Kimber does not stand behind its guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick9748

Inactive
Returned my tact pro ll to Kimber.Was called three weeks later and was told the frame was cracked and the ejector assembly needed replacing. I ASSumed that they would replace the parts. I was told that the cracked frame was my problem. I have never dropped the gun or shot +p ammo in it. I have never abused the gun in any way. I have 30 year 1911's that I can shoot every day.
I was told by Kimber that the design of the ejector was no longer used and they had no replacement parts. Kimber said my only option was to buy a new gun.
I find this to be a complete lack of responsibility and customer support. I can't think of any less they could do.

That's why you buy a gun with a good warranty from a major manufacturer that has a documented history of giving a darn. I've never heard of Kimber being confused as one of those companies. This leads me to believe, however, that your gun is old and out of warranty which would make it your problem no matter what company you're dealing with. I'm sorry for your loss.

I love my brothers Pro Carry II, shoots like a dream, looks great but so do Springfields, Sig's, S&W's etc. and they have real warranties. I will take any of the other manufacturer's 1911's for that reason alone. I really don't know how Kimber keeps doing what they are doing. Sorry about the issues with your gun Rick.

That's sux. Sorry to hear that about any gun manufacturer. Fyi, Para has a lifetime warranty. Ruger is a good option. So glad I never got a solo.

So rick9748 how old is the gun?

How long have you had it?

Are you the original owner?

What happened when you cracked the frame? (i.e. shooting reloads? factory ammo? what was the situation?)

I like Kimber guns but I buy them knowing that after the warranty expires it's going to be my problem.

I also know that if I abuse one of my other makers pistols I'm on the hook for those damages as well.

S&W is starting to not fix everything if you are not the original owner as well.

When Kimber first got into making 1911 clones, there were a lot of complaints about their customer service, with reports of guns being sent back multiple times for the same problem and warranties not honored. I had thought the problems had been resolved. Maybe not.

Jim

I really don't know how Kimber keeps doing what they are doing.

It really is kind of amazing, since there are higher-quality 1911s available from other makers at every price point in Kimber's lineup. Focusing on making pretty guns and then filling gun rags' ad space with pretty photos of those pretty guns seems to be a pretty effective business model, even if those pretty guns are stuffed with a bunch of cheap, low-quality components, and even if the company's CS is worthless. Your average buyer in a gun shop thinks Kimber represents the pinnacle brand of the 1911 world.

My Hi-Points have a 100%, no questions asked warranty. I've heard their customer service is excellent as well. But I wouldn't know personally, I've never had a problem with one.
Guess you don't always get what you pay for. But in some cases get much more! :D

Thanks for feed back

Glad to hear that I am not the only one having problems. Do hate to scrap a 1,000 of my money and have no gun. Feels like I got ripped off somewhere. :mad:

If it were Ruger, they would've given you a new gun, no charge, if that same scenario happened with them. They have even honored expired warrantees, and replaced components that were damaged by reloads.

If it were Ruger, they would've given you a new gun, no charge, if that same scenario happened with them. They have even honored expired warrantees, and replaced components that were damaged by reloads.

Ruger has no warranty expressed or implied...

What they do have is top notch customer service...

"Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

So again as asked by jglsprings

"So rick9748 how old is the gun?

How long have you had it?

Are you the original owner?

What happened when you cracked the frame? (i.e. shooting reloads? factory ammo? what was the situation?)"

While I do agree that alot of other companies have better CS and support the customer better after the sale (Ruger/S&W to name a few), it's not really feesable to cover everything that could happen to a gun in its life time. If you ran hot reloads in it then its your fault and not Kimber's. How about some more info about the situation. In the end you could always get a replacement frame and either sell it when it gets back or shoot it again but from Kimbers description of what needs replacing, it sounds like you were running hot reloads.

Targa said:
I really don't know how Kimber keeps doing what they are doing.
Lots of expensive, full-page ads in all the gun magazines both ensures a constant source of new customers and offers significant protection against ever seeing a negative review.

Ding-Ding-Ding!

Ding-Ding-Ding,,,

Lots of expensive, full-page ads in all the gun magazines both ensures a constant source of new customers and offers significant protection against ever seeing a negative review.

We have a winner!

Aarond

Odd that, I have never had problems with Kimber customer service,. As asked previously, what is the full story? is this a new gun, old gun? Are you the original owner or was it pre owned? while you never abused it perhaps the previous owner did? curious.

If getting a new gun was my only option, I would just get a new frame and take that old, working Kimber parts and build a new gun. It might be a worthwhile project. It would be less expensive than a new gun.

A buddy of mine had a cracked frame on his Springfield, through which he'd fired thousands of handloads (probably 20-30 thousand). They looked at it, reminded him that handloads void whatever warranty there might be, but if he'd pay for a new frame, they'd fit all his parts to it, refinish, etc., at no additional charge. He got what amounted to a new gun, for the price of the frame.
I've owned five Springfields, have dealt with them on a number of levels beyond just buying their guns, and recommend them highly.
Kimber should offer to do SOMETHING for the customer?

While I'm not one to bash gun manufacturers, I do have a 1911-loony friend who has a saying that "Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers". I've never owned one, so I really can't say... but they do have some pretty ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back