Just howDoes RUGER hold No.1 CS?

Skeets

Member in memoriam
4 of my last 5 handguns have been Rugers.High quality,fair prices,and great support is why.What TFL say?Thanks guys!

I am up to 4 Rugers now. 100% because they are the only ones SMART enough to figure out.
After the buying rush there may be demand for non standard calibers to wring out some more sales.

I had a 357 mag Black hawk.
this year I got a Single 7 and a SP101 in 327 magnum.
Then as a thank you I purchased a LCP.

Ruger is making some excellent products now. The LC9s trigger should be the standard that other subcompact (or micro) 9s are compared to. I wonder if we'll see a pro series in the SR line.

You can't beat Ruger's CS. I have only had to call on them once in 35 years of Ruger ownership and when I did, they answered the call and then some, I'm up to 20 or so Ruger firearms now.

If they would just build a good shotgun

Ruger is the king of casting, which is where they gain most of their cost savings IMHO, and make a solid budget handgun. They need to have good customer service because too often their initial offering have teething problems right out of the gate. Look at most of their new designs over the last 5-7 years and almost all of them have had recalls or recurring issues with their initial releases. They fix them and make it right but you cannot deny they too often let things slip through the initial QC in new design production. Once they iron out the kinks fix the guns in circulation they are good to go but IMHO there is a pattern.

They make a good if not great mass market production gun made to hit a price point to cater to a mid-low end section of the market. There is a lot of value in their guns when compared to other brands. When you are going after the heart of the mass market in order to be successful like Ruger you need good customer service or you will end up like Taurus.

I like have owned a few Ruger products over the years but the only one that has stuck is a MKII which runs great. I needed a new bolt for this gun and Ruger replaced it after I sent it in. They provide excellent customer service by producing low cost designs using casting and these days MIM. They also take advantage of economy of scale allowing them to build in the cost of CS into the product. Believe me you are paying for that service up front.

I know that they have a strong following but I think there are better guns out there in the market and there is only so much room in the safe. YMMV

Last edited:
Had an excellent experience with Ruger CS myself, as I had an issue with one of the several P95's I owned through the years. Sent it in to Ruger, got a brand new pistol back at no charge!

Sec Six 4" 357
Sec Six 6" 357
Speed Six 2 3/4" 357
Blackhawk 4 5/8" 45 convertible
Single Six 5 1/2" .22 LR/Mag convertible
22/45 4 3/4"
22/45 5.5" bull
SP101 .22 DA 4.5"
P90 DC 45ACP
P97 DC 45ACP
9E 9MM (just acquired so jury is still out)

These I have in my possession now. They all get shot on occasion. I have had other Rugers. I have NEVER had a reason to rely on Ruger customer service.

I have had problems with several new Rugers over the past couple of years, including my first LCR, an SR40C and an SR 45. I think the company has slipped a bit in its recent designs, which may have been rushed to market without being fully tested.

I had to ship the above 3 back to Ruger. The LCR trigger actually BROKE and Ruger fixed it, but they were not able to fix the SR40C which remained finicky in what it would feed. They appeared to have fixed the SR45, which also had feed problems, but a second bad experience with the SR series led to a quick dump of that one.

Would not buy an SR polymer again. Think it's a bad design, weak on the trigger linkage, suspect on extraction and ejection. Have an LCR .357 which has been fine, although I don't dry-fire it like I did the first one. Also my Rugers which are derived from existing designs--my LCPs and 1911--have been fine.

Although Smith and Wesson's service is even better, I remain confident in Ruger as a company because they do stand behind their products and their service is quick and free. Hopefully they will be more careful in testing their new designs.

Look at all the models made by all the companies over the last decade. Almost all of them had shortcomings. Some companies deny the problems, some charge you to fix them, and some eat the mistake at their cost.

I avoid buying any new design. Cars, guns, or dishwashers doesn't matter. Get one that has been tested a few years.

Last edited:
My SR9 has been flawless. So has my LC9-S. They're not much cheaper than a Glock, which frankly inflates their prices to consumers to make up for the super cheap deal they give to police departments. They're a polymer framed striker fired weapon that is no worse than a Glock. Just google "Glock Recall" and dozens of hits come up. Broken frames. .40 kabooms. Phase 3 malfunctions.

Ruger has some smarts.

This is an unusual time for American firearms manufacturers.

Only one can be #1.

Colt is on the way out.

S&W has been the subject of criticism.

It's a good time for Ruger to "kick 'em while they're down," and take the lead.

There are other companies, but none on the level of the Big 3.

I have or have had a number of different makes - Colt, S & W, Bersa, Heritage, Uberti, Pietta, ASM and Ruger - of course in different calibers & configurations - i.e. revolvers, semi autos, rifles, etc.

I have owned six different Rugers - still own 5 of 'em. All have been excellent guns and I've never had a problem with any of them . . so I can't say I've had personal experience with their CS but I do know folks who have used it and have been very pleased.

ANY brand can have a "lemon" once in a while so I don't think a person can really judge a company by that unless it is an obvious "QC" problem with a large majority of their production. I'll use Remington's "R51" as an example - 'buff said! :roll eyes:

Today, it seems like so many of the "old time" U.S. Manufacturers have really slipped - Colt, Remington, etc. And let's face it . . the "new ones" sure aren't the quality of the "old ones".

