Issn Ryu Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddarryl

Hi all. I am just a regular Joe. 43, 5'8" and 165. Good enough shape to run a few miles without too much trouble. I recently got my CCW license and am taking a more serious look at the whole idea of carrying and the responsibility that comes with it. This has me also thinking in the line of personal defense without a firearm or so as to not have to use one.

I have an opportunity to start taking Karate for a very reasonable rate at an established Dojo. Since I am on a budget and can no way afford personal defense seminars does this seem like a reasonable start for me? Issn Ryu is described as Karate that is practical for a street fight. Both my kids are Orange belts and can already kick my butt! :D I guess what I am saying is value wise is this the right way for me to go to gain practical skills and confidence? The likely hood of an actual encounter for me is low, but you never know.

I've found that almost all martial arts have a sort of attitude that their founders were the ones with the inside track to secret knowledge of effective fighting technique.

Whether it's Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, or whatever...

But I do think that most of the martial arts are beneficial in a lot of ways. I think if you have the opportunity you should study...

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but be very careful about where you train. Lot's of Mcdojo's out there. With that said, I'll move on to street effectiveness. I think most martial arts can give you an edge in an altercation, they often help you with the proper mindset and with real sparring they can seriously improve your chances of survival.

I've been into all sorts of martial arts or combatives since I was maybe 9-10. Judo, boxing, muay thai, Jiu jitsu etc... One thing I can say about them all is there is no replacement for real sparring and the physical resistance of an opponent that is also trained. Train where the sparring is realistic and well instituted.

Make sure you train somewhere that has some competence in grappling, because it's paramount to self defense. Learn to feel shifts in body weight, how to move your hips and how to get a really good grip on someone. If someone gets ahold of you, it's not easy to kick or punch if you don't know how to move another person who doesn't want to be moved. You'll panic if someone gets ahold of you and you'll tire in seconds. It's all over after that.

If you have a solid background in wrestling or some sort of grappling already, then you probably already know everything I've said, so disregard if that's the case.

darryl, 7/31/11

We all need some sort of option between harsh words and shooting in self defense. Irish above gives some excellent advice. You need to feel comfortable defending yourself on your feet, in a clinch and on the ground. There is no substitute for working against other people to figure out what works for you against others. Good luck with your training.

best wishes- oldandslow

lol!

counterzero... there is no "best" martial arts style. some will say boxing, some will say jiu jitsu, some will say judo, or muy thai, or insert whatever you have heard of... in reality it is good to learn a number of different forms of self defense. Irish seems to have put it best. What seems to work for most mma fighters is a solid background in wrestling, jiu jitsu, boxing, and muy thai and for some even some judo for good measure. However, you can beat up on a heavy bag all day long and never learn the first thing about defending yourself. you have to spar. Granted, you probably dont wanna spar on your first day or even for your first month or two of classes, but at some point if you are serious about learning how to defend yourself you have to spar. there is no substitute. i could hold mitts for you every single day and tell you over and over again to pick up your left. chances are you will keep your left up for the next punch or two and then it will drop again. the first time someone clocks you with a right hook while sparring you will remember to keep your left up. Its just like shooting. You can play call of duty all day long on your xbox or you can sit in your room and dry fire your guns all day long while aiming at imaginary zombies but until you actually go to the range and fire some rounds your shooting will not improve.

Like others be carfeul where you train. Some so called instructors are not and just put the gear on in order to make a fast buck. Assuming this instructor is fully qualified and legit what could be the downside? You get trained in an option to the gun. An option that you will have with you when you can not carry. Sounds good to me. The only downside I see is a little less money in your pocket. Also if you are like most people today you may not be getting enough exercise. Karate or any martial art is great exercise that can always come in handy in emergencies.

I know the guys at the Dojo. My kids have been there for almost 2 years and they are certainly not in it for the money. I know they spar, but haven't seen how the adult classes spar. Sounds like a go. Agree with the grappling. Most street fights I have ever seen end up on the ground at some point. I remember clearly the stress of middle school wrestling class!

I've never taken a "Martial Arts" class, TBH the last time I was in a fight was a knife fight in Italy in the mid 90s. That being said, my niece is an instructor of Krav Maga, if I ever get into a bar fight with a bunch of bikers, I want her covering my back. :eek:

Edit: I do know how to do Rapier and Main Gauche (left handed knife) and Fencing, but I don't think I'm going to be walking down the street with a sword and dagger. :D

Last edited:
That web site is not about "money" or who has the "best" system. It's about mind-set, distinguishing "fighting" from "combat/self defense", SA, de-escalation, etc.

Every "street fight" I've ever seen (not many) never lasted that long. There was almost always a weapon of some sort, and somebody always got hurt really f'in quick (within seconds). The VERY few I was in were very short, and convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that "street fighting" really sucks. A lot. Seriously. I don't ever want to get in another if I can possibly help it.

