is this new class of carry pistols even necessary?

Here is my Glock 19 compared to my Walther PPS. For me IWB the Walther PPS is definitely more comfortable for carry regardless of how minute some might consider differences in width on paper.

j4ODQXs.jpg

S4urzZY.jpg

If you have to sit a lot while wearing a pistol, not much beats a P365 or hellcat. Unless maybe you wear your pants up real high around your waist like the geezers did back in the fifties.

Last edited:
I can only speak between Glock 26 and 43 AND I would NOT consider them "micro", I'd take 26 any time of the day for the 4 extra rounds. 10 rounds vs 6 rounds, it's almost one extra magazine worth. 0.1" is NOT a big difference. Maybe 43 is a little bit more comfortable, but think if you have to carry an extra magazine, then it's not as comforting anymore.

Honestly, if it is EDC, I would go to 380 and have a smaller pistol with 7 or 8 rounds. That I have my Walther PPK. You want a 9mm, it's not going to be that "micro". For me, I would even consider the Ruger LCR, can't beat the light weight and reliability, just put it in the jacket pocket, forget the holster and all, that would be the most comfortable. A true micro 9mm semi auto might have issue with reliability. That's the facts of life, you just cannot have super small and light and reliable with a powerful round like 9mm. Just go on youtube and search for any of the really small 9mm pistols, you'll find all the reliability problems.

Last edited:
Am of opinion the more options, the better. Just bought a P365, with the intent to replace several current alternatives (without using grip extenders). For me, as easy, if not easier to conceal than a j-frame. Also easier to shoot accurately and prefer the 9mm over 38 special. Plus to replace current most used pocket pistol (45 xds).

Small variations in size/thickness can mean larger than scale differences in wanted carry characteristics. The 365 is small enough to pocket carry (carharts) and rotate to 4 oclock for belt carry.

I'm fine with micro pistols as long as they're chambered in .380 ACP or less. Micro 9mm Luger pistols don't interest me at all because between the recoil and the way that micro pistols fit my hands, I already find the Ruger LCP difficult to shoot, ergo a slightly larger pistol such as the SIG P365 doesn't appeal to me.

This comment doesn’t make much sense.

I own a Ruger LCP and a SIG P365. The 9mm P365 has much less felt recoil and is markedly easier to shoot well than the .380 LCP.

This of course is a factor if its size. While very small, the P365 is considerably larger than the LCP and has better ergonomics.

Well, I choose the middle ground. I bought the Sig 320 X compact in 9mm. Not as big as the full size, and not as small as 365, but but still big enough to pack 15 plus 1.

Post #13:
And yet, I bet the LCP is the most carried gun that actually is carried by people who carry for their employment.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. The LCP is, IMhO, a true pocket pistol. I also think it's telling that Ruger is STILL making the LCP even after coming up with the LCP II. A couple years ago you could pretty easily get an LCP for $200. Now it's more like $250. Seems like the LCP is maybe a cash cow for Ruger. And I'm fine with that.

*in post 13, I meant to say the LCP is the most carried gun by people NOT carrying for employment.

Owning a P365 and an LCP, I'm about done with subcompacts. Has big as the difference between the LCP and P365, the next "subcompact" is huge. No point to them (for me). And just got my 15rnd mag for my P365 the other week. Wowzer the P365 is awesome.

QIxbBTHm.jpg

My 2 EDC’s are a Ruger LC9s and a P365. I actually sold my G19 gen 5 to buy the 365 as the G19 was too big and uncomfortable as an EDC. Especially living in FL where 90% of the time I’m in a T and shorts.

More options for more people. That’s all good in my book.
Now people on forums like this know that you really don’t need ten rounds in a carry pistol. 99% of self defense shootings are 2-3 rounds. And we are often experienced enough shooters on forums like this that a red dot does not give a lot of value in terms of 7 yard accuracy, etc.
But new CCW folks think they need a red dot and 10 rounds. Some will eventually realize they don’t, others will just stick with what they first learned. That’s fine. No problem.
There’s certainly no harm in carrying more rounds or a red dot if you want to.
Manufacturers have figured out there’s a strong market for these guns. And so be it. If you don’t want one, then don’t buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone here that is NOT a police and actually gone through a real life self defense using a gun? I would love to hear from people actually went through it, survived and tell us how they feel, how they shoot, how many rounds they used to stop the attacker.

People here seems to talk with so much confidence that they think they can hit the target so they can stop the attacker with one shot or two. I have no experience, I want to hear from people that actually went through the life and death situation.

Not that I am bragging, I am not a good shooter, I've seen much better, but in 6 to 7 yds, in ordinary times, I can shoot the head every shot. But I sure buy the Glock 26 with 10 shots. If it is legal, I would use a 17 rounds mag. Call me a chicken and lack of confidence or whatever, I just want to come out alive.

Last edited:
To me the Glock 43 and then later the SIG P365 were major advances in carry guns. 9mms that are comfortable to shoot and accurate yet will easily carry in almost all my front pockets.

If you don’t pocket carry, I suppose they don’t look like a significant gain. But I do, and I bought them both as soon as I could.

I am 60 years old and I have been carrying a gun every day most of my life. I have tried about everything from full size guns to NAA mini revolvers. Today I carry Sig 365. I will never go back to everyday concealed carry of a bigger gun.

is this new class of carry pistols even necessary?
i come, to ask a question, no disrespect intended here.
what is with this new class of micro pistols

I don't know if you have a problem with there being a class of pistols or if you don't like the actual size of the pistols. However, you probably need to understand that while the class designation may be new, what 2 or 3 decades old now (not really new at all), that small and tiny pistols have been around for literally hundreds of years. They are not a new thing at all. People have thought there was a need for them for a very long time.

i'm not saying im being forced to buy it. just trying to see if theres something i am missing.

You are missing the fact that somehow you have confused feeling like what you think is necessary should be the standard for everyone else. It is a self centered perspective that is common in the gun world when people feel like they have made the right decisions and that people who make different decision are somehow wrong. You don't see it as necessary and apparently don't feel like anybody else could see it that way.

I could play the same game in an equally preposterous manner. I am a 1911 person. I don't see why these new Glocks are necessary. Yeah, they have been around for over 40 years, but compared to 1911s, they are new.

Then when high sales is offered to show that there is obviously a need for them, you reply...
i don't know if that is a good rule of thumb lol some people conceal carry derringers, and they sell well too

Again, as a 1911 guy, I can't see why sales would justify that Glocks are necessary either. I am just guessing that there have been sales in the millions, but is a Glock really necessary?????

See how the perspective is a definite, self centered bias?

I actually have nothing against OTHER people shooting Glocks. I understand that Glocks meet the needs for other people and the sales absolutely reflect this. I understand that a 1911 meets my needs and that I don't really need to worry about somebody else's justification for why they deem necessary their micro or Glock. That other guns or other sizes of guns can meet the needs of other people is perfectly fine... because MY needs are being met by what is out there.

If you understood this concept of 'necessaray' being individualistic, you would not have made the following statement...

more options are better but i cant help but feel this one is grasping at straws for new ideas

First of all, it is obvious that you don't feel like more options are better, otherwise you would not be questioning the "necessity" of this class of gun.

Secondly, you showed your self centered perspective again when you mentioned that you FEEL like they are grasping for straws. We all have self centered perspectives on what we feel is necessary for us, and this is a point you are failing to comprehend.

Back