Ruger offers a good, dependable and well built product. And, they back it up with good CS . . . what more could a person want? Yea, I still like my vintage Smith's and such . . . but whenever I grab one of my Rugers . . I know it's going to work.

Everybody has their own opinions . . but it's kind of refreshing that there is still an "American" company that produces a good product. . . . something that we sadly miss on a lot of different items. :)

Things are tough all over. Those old time wage slaves just aren't willing to work for a dollar a day any more, going blind fitting tiny parts into other tiny parts like in the "good old days". FWIW, I think the gun industry has done well staying alive, what with laws, crazy anti-gun politicians, the loony tunes press, and those who claim to be "pro-gun" but denigrate and condemn every gun and every gun company because the product does not meet their wacko ideas of the way things ought to be. (Maybe nothing newer than matchlocks, folks?)

Jim

It's odd. I have no love for Ruger guns. They just don't turn me on. I never swoon looking at one, like I do with a Winchester Model 70, or a Beretta 92, or even a nice clean AR. But I keep buying Rugers for one reason: they fit a need and work well.

My first handgun was a Security Six. Got it for $150 years ago. Gradually got to appreciate what a rugged and practical gun it is. But when I go to unlock and visit my guns, the 92 gets my attention.

First pocket gun was an LCP. That thing was perfect. Tiny, light, fired EVERY time. Sold it and bought a S&W BG380. Nothing but trouble. But each time I get the gun back from S&W repair, I really enjoy opening the box and looking at it and hefting it. Yes, I know. Nuts.

First auto rifle was a 10/22 takedown. It's just a great little gun. Found it with a wood stock and blue barrel, which makes it even sweeter, IMO. But I still have no emotional attachment to it like I do for my Enfield, which I traded a fishing pole for.

I'm not someone who owns a lot of guns, so these Rugers are a decent percentage of my tiny arsenal. But I never get excited about them. They are like my favorite screwdriver: each time I use it I appreciate how well made and practical it is, but I don't take time out of my day to go visit it for fun.

I really appreciate that Ruger is out there challenging some of the more "prestigious" brands. They always seem to be a consistent company, high quality, and no nonsense. If only they were a little more beautiful.

David

Unpretentious work horses. Not always my first choice, but never a bad choice. I have 5, and carry one at work daily.

I've had nothing but great luck with my Ruger firearms. I still own 4 out of 5 of them and they all run flawlessly. Sold an LC9 a while back just to raise funds for an LC9s pro upgrade.

Security Six--Blue; 4", .357
GP100--SS; 4", .357
SBH SS 7 1/2", .44 Mag
R'Hawk SS 7 1/2" .44 Mag
P89 SS 9MM
M77-17 .17 HMR
R 10-22 Blue/Wood
Mini-14 Ranch SS/Laminate
M77 .25-06 Tang Safety
" 7X57 Tang Safety
" 7 Rem Mag T S
" .308 Varminter T S
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
21% of what I have. Are they pretty? Only in the eye of the beholder....As is often said. But they ARE the [BRAWNYs] and the [TIMEXes] of the gun world, and, with exception to the rimfires, I have loads set aside for them which I will not fire in any other guns. Not a single failure of any kind with any one of them. Biggest mistake ever..[aside from marrying my now-ex], was selling a 6 1/2" New Model .357 BH in '76. Wasn't too long after that....She got the boot. No use cryin' about the past...But D@MN, I still miss that BH.

Like 'em or not...Rugers have their place in any collection; They're a breed apart.

WILL.

Last edited:
I agree that the company produces some fine oroducts and a few not so fine, just as you will find at Colt and S&W, and CS is on a par with S&W however Colt is very lacking in this area. So which firearm do you buy? I tend to look at all the features including functioning, reliability, asthetics and accuracy. This is where i often loose my desire for a Ruger firearm: the billboard stupid warnings tattooed on the exterior. An individual who uses a firearm should have the intelligence to know when it fires death or destruction could result and providing them with reams of manuals with bright red warnings which are simply cast aside unless the pictures are needed for disassembly/reassembly is a CYA measure and nothing else.

The average firearms purchaser leaves the manual in the box as he/she trots off to the range. Printing all that crap on the firearm defines how easily we adapt to a "politically correct" society that is increasingly eroding your personal rights. Look at the South now loosing their historic battle flag, use of the "offensive" word "Dixie" and other idiotic condemnations of their historical past.

I once played cowboys and indians with my buddies, there was no hate built into our childhood no matter whether you happened to be a "Cowboy or Indian" on that particular day.

I apologize for the rant, i guess sometimes one must share feelings with others who have like thoughts.....

My latest Ruger ---a Scout rifle is a real winner but i wish they would put out a magazine of five round capacity to replace the "built like a tank" 10 rounder provided (.223 cal not .308).

I own and have owned many Rugers.
I was buying Rugers back when they were considered a poor mans gun and looked down upon.
I have abused them, miss-used them and never have they failed me.
I have worn parts out or simply broke parts and Ruger has replaced every single part for free.
Their CS is the best in the gun industry I have ever dealt with.
I’ve owned S&W, Colts and a few custom guns and I usually grab one of my Rugers over those higher priced guns.
They simply work.
I agree Ruger has rushed some product to market but what better way to field test a new gun. Let John-Q public put it through the wringer.
Yes I am a Ruger fan!

Back