IWB dilemma?

When it comes to holsters I don’t like complicated or bulky so for IWB (G23) it’s a Blackhawk leather, OWB a safari land kydex clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alien Gear's Convertible is by far the best IWB holster I've run across, the options
are astounding as far as how to place it comfortably!!

My other regular method is Cargo Shorts with a sewn-in support which attaches
to a regular pocket holster. I can hide almost anything in there, only limit is the
size of the pocket itself. Since I wear cargo shorts 11 months of the year, it
seems the easiest thing to do...that's Florida for ya ;)

Thunderwear/SmartCarry are great for deep concealment...NOBODY is going to know
that you are carrying unless they're intimately familiar with yer junk ;)
Perfect for a S&W CS45 & spare mag...or whatever you use.

Good post 5Whiskey, you're one who does it for a living and ought to know. Kudos and thanx for your service. Rod

Thanks Rod. I'm not any better than most anyone else here, but there are a few things I know. One of them is that a little bit of printing is noticed by exactly no one 95% of the time.

CCr's & LEO's may notice if you print a little.
If you print a lot someone may comment that "Your slip is showing".
Which means it's time to do some readjusting...

The occasional crazy liberal who knows what to look for might spot it too.
Those are the ones ya gotta watch out for by making sure you print as little
as possible. No muss, no fuss, right?

I’ve made several people who were carrying. Typically, it wasn’t the printing that first drew my attention to them (the exception being the guy carrying a 1911 at 6 o’clock IWB who had his shirt stuck behind the gun so you could plainly see it).

The remaining times (excepting guys I personally know to regularly carry guns), it was someone’s behavior or clothing that caused me to scrutinize them until I saw the gun printing. You are wearing 20 pocket cargo pants with five knives clipped to five pockets and a Hawaiian shirt to a business convention where everyone else is in a suit and tie? You are wearing a 5.11 vest? You are wearing khaki utility trousers and a gun company ball cap?

I understand the desire to signal your membership in the tribe; but those are the types of things that stand out and invite extra scrutiny. For the most part though, your average citizen wouldn’t notice a firearm if it was taped to your head. They don’t expect to see a firearm so they don’t see one.

The guy with the open 1911? We were in a crowd of people headed to the gate at the Dallas Arboretum. If anybody else noticed, they were either very discrete or completely unconcerned (I gave him a “Hey, you’re showing!”
and he covered up).

Just ordered my 5th IWB Hybrid from Thies Holsters. I am that happy with their products. From a Kahr CM 9, to a Charter Bulldog with a couple more in between I don't think there is a better made, more reasonably priced holster on the market. All are very comfortable to wear. I did some looking at Alien Gear, but I didn't like the "recomended" plastic clips, the little plastic spacers for retention adjustment, and the kydex seems thinner, and more susceptible to collapsing with a tight belt. I also don't think I would like the model with a metal reinforcing plate in it. The newest, and presumably greatest model just has way to many things going on. Knobs, tabs clips all over it.

The remaining times (excepting guys I personally know to regularly carry guns), it was someone’s behavior or clothing that caused me to scrutinize them until I saw the gun printing. You are wearing 20 pocket cargo pants with five knives clipped to five pockets and a Hawaiian shirt to a business convention where everyone else is in a suit and tie? You are wearing a 5.11 vest? You are wearing khaki utility trousers and a gun company ball cap?

Well said. Its the reason why I wear carpenter jeans, no hat, a little scruff but no beard (beard equals plain clothes cop or armed veteran, I've had folks tell me that several times and its true to a degree), and either a polo shirt or button up fishing shirt. Its all in how you project yourself. Carpenter jeans still have a usable side pocket too.

So much good info shared here so far one good get a good education just reading the thread. I have to agree on the belt being the foundation of a good carry rig. I have used several of the brands mentioned through out this thread plus Don Hume. I am currently wearing a Don Hume attached to a Galco NSA IWB holster with a Glock 23. This has been a regular set up for me since the 1990s. Same belt gun and holster so I guess I like it. For a comfortable paddle take a look at some of Galco's FED paddle holsters.

