Just howDoes RUGER hold No.1 CS?

My first handgun was a Dan Wesson .357 revolver. This was in the late 70s. The lady behind the counter tried to talk me out of it. She said I would be better off with a Security Six. But because of an article by Massad Ayoob on the DW I went ahead and bought it. Should have listened to the lady!

I had to send it back to Dan Wesson after about a box of .38s! When I got it back I traded it for a used 4" stainless Security Six (pre warning). I still have it and it's had thousands of rounds through it, mostly reloads. It remains tight to this day.

I have since learned not to trust gun writers. I don't read any gun rags anymore, (except in the barber shop :)

Own Superblack 44mag old model which I've fired thousands of full power Keith loads from. Also security six 357 and now LCP. Well built guns that got their start using investment castings to replace many machining operations and replacing side plate that S&W uses. You can't beat them for the price.

JJ: I bought a [pre-owned] DW14 in '91 upon return from the GULF from a friend of my nephew. He had ordered a new 6" barrel/shroud set and was sent a set for a Mod. 15 instead. Complained of it shooting too low. Took it off his hands for a Benjamin. It had a 6" and 2 1/2" barrel when bought new, but the man said that less than a full box of fact. Fed. 125gr JHPs was put through it.

He was so disgusted with the "trouble" the new setup gave him, I just didn't have the heart to make him suffer any longer, so when I asked how much, and he said to make him an offer, I felt ol' Benny would make him feel better......No sense kicking him while he was down.

LSS...Not a problem with anything put through it (so far...around 2200+/- rds. through all three barrels). Filed the front sight on the Mod 15 shroud to regulate 158gr XTP loads @ 30yds, (above listed max data) and it's one helluva tree stand backup gun. Closed the gap to where a piece of cling-wrap will drag/stretch on the cylinder/barrel without tearing, and velocity increased by 77 FPS avg. Threw away the gauge that came with the gun and now just tighten the barrel snug with the cylinder. The DWs are not quite the Equal of the RUGERs, but they're a d@mn close second in gettin' the job done. Bein' pretty don't always get it done.

Had a chance to buy a COLT .357 at the same time for $125.00 (an older model with an 8" +/- barrel IIRC), but I didn't because it had the exposed/unprotected extractor rod and I didn't like the way it looked.......If my legs were about 6" longer....I'd kick myself in the ass for passing it up. [It might have been a Trooper, or Highway Patrolman, but I really can't remember exactly].

WILL.

I might buy a Ruger revolver but they don't have any non-1911 steel semi-autos. Getting harder and harder to find good traditional semis.:(

A steel 1911 pattern gun isn't traditional???

I have 10 Ruger handguns, and 5 of their rifles. I am very fond of SOME of their models, others, I could care less.

One thing I hold Ruger in high regard for, is the way they do customer service, and especially, today's version of their warranty.

The way Ruger gets a reputation for good CS is to make almost all their guns right in the first place. If, once in a while, they do goof, their CS can take the time and trouble to make things right because they aren't swamped by complaints.

If a company were able to make each and every product perfect, they wouldn't need any CS, but that day is not yet here.

Jim

James k, Thanks for the "almost" in your statement. Yes they make "almost" all neat firearms and some quite innovative, but alas, they seem to be moving out of the affordable catagory along with most other manufacturers.

I bought four guns with a lifetime warranty and didn't really consider Ruger because they don't have a warranty. However, I found out that with their CS, their lack of a warranty is better than most that have a warranty. I am pleased with my Mk III and I am confident that a problem will be resolved to my satisfaction if I ever have one. I bought Ruger based on their reputation of good customer service and quality.

Ruger's high Customer Satisfaction scores seem to be the result of a pretty simple Customer Service model: Keep the customer happy, within reason, by making sure any Ruger firearm in the customer's possession operates in the manner it was intended to when it left the factory.

I've purchased three new Ruger handguns in the last three years. One of them, a SR1911, had the front sight shear off under recoil. I estimate the pistol had approximately 1000 total rounds through it when this occurred. I contacted Ruger Customer Service, and they offered to either send out a new sight, or provide a shipping label so I could send them the whole gun. I opted for the new sight, they sent it out, and I had it within 3 days.

Then things turned bad. I buggered up the slide while installing the new sight, and made a mess of the sight itself. With my tail between my legs, I contacted Ruger, (who IMHO had every right to tell me to pound sand), and asked if there was anything they could do. They promptly sent out a shipping label, I sent them the whole pistol, and one week later, I had my pistol back, with a new sight, and a new slide!

THAT is how Ruger achieves superiority in Customer Satisfaction, at least in my case. I will buy more of their products, and I tell folks how Ruger went above and beyond to satisfy me. Kudos to Ruger; I sincerely appreciate the way they treated me.

My SR9 has been flawless. So has my LC9-S. They're not much cheaper than a Glock, which frankly inflates their prices to consumers to make up for the super cheap deal they give to police departments. They're a polymer framed striker fired weapon that is no worse than a Glock. Just google "Glock Recall" and dozens of hits come up. Broken frames. .40 kabooms. Phase 3 malfunctions.

The simple fact is the more guns sold the more likely a problem is to arise.Glock owns the polymer pistol market.

Today, it seems like so many of the "old time" U.S. Manufacturers have really slipped - Colt, Remington, etc. And let's face it . . the "new ones" sure aren't the quality of the "old ones"

Because WE, as the gun buying public, expect prices to also be like they were decades ago and these folks have to cut every nickel they can to compete with the cheap foreign crap we so dearly love to have.

"Back in the day", when foreign guns were imported (milsurps notwithstanding), the majority were of the same quality and priced as such, making the decision to "buy American" even easier.

