Killer Croc - Scenario

What firearm do you use to take out an 18 foot croc?

• .300 Win Mag Bolt action

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • 375 H&H elephant gun (Double Barrel)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • 45-70 Govt' in a Marlin Guide rifle (lever action)

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • 460 Weatherby Magum bolt action rifle

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 50 cal Barett CQB Sniper rifle (semi auto)

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Other option

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters
grimjaw, do you really think you can control a 20 foot+ croc? Maybe if you had a thick stainless steel cable attacked to a crane you could noose it but that is too much trouble. Anything less and you are looking to get yourself in a world of hurt. One whip of a croc's tail is enough to break your leg. These are VERY powerful creatures we are talking about.

After watching the Croc. Hunter, and then my Mom actually meeting them (Terri is from Oregon) for reasons that I can't disclose, if you got the noose on it and let it thrash around then it's own body toxins will kill it (due to stress). You don't have to get anywhere near it.

But honesly, in this case they should just call the Zoo in Australia and get Steve to go and capture it if it is a world record. And if a croc has already gotten him (I haven't seen any episodes in awhile that were new) then you always have Jeff Corwin and others out there.

But to piss off the peta types, I like gator tail, you can get that in Florida :D.

Wayne

I got shot in the head with a bottle rocket this past 4th of July. It hurt, but there's no way it would ever penetrate a crocs skull.

I'd bring a 12 gauge with at least a 5 round capacity loaded with 3.5" slugs. I know, I'm so original.

But if I wanted to make it a real challenge, I'd take a truck down there, tie the winch cable so it will work as a noose, get a pole, get the noose around the croc using the pole, and drag him out.

Capt Charlie said:
Hi Trip! Not doubting you, just couldn't find it on the Animal Planet web site. I think I read somewhere that gators and crocs never stop growing, and that they die from natural factors before becoming true giants. The record 17 footer was considered only from wild takes, but I believe there are bigger in captivity.

The above reminded me of something regarding the show I watched. First of all, I couldn't find a thing about it on Animal Planets website either. After a bit of "hard thinking" I think it was one of those "Extreme _____" show's, whereas the gator was only one portion of the show. If you could locate the scheduling for this past weekend I might be able to remember the name of the show.

Lastly, your comment "only from wild takes" (assuming you meant lakes) reminded me that this particular story (whether my memory is correct and it was a 20-footer or not) took place in a private community with about a 30-40 acre lake. Homes all around the perimeter. The "tone" of the residents of this particular lake was one of "they don't bother us, we don't bother them". And if I remember correctly, the DNR fella from Florida which was interviewed stated something along the lines of "when gators get 7' or longer they are captured and....."

Can't remember the rest of his comment word for word but the ones over 7' were either "dealt with" or moved to another location especially when they're captured in a populated area (such as this private community). I think this gator was moved at some point (around the 12' length) and then made it's way back (not sure how they knew it was the same one) only to be ignored and left alone. Pets went missing...etc, all the cliche's.

That's all I got, hopefully I'm not full of crap, but it's what I remember from the show.

Edit: I think my 20-footer memory is off base. What I've found is the world record American alligator being 19' 2" long. So my story while honest from me, is untrue as my memory is doo-doo. God I hate being liar. :cool:

Sorry 'bout that Trip. I meant taken from the wild as opposed to captive critters that get lots of food, TLC, and lady gators (no wonder they always look like they're smiling :D) . Last week, on either Animal Planet or Natl. Geographic channel, they did a thing on Sanibelle Island in Fla., where folks don't "take care" of big gators. Seems those gators have put humans on the menu, and folks are rethinking their peace treaty with the critters. A couple of years ago, I went to S. Florida for some scuba diving at John Pennicamp, and managed to get in a few days of bass fishing in the canals south of Miami. I like to fish topwater, and every other cast had a 4-6 foot gator following the lure. Glad I didn't catch one :eek: :D . Obviously, I didn't catch any bass :( :D . But I was ready for them big gators with my trusty Walther PPK :D .

