Issn Ryu Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlackFeather said:
Nocturnus31, a roundhouse kick is not a spinning kick, and it has it's benefits. Maybe your opinion of martial arts is different than ours, but I have put my skills against others before, and come out on top. No, kicks weren't used, no fancy techniques, and certainly no flowery movements. However, I remained balanced, in rhythm with my opponent, and came out on top. I have used disarms, kicks, and even techniques that to you seem pretty(useless) and it's worked.

Fair enough man. In my personal life experiences the taekwondo I learned served no use to me in the few fights I have been in. I have had friends that have gotten their butt handed to them and they had been training in Karate for years. Since I learned combat fighting skills (SCARS, if you are familiar with it) from a former navy seal, those techniques served me well the one time I had to use them. Go to www.scars.com for more info if you want to see what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to start some peeing contest over whether martial arts work or not. I'm just voicing my opinion. If you feel safer knowing ju-jitsu, karate, taekwondo, etc...great. Just do what you feel is best for you. Besides, I carry guns to not have to get hand to hand with any BG... hopefully.

Last edited:
Well psh, of course, Tae Kwan Do is nothing. ;) :p

I do understand your point, and honestly it's not about feeling safer, it's about learning. I have learned a lot about striking and taking hits, you start to understand how it really affects you, and you learn what you can take, and what should be most avoided, then you learn how to avoid it and counter. I'm sure you understand this. It's not about the art, it's the application.

Fairbairn states in the beginning of his book that he takes methods learned from Jiu-Jiutsu and Chinese Boxing. Krav Magas founder was taught during the same era, in Britain, by someone from the same arts that Fairbairn taught. Just thought I'd mention it.

There are three old MMA shows that are rerun on TV from time to time. In one, a variety of martial 'artists' from different styles attack an MMA fighter. One at a time he just waits for them to do their movie style chop-stick shenanigans then he hits them and they go down for the count.
In another, the great BJJ fighter, Royce Gracie takes on a similar bunch of martial 'artists'. One at a time, of course. He simply grabs a body part and twists it until it practicaly comes off and they submit.
That said, the great MMA fighter, Matt Hughes, had no trouble at all defeating Royce Gracie. Hughes is a master at a "mix" of fighting styles and used whatever was necessary to defeat Gracie. I think it was Gracie's only loss in something like 450 fights.
For myself, at age 72, I first avoid situations where I might have to physically fight. But, I have taken Karate Do, a self-defense course, and some high school wrestling. I have a sense of balance and throws. I once used a move in defense (about 15 years ago) to stop a guy much bigger than me who was trying to stab a pencil into my eye. I don't know where it came from, some long sleeping memory cell at the back of my brain. But, I thwarted the attack and nearly broke the guys arm off. I didn't know I had it in me or could do that. Instinct and 40 year old training came into play.
Now, even though I don't need it yet, I sometimes will carry what I call my 'New Orleans walking stick'. It is a cane with a 1" hickory shaft and a heavy brass horse hame knob on the end. It would crush a skull. Given one second hesitation I would smash whatever bone is near the skin (shin, skull, etc.) and keep pounding until I could escape safely.
We do what we can with what we have.

Matt Hughes beat Royce Gracie for a couple of reasons. One, he is younger, stronger and had been in constant training at the highest level for longer than Royce, who essentially did the UFC a favor and came out of retirement for the fight.

More importantly, Matt Hughes is a multifaceted fighter. He had more and better techniques to use to overcome Royce Gracie's "old school" BJJ. When Royce Gracie was a young man and he came to America to prove what Gracie Jiu Jitsu was, he revolutionized the sport of MMA by beating everyone who was, at the time, a one dimensional fighter from one brand of fighting or another. As often happens to revolutionaries, Gracie clung to the original ideas and did not embrace the changes that he begat. MMA assimilated BJJ and refined it. The Gracies, by and large, have maintained a rigorous and less than fully innovative approach to their brand. What they teach still works, but it is incomplete in the modern world of MMA and H2H combat.

Which brings this whole discussion completely full circle doesn't it? We don't get to know in advance which technique that we will need to meet the challenge of the day. Those eschewing hand to hand combat training, or denying the value of ground fighting, or claiming that "I've got a gun, that's all I'll need" or "my kung fu beats your kung fu" have completely ignored the reality that is found in the Gracie/Highes crucible. If you cannot do many things well, that rat bastard Murphy will pick exactly the skill set you ignored and expose your weakness.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm off to clean my guns from yesterday's range session before I roll BJJ for a couple of hours tonight.

And I am going to stay away from risky places. I had rather watch a good nature movie than fight. Also, I have never taken any martial arts, but have never needed it.
Never needed a gun either, but do carry most of the time.
Jerry

This one was barely on topic to begin with, and seems to be done.

Thanks for not turning it into "my sensei can beat up your sensei."

pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back