Personally, the company in any product field that has no need for customer service is number 1.............;)

Ruger's high Customer Satisfaction scores seem to be the result of a pretty simple Customer Service model: Keep the customer happy, within reason, by making sure any Ruger firearm in the customer's possession operates in the manner it was intended to when it left the factory.

I've purchased three new Ruger handguns in the last three years. One of them, a SR1911, had the front sight shear off under recoil. I estimate the pistol had approximately 1000 total rounds through it when this occurred. I contacted Ruger Customer Service, and they offered to either send out a new sight, or provide a shipping label so I could send them the whole gun. I opted for the new sight, they sent it out, and I had it within 3 days.

Then things turned bad. I buggered up the slide while installing the new sight, and made a mess of the sight itself. With my tail between my legs, I contacted Ruger, (who IMHO had every right to tell me to pound sand), and asked if there was anything they could do. They promptly sent out a shipping label, I sent them the whole pistol, and one week later, I had my pistol back, with a new sight, and a new slide!

THAT is how Ruger achieves superiority in Customer Satisfaction, at least in my case. I will buy more of their products, and I tell folks how Ruger went above and beyond to satisfy me. Kudos to Ruger; I sincerely appreciate the way they treated me.

Try that with the fabled fanboy favorite Smith & Wesson and see how it goes. Then try that with any other brand and see how it goes. that is why they are the best of the best in CS and overall value.

Here is the deal, Ruger makes the gun the public requests. Most are affordable, very functional, and an all around better deal for the greater demand. People who bash them do so based on their economy versions by, comparing them to the best of the competitors.

There is nothing quality wise lacking with a Ruger revolver. There is nothing quality wise with the quality of their polymer pistols either. Just know when you go and buy one for a hundred or hundreds less than the competition, they are selling a quality product at a price point the consumer respond to. They aren't meant to be a top of the line cosmetic gun with a fabled name and cult following. They are meant to be accurate, reliable and eye appealing. And, they are.

Ruger is the best of the best. They get what they do right. If they don't, they make it right on their dime and in a time frame that shows they value their customer. Pretty cool really. And, they can and do make as quality firearm's, both cosmetically and functionality, as any mass production company out there. You just have to pay for them. Like you do the others.

Maybe one day when I quite being so frugal and develop into a vein gun collector, I'll say different. Until then, my tightwad nature and, the fact that they are America's number one gun seller, won't allow me to do that. You don't get to be number one in sells doing it wrong. You get to be number one in sells doing what you do better than anyone else. God Bless

Last edited:
Sounds like you are a Ruger fanboy though.................:rolleyes:;)

S&W, Springfield, CZ and many others also make guns the public wants or they wouldn't still be in business with record sales.

I bought four guns with a lifetime warranty and didn't really consider Ruger because they don't have a warranty. However, I found out that with their CS, their lack of a warranty is better than most that have a warranty.

Ruger, at one time, offered the same "standard" warranty as other gun makers. Today, they don't. Ever wonder WHY Ruger doesn't offer a warranty today???

My understanding is, it's because of current warranty laws. Essentially, Ruger decided not to try and meet the legalese requirements of what needs to be written in a warranty, due to the widely differing standards in different places in the US. There are many different requirements of what needs to be expressed or implied, and what passes muster in state A might be grounds for a lawsuit in state B, or C.

So they took the path that says, "we stand behind our products, and that is enough". And, they do.

Ruger, at one time, offered the same "standard" warranty as other gun makers. Today, they don't. Ever wonder WHY Ruger doesn't offer a warranty today???

My understanding is, it's because of current warranty laws. Essentially, Ruger decided not to try and meet the legalese requirements of what needs to be written in a warranty, due to the widely differing standards in different places in the US. There are many different requirements of what needs to be expressed or implied, and what passes muster in state A might be grounds for a lawsuit in state B, or C.

So they took the path that says, "we stand behind our products, and that is enough". And, they do.

That is what I understand but Henry has a very simple written warranty that is basically the same as Ruger. (In my owner's manual)

SIMPLE LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Henry Repeating Arms Company stands behind its products
as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime
warranty. If you have a problem with a Henry rifle, and it is our
fault, we will fix it at any time, and at no charge. The warranty
does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, or accidental
damage to parts.

All products are sold under an implied "condition of merchantability" which basically means they must do what they are sold as being able to do. That implied warranty is nullified if the company issues its own warranty.

So a written warranty that guarantees the gun will be shiny and look nice will cancel the implied warranty that it must work. By not having a warranty, Ruger actually operates under a stronger guarantee than some companies with limited warranties that are full of legal loopholes.

Hi, Osbornk,

While I understand Henry has excellent CS, their warranty is not at all "simple". It is very cleverly written and is almost worthless. First, who determines if a problem is "our fault"? What is "excessive wear..."? What is "accidental"? Who decides and on what basis?

Jim

Before I found this forum, I owned several Taurus and Rossi weapons and one Python. Never had any problems with any and I guess I was lucky. After joining TFL I started to look into Ruger and S&W for my new "go to" wheel. I choose Ruger over S&W because I felt S&W was stuck in a rut and not being innovated enough and Ruger seemed to be really looking forward. Both had very good
CS reports but Ruger got more Yays than S&W. I traded most of my Taurus and one Rossi for my GP 100 & my wife's LCR. The LCR had a cylinder latch problem which Ruger fixed in under one week. No problems since. I hope this answers your post Skeets.
Doc

Hi, Osbornk,

While I understand Henry has excellent CS, their warranty is not at all "simple". It is very cleverly written and is almost worthless. First, who determines if a problem is "our fault"? What is "excessive wear..."? What is "accidental"? Who decides and on what basis?

Jim

I've had a Henry for a few years and follow them in 2 forums. I have yet to read of anyone who was turned down regardless of fault. More often, Henry fixes or sends owners parts that were damaged by the owner.

Back