today and we went right to the range to see what this thing is made of. Gun is extremely well fitted and finished. Its a sturdy, compact little thing. Here is a size comparison with my S&W 649 .357.

The Kimber is a little heavier than the S&W. The Kimber has excellent sights adjustable for windage. Sights are far better than my Smith's. Sights are well regulated and shot to point of aim at 50 feet. The trigger is also head and shoulders above my S&W. Lighter, smoother, and not quite as long of a pull. The cylinder's chambers are counterbored, which is a classy touch.

We put a box of Winchester 130 grain FMC .38 specials though the Kimber and 3 cylinderfulls of Winchester 110 grain .357 hollowpoints. No problems with any of them and the rubber grips make it comfortable to shoot even with the magnum loads.

This is a quality revolver that I like a lot. So far, I'm happy I sprang for one.

Looks good. How'd you get hold of one? I still haven't seen one "in the wild" and even online pickings are pretty slim.

I asked you on the other thread not to post photos:mad:
Now I have to go to bed again not owning one.
Not being able to buy one around here.
And never having held one.
Beautiful gun, I am envious.:o

Last edited:
Then you wont get one of these. That's what they are selling for and no less. If you want to wait another year, fine. I didn't.

Yeah, they milled the round part of the cylinder flat, I'm guessing to reduce weight and width. Its a slick little beast.

I love seeing a new quality revolver on the market. Side by side with the S&W the K6 lines look cleaner and it looks like it can be gripped closer to center bore than the SW. I might change my mind about owning a snubby.

I'm drooling on my screen but I'm gonna hold out in hopes of Kimber introducing a full sized version.

original.jpg

mk70ss, I don't blame you one bit for paying MSRP. If that's what it takes to get what you want. I've paid full price several times myself for guns that I really want.

Thanks for the pics comparing it to a J-frame. It's smaller than I thought it would be, which is good. Now I just need to see and handle one in person.

Thanks for your post and pics!!

Appreciate your post and efforts. It is one I want to handle in person and make a judgement. Not really in the market for a 357 snubbie, but I could be convinced. This looks like a good one.

Are the "innards" the same as a S&W, or are they proprietary like Taurus? The big appeal to me of S&W, is that I can swap springs (all kinds of aftermarket springs), when I tune them for a lighter pull.

A picture with the sideplate off would be nice.

Maybe with a new gun and new tooling for the revolver Kimber will revive its reputation as far as quality control goes.

Sure looks like a nice revolver. I hope they continue with the fit and finish you describe. Thanks for posting.

Very clean looking revolver!
Is the grip frame a tang style like the Rugers, or a frame like the SW's.
Can't see a side plate, so how is the disassembly.

Boy, I would get one in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, they will NEVER be available in stupid California!!!:mad:

Back