Kids in the house and night stand guns: empty chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep a gun in night stand at night (beretta 92fs with safety on). During the day the nightstand is padlocked and there is a safe in the night stand that the gun is locked in - so double locked. I unlock it all when I go to bed. I put my phone next to the gun so that there is no way I could forget to lock it in the morning when I wake up. I've tried the push button safes and they just weren't quick enough when I was jolted up from a deep sleep. Additionally, I've got cameras and a house alarm on every door/window.

My carry gun is locked in another safe in my closet and is either always in the safe or on me. Long guns are in a big gun safe. I've taught the kids about guns but I still would never trust their curiosity.

This post is more about bouncing around ideas about how best to have a gun readily available for home defense, yet safe from little (or not so little but immature) young ones.

I do not believe in electronic safes, so I always purchase safes with keys. I keep the keys to my rifle safe inside my bedside, push button safe:

I am not a believer in "supercarry" (carrying inside the home) so when I am at home the gun is in my bedside safe. By the way I recommend V-line or Fort Knox push button safes for those who like me are not comfortable with electronic safes. These push button safes are very quick to access and very reliable!.

However when I sleep, I do not trust that I would have the time to access my bedside safe (which is under my bed) during a home invasion. So while I sleep I keep my gun un-holstered under my mattress, loaded mag but WITHOUT A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER.

So my safety approach with kids in the house is:

1. Long guns in rifle safe with keys stored in bedside push button safe.
2. Hand guns for home defense (and keys to the rifle safe) in bedside push button quick safe, chamber loaded.
3. While sleeping, handgun under mattress with a full magazine but without a round in the chamber.

How do you fellow gun owners with kids manage your situation? I'd be eager to learn about different approaches and ideas.

I always pocket carry a P3AT at home. I add a G26 IWB when in public. No kids at home any more, but grandkids from time to time and I also want to keep my home defense guns out of any visitors's hands including the cable guy, electrician or just the cleaning service.

I will not own an electronic safe either. I love electronic gadgets like most guys, but I also understand that when something goes wrong with them it's usually without warning. I won't use one especially for my dedicated defense weapons.

I have one of my FAS1 safes bolted to my bed frame and it's right next to my pillow. I am a side sleeper so my right hand can easily access the safe from a sleeping position. Since the safe uses a holster to present the gun to me when the door opens, it's impossible to grab the trigger in the dark and it's always in the exact same place making it very easy in complete darkness to safely have my gun in hand.

7ace3f934d94a0223db893103bc11c30.jpg

My primary gun in the safe is a G17 and my carry gun goes in the bottom of the safe at night so if I get up and grab the G17 my wife can grab the G26 if needed. Spare mags are also in the safe standing up under the latch making it easy to grab one with my off hand.

a69218e0a7991ee21bb651b83c6f3da7.jpg

Long guns for home defense (Rifle and shotgun also chambered) are in the big safe and that is the direction my wife would go if needed while calling 911.

If anyone else of any age is in the house any are guns locked in a safe or on my person. At any night loaded guns are in a locked finger print opening safe.

Since the safe uses a holster to present the gun to me when the door opens, it's impossible to grab the trigger in the dark and it's always in the exact same place making it very easy in complete darkness to safely have my gun in hand.

7ace3f934d94a0223db893103bc11c30.jpg
a69218e0a7991ee21bb651b83c6f3da7.jpg
I really really like how your gun is in a holster when opening that push button safe. Mine is not (as you can see in the picture in the OP) so I must be careful when grabbing it from the safe, although my gun has a thumb safety and the safety is engaged when the gun is in the safe.

What safe is it?

With kids in that age range, I would be more concerned with the fact that your car keys aren't locked in that small safe alongside your firearms.
The older one at least, is far more likely to take your vehicle for a 2am joy ride than play with a gun.
The statistics don't lie.

This is also a GREAT fact to point out to the anti-2A crowd as well.
When I speak to one who starts spouting off about about mandatory locks, safes, etc. I ask them if they lock their vehicle keys in a safe as well, then follow up with "child" deaths via firearm vs vehicle.

Hi all,

I have kids in the house of different ages: a 4 y.o, a 6 y.o, an 8 y.o and a 14 y.o.

My hunting and target guns are locked away in the rifle safe in the basement. I do not believe in electronic safes, so I always purchase safes with keys. I keep the keys to my rifle safe inside my bedside, push button safe:

An unloaded gun is a rock.
No, it's simply an unloaded gun.

This notion that one cannot access and make a weapon ready having been startled awake at 3am is silly. If you cannot muster the composure and dexterity to insert a magazine, rack a slide, flick off a safety, etc, then you aren't going to be able to effectively activate a WML, ID a threat vs non threat, align sights, and squeeze off properly placed shots.

I'm not advocating one way to store a firearm versus another.
It's just silly to assert one cannot accomplish A, but can accomplish B... when both A and B are similar.
In fact, in this example, making a weapon ready is the "easier" of the two.

If someone breaks in at 3AM and you're in a sound sleep when all hell breaks loose, are you sure you will have the ability to reach your gun under your mattress and then load the chamber in time to prevent a tragedy?

If you've set yourself up for such a scenario, then you've already failed.
Point being that you allowed someone to get that far into your home without being notified in time to properly react.

99.99999999999% of criminals aren't popping skylights with charges and repelling in with guns blazing.
It is up to you to set up such defenses that buy you time, distance, etc.

Last edited:
With children in the house, I want the gun to be a rock (for the child) therefore the idea to keep the chamber empty since for them it is an extra step before they get injured, and racking the slide on a handgun with a heavy recoil spring can be almost impossible for a small child. It is even hard for my wife!