Hi all,
I'll chime in...
I have the M&P Shield 9mm original (not 2.0)
It was my first carry and still my primary carry gun.
A Friend / Co-Worker turned me on to the Shield and his years of "Carry" Setup.
He wore it everyday at work or pleasure!
We do not work at a desk (Field Service Engineer) and we are up/down/bending/stooping etc. and it works.

He & I use the Aegis Armory Hybrid "Shield" holster.
Link Here: http://aegisarmory.us/
He said it as well as Aegis Armory says it..Comfortable from day one and I also found that to be the case.
I often get home at the end of the day, sitting down to watch TV and I forget that I have it on.
A year later and I still enjoy this holster.
I wear it IWB at about 3:30 to 4 O'clock position

My friend also turned me on to his gun belt of choice..
KORE Essentials..
Their website states: "The best-fitting, most comfortable, concealed carry gun belt you'll ever own." And it's true!
Link: https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

I love this belt!
I would own it even if I forever stopped carrying.
It is referred to as a "Trakline" belt and I really love the locking notches, I can pull it up a notch or after a big meal easily let it out a couple LOL!

How it works...
https://www.koreessentials.com/pages/how-it-works

So there ya have it..My 2 Cents!
Good luck with whatever you choose...there are a lot of choices.
My friend's personal usage helped me with mine!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited:
I feel your pain with the holster problem. I own more holsters than I do pairs of shoes. I picked up a Sticky Holster for my 642, and have been pleasantly surprised. Sticky Holsters use friction to stick in place, so there are no clips. You can move the holster to different positions easily, or slip it in a pocket. I bought it for the rare times when I'm not wearing a belt (ex. jogging) and the holster stayed in place with just the pressure from the drawstring on my sweats. I cannot 100% recommend it until I carry it longer and can attest to its durability, but it may be worth checking out.

Right now, I'm pocket carrying my 442 with the nylon holster. It's not the best set-up, but I'm carrying. I don't really care for using my "keys" pocket for the gun. My preference would be to carry my Shield but it's not a great pocket carry. I can do it, but the 442 is better in the pocket.

I will probably order an IWB holster this weekend as I need to try something with the Shield and give it a go.

P.S. I don't have my keys in the same pocket with the holstered 442. I've moved the keys to the left side pocket.

I picked up a Sticky Holster for my 642, and have been pleasantly surprised. Sticky Holsters use friction to stick in place, so there are no clips. You can move the holster to different positions easily, or slip it in a pocket

If I have to tuck a shirt in and carry concealed I use a remora (a type of friction hold holster). Its not ideal for my line of work, as reholstering is dangerous and/or requires two hands, but it is as comfortable as IWB can get probably. And you can tuck a shirt over it. And its inexpensive.

I've carried leather before and far far prefer kydex for IWB. I carry 2 to 2:30. I prefer a speed clip canted holster for normal EDC with a thin undershirt and carry a vedder light tuck clone (foxtrot concealment) for church. A proper gun belt is essential.

Maybe try a Remora or one of its competitors. It is useful as either a pocket or an IWB holster, has no clip, and stays in place surprisingly well. They are quite reasonably priced, so it wouldn't be an expensive experiment.
I've one for a G19 and a 1911 and they are awesome. The 1911 has a velcro stap that will allow OC, too.

Own holster

I bought inexpensive holsters for years then when I got my SCCY I sprang for a Kydex holster from Cleveland Kydex. Thin and light and secure a joy to carry! I ended up buying a quality used holster for my GP-100 and sprang for a Mernickle for my little Bearcat. You definitely get what or pay for with holsters. Just my experience. Tim

OP here: I got lucky I guess. I purchased a CYA IWB for the Shield 9mm. Did not want to use a belted OWB and the paddle options weren't what I was looking for. So, I decided to just try the IWB and see. I prefer 4 - 4:30 and it works for me. No need to look for another.

If I'm wearing shorts without a belt, I just pocket carry the 442 in the nylon holster. However, with the 7 round mag in the Shield, it pocket carries almost as well.

The toughest part about IWB holster is -

If you're fat an out of shape, they are uncomfortable and suck.

If you're in shape, you'll never know the gun is there.

Been there for both. It's the reason I can eat salads :-)

Like most of us here , I have four different holsters for each gun , shoulder , inside , outside & paddle . All of them leather. Never tried those plastic ones . The gun I favor is the Colt 3" 1911New Agent in 45acp.

Back