Keeping a round count

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathys

Inactive
I often see on these forums and others like it people mention how many rounds they've put through a firearm throughout its life. I've only been shooting for a little less than a year but I haven't really been keeping track of how many rounds I put through each gun. Should I be? And for those of you that do, do you keep a strict count or just sort of estimate it?

Shooting is a hobby to me. Keeping track of the rounds I fire thru each gun sounds to much like work. I don't see any logical reason to track how many rounds I've fired, so I don't.

I don't keep anything more than a ballpark, in-my-head estimate, and then only on certain guns. If I bought an older, used gun, I don't even bother, for example.

naw.

I just shoot em as best I can as much as I can. If i'm selling its just like every other gun, "not even a box" LOL riiiight ;):rolleyes:

I kept an accurate round count on three pistols that I have back when I shot competitively. My reasoning was to see how long they would last, because I was shooting around 900 rounds a month. That and I replaced the recoil and main springs at regular intervals. I planned on shooting competitively until late in life, but a motorcycle accident forced early retirement from competitive shooting.

Once upon a time I was an engineer, so I keep track of everything. I record how many rounds and what caliber I shoot each time I go to the range. What if anything I will ever do with this data I have no clue :)

I keep track on a couple of Glocks I shoot all the time, mainly to see how long they will go before things start to break.

Other than that, I usually dont bother. Although its usually not to hard to figure things out if you shoot them on a regular basis, and know what you shoot when you go.

I track rounds fired in a simple spreadsheet.

Tracking so I know when to perform manufacture recommended maintenance and spring replacement.

Also track issues to see if there are any increasing issues or patterns (gun or ammo).

I was particularly concerned about my .22LR conversion, but after 360 rds 2 issues (FTF, FTE). My 9mm barrel has had 1 FTF out of 350 rounds.

I know is better than I think.

I keep count for maintenance purposes, selling or trading down the road, and should it need to go back for repairs for a particular reason I can give an accurate figure on how many rounds I've run through it.
I also keep a break down on what kind and how many rds of different ammo I've used. To try and watch for trends of any kind that a particular pistol may or may have with different types of ammo.

Yep...I do for a cpl of my plastic framed autos...just curious as to how they'll hold up. I have never bothered with any other type of gun...been at it for 53 years now too. If you keep a loading or range book, it's pretty easy to keep it up to date...Rod

I've been logging rounds since 2006. Wish I had done it all along. The only real value to me of logging rounds is so I can see at a glance that I need to work less and shoot more!

It just occurred to me there should be a smart phone app for this...and there are! I just may start keeping track.

kaths said:
I've only been shooting for a little less than a year but I haven't really been keeping track of how many rounds I put through each gun. Should I be? And for those of you that do, do you keep a strict count or just sort of estimate it?
I keep an accurate count. I write it down in a small notebook at the range, then transfer it to an Excel spreadsheet when I get home. I track rounds fired by firearm, and I also track each magazine. The gun count tells me when I should think about replacing the recoil spring. Tracking by magazine allows me to see if/when a particular magazine is misbehaving.

In the spreadsheet, I use a separate worksheet for each firearm.

I make a note in a spreadsheet....most weeks...when I think about what guns I shot this last week / how many rounds per gun.

Its just a part of the hobby ...and I'm always amazed at how many rounds I put thru 4 or 5 of my favorite guns...but what the heck...( and it helps me evaluate when to change springs on 1911's, etc...)..

I don't keep anything more than a ballpark, in-my-head estimate, and then only on certain guns. If I bought an older, used gun, I don't even bother, for example.

This. I have a general idea of how many rounds I have shot through my handguns, but I don't keep track of the rounds through used guns. For instance, my 1903 Springfield has probably had more rounds through it than I can count before it ever got into my hands, so I don't see any point in recording how many rounds I personally have shot through it.

I budget my rounds per session and I know how often I shoot each gun so that part is easy. In addition I keep a running tally of my ammo inventory so it backs up my round count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back