Yes, I would have to open the safe and rack the slide in the case of a home invasion, but it is a conscious trade off. The danger that firearms pose to children is much much greater than the risk of a home invasion, I think.

But again, I want to say reiterate that for conceal carry I do not believe in carrying empty chamber as one may not have time to rack the slide when under assault.

And at home, if I wake up and the perp is already pointing a gun at me while I lie in bed, it is already too late.

Last edited:
With children in the house, I want the gun to be a rock (for the child) therefore the idea to keep the chamber empty.

Yes, I would have to open the safe and rack the slide in the case of a home invasion, but it is a conscious trade off. The danger that firearms pose to children is much much greater than the risk of a home invasion, I think.
You are quite correct.

I grew up on a large multi-section ranch, guns were a tool and at hand at all times, available to all ages. But that is a much different environment than most are used to.

Today, many of the youngins in our family are "city kids" and not used to firearms being so readily accessible. So when certain family visits us here or at our cabin, all firearms are locked up, no exceptions unless it is on mine or my wives person.

I really really like how your gun is in a holster when opening that push button safe. Mine is not (as you can see in the picture in the OP) so I must be careful when grabbing it from the safe, although my gun has a thumb safety and the safety is engaged when the gun is in the safe.

What safe is it?

It's a FAS1 Safe. It also opens automatically with a gas spring when unlocked making it a true one-handed operation.

Yeah maybe not. I do not believe in empty chamber carry either. The problem here is kids.

I sleep with the door cracked open, next to the kids' room. They do from time to time come into our room or crawl in bed with us. That's the reason for the empty chamber.
Why do you not trust electronic vaults? They are accessible via keys as well.

I would under no circumstances have a pistol loaded in the house that is not on your person or in a vault/locked case. In addition to your kids, they have friends who will come over. The danger is high and you only need one screw up.

When the kids were young we used electronic vaults. They could be opened by touch and were safe from the kidlets.

With children in the house, I want the gun to be a rock (for the child) therefore the idea to keep the chamber empty since for them it is an extra step before they get injured, and racking the slide on a handgun with a heavy recoil spring can be almost impossible for a small child. It is even hard for my wife!

I can't begin to tell you just how wrong you are. NEVER underestimate children particularly when it involves firearms. And I'm talking from personal experience. The consequences can be horrendous and a sight you do not want to see.

I bneleiev many jurisdictions have laws regarding leaving guns where minors can get access. Maybe it is time to review those. I dont have kids, grandkids occasionally.

Guns are in an electronically locked box.

Had grand kid visitor last Aug. Id been to the range a few days before they arrived. I left one holstered gun on the desk in the BR/den. Grandson came down and informed Dad and I that there was a gun in the room. It was secured.

Grandson came down and informed Dad and I that there was a gun in the room.
That's a good kid...and well trained; he helped you correct your mistake!...I know you passed out the 'attaboys' to a responsible young man. Well done sir & kudos to his dad as well.

As an addendum to my previous post #17, the door to my downstairs gun & wood working shop is locked with children in the house or expected.

Rod

:confused:

All the kid has to do is cycle the action and it defeats the device.
Which (my experience with untrained kids) most will instinctively do on their own from seeing TV/movies.
On the other hand, if the owner forgets or falls back to old habits under duress and squeezes.... :eek:

I'll just stick with Simplex accessed lock boxes.
No keys...
No electronics...
No tumblers to fumble...
No numbers to see in the dark...

Just a simple touch pattern, in any combination of my choosing :)

Not sure how that's any different than just not having one in the chamber..gotta rack the slide to chamber a round in either case.
The added benefit that I see in the "Safety Bullet" (vs keeping an empty chamber) is that it disables the firearm should someone attempt to shoot it with the device in.

This would be good for kids, because as it was mentioned before, young ones might attempt to rack the slide after pulling the trigger on an empty chamber, following what they see in media/video games.

TBM900: "All the kid has to do is cycle the action and it defeats the device."
Yes, but unless the kid knows about the safety bullet in advance (and who in their right mind would explain to a child how to disable the safety device) what the kid would do first is pull the trigger, and that would disable the firearm.

This would also be the case if an intruder got hold of the firearm first. I see there is merit in this safety device. The only downside is having to rack the slide before making the firearm ready, but with kids this might be a very worthwhile trade off.

Last edited:
My kids are grown and gone so I don't have the delimma you have, but I can honestly say the safest place to keep a handgun in a housefull of inquisitive kiddos (and their friends) is on your person.

Exactly. Then you have control and know the status of your weapon at all times. If you are not controlling it then have it locked up.

The other layer is education. Do not make guns some mysterious object of desire to be played with.

Remove the mystery, teach them, and start those lifetime safety habits now.

Don't want to argue this very small point but how would the kid know this 'safety round' was in there vs an unloaded chamber. Either squeeze the trigger, and it 'clicks' or squeeze the trigger and nothing happens(chamber empty)..but it either case, if the kid knows to rack the slide-bad news..
what the kid would do first is pull the trigger, and that would disable the firearm.

It really doesn't 'disable the firearm', does it? The kid can still rack the slide. It's akin to a snap cap, correct? 'Disable' would mean he can't rack the slide at all.
• Load the Safety Bullet® in your firing chamber
• When the trigger is pulled, the Safety Bullet® locks itself in the firing chamber
• The gun becomes an instant paperweight
• If you need to use your firearm, simply cycle the action to eject the Safety Bullet® and load a live round

Guess I don't get it..how this is different than a snapcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back