Whereas the current officially sanctioned record might be somewhat less than 18 feet, many hunter/writers from the 19th century into the 20th century have noted credible stories of some approaching 30 feet in length. However even a 15 footer is an enormous and very powerful reptile. Peter Capstick Hathaway relates a story of one allegedly taking a rhino into the water after an hourlong struggle in one of his books.

But since stopping a croc is a brain shot; I'd take any big game cartridge .25 or over with a heavily constructed bullet. And I think I'd wallop the spine at a few points just to make sure.

LOL! :D

Capt Charlie, your gonna laugh at me.

I finally found the story (or mention of it) at this site.

"The vote came 13 days after Sanibel landscaper Janie Melsek, 54, was attacked by an 11-foot, 9-inch alligator as she worked beside a pond. Melsek died two days later. "

/\ That's the story told on Animal Planet or National Geographic. Pretty far from a 20 footer eh?! :o

.308/7.62 Nato will demise any gator or croc that was ever put on this planet in the last 50,000 years. TAIL is good. So is gator tail.

Trip20

You mean you didn't have your Barrett M82A1 strapped to your side?!!!
Well, I s'pose I could've brought it along, tied some fishin' line to the muzzle, and used it for a flippin' rod :D .

And yup, that was the show I was talking about. The landscaper lady didn't actually die from the gator bite though; she died from the resulting infection.

A while back, Natl. Geographic did a thing on an extinct, super croc from Australia that reached lengths of 40 feet! :eek: They said it fed on dinosaurs! Guess I'd have to rip the fishin' line off of that Barrett and hope like hell it was enough gun! :D

I seem to recall a post awhile back by Rich Lucibella with a photo of a huge Nile croc he shot. What's the story behind that, Rich?

Real Story: What Frenchie did...

Thanks for input gentlemen. In the real story, the government gave Frenchie 3 months to get the Gator. The Army had previously hunted the gator but failed to kill it for one reason or another.

His plan was to use steel tubing and build an impregnable cage, and capture the specimen. (Bad plan to begin with) They started with a goat's head as bait, then a live chicken, and then in the true Jurassic park tradition, used a live goat.

The result: A destroyed cage, dead goat, loss of $12,000 in underwater / nightvision camera(s) and one TV show on PBS last week. (Nice catch DNS)

Rethinking my original vote now (.50 BMG), I would go with a 45-70 and be confident that would be enough. Happy hunting. Im sure the job is still available to those who want it..... :eek:

There are reputable stories of people poaching gators with .22's. I've known people who've taken them with 357's. Known one or two crazy rednecks who will jump on a gator and wrestle it. Even though we are talking about much larger crocodiles, I think any decent 30 caliber would do quite well.

My dad's friend lost a son when I was a kid. I don't know if this made it into the "official" count of alligator attacks- I remember there was speculation as to whether he drowned before the alligator got him or in an attack. I don't think he just drowned as he was known as a good swimmer, and was just swimming across a canal while his friends watched.

Gators don't scare me next to a boat or canoe or (with some distance) on foot, but I still can't bring myself to swim in a freshwater canal or river. I don't care how many other people do it and say it's o.k. Anytime I get close to freshwater, be it a canal drainage ditch or marsh, I'm on the lookout. They don't keep me away, but I'm ever vigilant.

Last edited:
I saw the programme about the hunting for that crocodile on PBS one week and the hard bit is finding it and getting a clear shot since those buggers are really quick and can easily move their body distance in a strike. They never could get it in the end. It damaged the cage and got free and was believed to have moved on elsewhere as the deaths seemed to have stopped.

Crocodiles can also survive various shots. I seen footage, photos of some having half their jaws shot off, shot in the eye, legs blown off, tails half gone and such and they have a really potent immune system. I can quite see how one could take a few shots especially if they made quick withdrawals, though at the size it is reputed its likely near the end of its lifespan and this story is closer to like 4 years old.

Of course other times crocodiles get killed by one bullet and poachers are very successful at hunting them. If I was going after them I would tend to avoid alot of full metal jackets, armour piercing and so on as you will just shoot through the croc and they have a good chance of surviving. You want something to stay in the body carrying on doing damage or bounce around in the body, or go for a good shot aiming for the brain or the internal organs. Of course in most countries they are protected by law.

Back