I've never been "blinded" by muzzle flash, have you?

End of day with muzzle loader . . .

Not blinded but rightly impressed with the flash as I "unload" my muzzle loader after sunset.

Life is good
Prof Young

Only with M2 .50 Machine Gun and .357 with a 4" barrel. The M2 you cant do much about. The .357 is simply too much powder for a 4" barrel, Seeing my wife shoot it from the side it makes a nice round fire ball.

A short AR in 5.56 (say 7") makes huge flash but it doesn't seem as bright or last as long if that makes sense?

Try to use a 4" barrel minimum, and Golden Saber cop ammo used to be reduced flash ammo, so pick good ammo, too. HST is okay ammo, but out on the reservation where it gets truly dark, you might have trouble finding your car, after shooting something like a 2 1/8" barrel .357 Magnum. 3" 9mm? Maybe. In the city, the ambient light is so bright, unless you are inside a dark building, it is a total non-issue. I used to have an old Thyristor film camera flash unit for disabling and IDing people. Close your eyes, and hit them with that flash, while kneeling, or stepping to one side. After the flash, kick on your weapon's light. If it's a neighbor kid, get the gun put away fast. If I use the gun I grew up shooting, and used for ages, I don't really need any sights. I drifted away from the Browning Hi Power, and went to Sig Sauer P226 & P228s, and my natural instinctive aim suffered. I finally went back to the old Hi Powers. I honestly do not need sights with those Hi Powers. I simply point it at what I want to hit, and they hit precisely where I want them too. 30 years and ???????? rounds of 9mm.... Make a noise! I'll hit ya! A lot of that is from fixing live high voltage stuff and dropping parts. You NEVER EVER take your eyes off what you are doing, unless you have a deathwish. You get really good at hearing what that part was made of and where it bounced off too. After 30 years of that, people are super easy to locate. Define dark, and define your target. Are you in downtown Detroilet, or are you 300 miles from the nearest city? Is your target a piece of paper nailed to a target stand, or a mobile person, a skunk or a bear?

I used a 7.62x25 Tokarev to put a deer out of its misery ( hit by car ). The muzzle flash was a green / white and left me with spots in front of my eyes. I am glad that it wasn’t a combat situation, because I don’t know how well I would have been able to see another target.

Back