Killer Croc - Scenario

What firearm do you use to take out an 18 foot croc?

• .300 Win Mag Bolt action

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • 375 H&H elephant gun (Double Barrel)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • 45-70 Govt' in a Marlin Guide rifle (lever action)

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 460 Weatherby Magum bolt action rifle

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 50 cal Barett CQB Sniper rifle (semi auto)

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Other option

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
Gators don't scare me next to a boat or canoe or (with some distance) on foot, but I still can't bring myself to swim in a freshwater canal or river. I don't care how many other people do it and say it's o.k. Anytime I get close to freshwater, be it a canal drainage ditch or marsh, I'm on the lookout. They don't keep me away, but I'm ever vigilant.
The most dangerous place to be is in their ambush zone, which is right on the water's edge. In Australia and Africa, I understand that's where most people are grabbed.

The most dangerous place to be is in their ambush zone, which is right on the water's edge. In Australia and Africa, I understand that's where most people are grabbed.

That makes sense, because that's where they often take other land dwelling prey... when they come to the edge. There was a rather unsettling sequence of photos in National Geographic of a wildebeest (if I recall) getting taken by a big croc as he came to the edge to drink - croc caught him on the end of the muzzle and just dragged him into the water where he could get a better purchase on him. The look on the face of the wildebeest was, even to this homo sapiens, sheer terror as he was caught and dragged to his death.

I don't think I'd feel real comfortable bathing in croc-containing waters, tho they say hippos actually kill more people in Africa than anything else.

Wayne,
If you ever come across a 16" Porosus next to your 18' boat while hunting ducks, you'll change your mind.

Sam :D

Here are some Gnus getting a wakeup call at water's edge by a hungry croc with bad aim:
crocodile-attack-1.jpg

have you guys seen the movie 'lake placid' I would not be surprised to see a huge croc beyond our records that we have now. records show not what exists but what we have seen. the ocean is huuuge. who knows what is out there. :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What's a Porosus? Are they in NM? All we have around here are alligators and I don't think I've ever seen one over 13' or so. I try to think of them as big green dogs,and don't really mind them as they don't seem to mind me. Again, I get the creeps swimming in freshwater.

Last time I swam in freshwater, it was because I lost the canoe launching it at a boat ramp. Danged thing shot clear over to the other side. I swam across the river, got the canoe, and took the kids canoeing. About a 1/4 mile up the river about an 8 footer came crashing out of the palmettos and dived off the riverbank, FWOOSH maybe 10-15 feet away. I guess we spooked it.

Kids thought it was neat, and I did too, but I might not have thought so had that gator splashed into the river a quarter mile downstream. When I was swimming.

I hear we have some kind of salt water crocodile here, but I have no idea if that's true or not. Maybe those are bigger?

Last edited:
Best way I think, feed him to death- start off with an attorney appetizer followed by a good helping of Fonda Fondue and then a Hillary Hogie. Works out for everybody the way I see it-except for the crock.

One way to hunt them is to take a 6 inch treble hook and bait it. With the hook attached to link chain, put the chain around a large limb. Hang the hook about 4 feet over the edge of the bank above the water. When you come upon your gator, shoot it. The height you hang the hook above the wator will determine how big a gator you can get.

I've been canoeing and tubing around the Gainesville, FL area. We saw a few gators in the 6 foot range while canoeing and that was still pretty scary. Canoes are not the most stable things in the world and a gator could probably tip it pretty easily (especially with the occupants of the canoe all leaning to the other side of the canoe trying to get away!). The funny thing is the tubing area (basically sitting in an inner tube with your keister hanging down as gator bait) was simply fenced off with some kind of plastic mesh to "keep the gators out"! I don't know how much I trust that mesh! I think I'm done with tubing from now on!

I would use those exploding arrows Rambo used. Either that or I would slingshot a half stick of dynamite near it's head. ;) Blowing stuff up is fun indeed. :D

Back