Anyways, with an open mind, read what that guy has to say. It'll really help you to stay safe, without having to be "bad ass".

My other motivation is I have a 9 year old daughter who is certainly on her way to being a knock out! I can just hear the comments coming and as we all know, there is only so much a father can take!

Sounds like you are already familiar with the dojo, so you should be able to make an informed decision.

My general rules for evaluating a dojo, generically speaking, would be:

1) Do they allow potential students (or parents) to observe their classes?
2) Do they allow month-to-month membership (good) or do they require long-term contracts (bad, especially when kids are involved)?
3) Does their emphasis match yours? (IE, are they more oriented towards kata, competition, or self-defense?)
4) Do they make outrageous claims about what you'll be able to do, if you take their classes?
5) Do they guarantee a student will achieve some belt in a certain time? (Very bad sign - these are generally referred to as Black Belt Mills, or McDojos)
6) Does their class schedule afford students sufficient opportunities to train? (Realistically, we are talking muscle memory and conditioning; several hours a week are needed, if one wants to obtain any level of proficiency with any sort of speed; I'd recommend three classes per week, in 1.5 hour blocks, for new students as a minimum.)
7) Do they have separate classes for adults? (Kids may be very good, but they generally don't have the maturity to handle chokes, locks, and other potentially damaging techniques until they are into their teens; even then, acceptance into adult classes should be decided individually, based on maturity)

baddarryl,

If you can fine some Krav Maga nearby I'd think about that but if all there is to be found is Issn Ryu then go for it.

I've had 30 years of Taekwondo and I'm also a Krav Maga practitioner. But getting out to the dojo is far better than just reading about it!

You will learn alot from the classes.

But first go by and watch a class. If they don't sweat and have a serious class then I'd go find another. Or if its orientated towards just kids and no seriousness about self defense, then I'd pass to.

Oh, and make sure the class has lots of self-defense and not a bunch of forms or patterns and fancy weapons training (like staffs or swords or sticks.)

Deaf

While it is great to have hand to hand training, there are factors that simply make its use high risk. Age differences between you and the attacker. Size difference. Perhaps training difference (bad guy being better trained). Then you have the luck factor. I mean simply said if I get a single lucky punch it is over for most. Many a man posses this kind of power.

These days I simply rely on great situational awareness and my firearm. To many variables that are out of my control with hand to hand.

It won't hurt you to learn how to fight but you may get hurt in a fight. I choose to avoid the fight and defend myself with something that can overcome all differences.

Problem with that, threegun, is that a person who relies solely on a firearm has no options between verbal response and deadly force. It never hurts to add options.

Also, having that gun is only good if you can get it into play. It's not too hard to jam the average CCW up, if one starts out at close range. By the same token, with a not-too-intensive amount of training, it's not hard to evade the average grab, or keep the average person from stopping one's draw.

So, I look at physical skills as both a tool to cover those threat situations that do not justify deadly force, but do justify some amount of force; and also a tool to help ensure I can actually bring a firearm to bear, should the situation warrant.

If you choose to go hand to hand and loose you are at the bad guys mercy. Thats simply not a place I ever want to be. I will and have retreated, swallowing a ton of pride. I have had to pull in preparation to use deadly force. I would have run before shooting if it was necessary. I simply don't want to fight anymore for the reasons I posted. Just to many varibles and a loss puts you at the bad guys mercy.

Now my back up would be a less than lethal if I chose a back up. Fighting days are gone.

I think the point being made about not being able to get to a firearm is a good one. In NC you cannot carry concealed to paid events, events of assembly (which is very broad), educational grounds, state owned property, or govt facilities of any kinds, or anywhere that has a come rob me no concealed weapons allowed sign. Considering most altercations may come where there is a crowd being able to defend without a firearm is paramount. Or suppose you raise your weapon and the BG grabs the cylinder or slide and renders it useless? Game on then.

Going to talk to the instructors tomorrow about the points you guys have raised. If they are up to snuff I am going for it. Thanks everyone.

There is a guy trying to put together a 6 week Krav Maga in town to meet once a week, but that is all at the moment that I can see. Think I will give the consistency of the Isshin Ryu dojo a go instead.

I took Tang Soo Do for 3 years; I made it to one level away from Black Belt before some hard truths {and my financial situation} led me to quit. The "hard truths" were as follows: I had noticed that, during belt testing, lots of people who performed very badly were still awarded their next belt...so long as they'd paid the $50.00 "test fee". I also noticed that the Big Boss {my instructor's instructor} would arrive to help grade the students on test day...driving a tricked-out full size pickup truck with a chrome-laden Harley in tow. This opened my eyes as to why it cost over $150.00 per month, per person, to attend the school! Finally, it dawned on me that no ground fighting was being taught, all techniques were taught standing up, which I view as totally unrealistic. So, out I went. Nowadays, I still lift weights and run regularly. I also carry pepper spray. I also have my own Black Belt....it's what I hang my .357 on.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back