Kimber Jamamatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
1911's legend of being the best of the
best of the best will live forever...too many people and companies in the U.S. are making solid buck on fixing, polishing, customizing and accurazing of this indeed
not a bad pistol.

On the other hand, folks, is that really nice to buy a gun, open the box and just shoot it, knowing it will go bang every time the trigger is pulled? No way, say experts, it got to be REFINED, or you are no good. Buy this, buythat, replace springs, ejectors and bushings, new MATCH (and nothing else) barrel is a must, find a special guy who can polish ramp, sear, or whatever can be polished, give us at least one grand...then you can shoot...

But I like 1911 anyway, so don't jump on me.

Had a few Colt 45's (series 70) and even a parts gun put together with different commercial parts and a remington Rand mil. slide. All loose enough to be fairly reliable. Of course you could get a glock whick works pretty much 100% until the special day it blows up in your face. My suggestion is to trade the Kimber and try another. Maybe a Springfield.

I think part of the problem with 1911's is that people expect so much more of them. You spend $700 for a Kimber or Springfield "Match" and its expected (rightfully) to put slugs into 2" at 25 yards and to work with 100% reliability.
If it doesn't, we're damned disappointed - after all, the pistol has a reputation and its not living up to it.
Nobody expects a Glock to do more than hit a basketball at 25 yards. Its intrinsically capable of better accuracy, from a bench where you can overcome the long trigger but, its essentially a pure fighting pistol and we expect nothing more than that it go bang on a regular basis. It isn't intended to be, nor is it capable of competing against the 1911's in any sort of match.

With the better grades of 1911, we are asking a lot more. We want it to be bullseye accurate, 100% reliable AND be a fighting pistol.
Thats a tall order.

Its not fair to compare a utilitarian piece like the Glock to the 1911 - you're not asking a Glock perform at the same level and if you did, you'd be disappointed.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Just remember the Glock is a tool.
The 1911 is a work of art!

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

*Sigh* It's so hard to be everybody's everything! *sniff* *bwaaaahh!*

COLT Gummint Model and Gold Cup.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

I own two 70 Series Gold Cups. They stay in the safe. The Glock 21 (with which I could probably hit a basketball at 100 yds) is just more fun to shoot for me. All this stuff is just a matter of personal preference. Drop your 1911 in a puddle of salt water; take it out a week later and rinse it off and see how it shoots. Pretty good bet that my Glock 21'll shoot just fine.

(Not that I'm planning on dropping my anachronistic Gold Cups into a puddle of water.)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

I have a Kimber Ultra Elite and have owned other full sized Kimbers. I have found the supplied magazined (8rd for full size, 7rd for compact) are just about worthless. The follower tends to ride forward, creates feeding problems, failure to lock after last round, magazine jams in pistol, etc. Several even fail to function properly in unloaded pistol. The solution is to go with the 6 and 7rd (Italian made?) Kimber mags. Better yet, do as I did and order several Wilson Combat mags. For my Ultra Elite I bought 7rd with ultra thin steel pad. The look great and function flawlessly in every respect.

------------------

I love my Kimber Match. Over 3k, no jams. (I carry a SIG on a daily basis, tho)

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

I have owned and worked on many 1911 pattern guns over the years, but never a Kimber. I decided that for carry considerations, weight, and capacity to go with Glocks. Of the 1911 I have owned, the Springfields were always reliable, out of the box, even with 200 grains SWCs, as long as the barrel was throated, which the later Brazilian guns were. On the other hand, many Colts, both full size and Commanders, were unreliable until considerable work was done. The Wilson mags are always a good idea for any 1911, although I also had good luck with the round follower 7 rounders from Metalform(what Les Baer ships with his guns). Paras were reliable - I still own a P14. The ramped barrel takes care of many feeding problems. The Les Baer Commanche was a totally reliable gun with anything I cared to feed it and it didn't have a ramped barrel. Wish I had kept that one. BTW, Wolff 18 1/2 lb. variable power recoil springs are perfect for a full size Government Model if you are shooting full power loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back