Is this acceptable?

A little bit of anticipatory flinch and index finger clenching (curling) at the wrong moment, instead of a straight rearward press during the trigger press, can result in unintentional and unrecognized muzzle deflection.

Some folks think that means they have to restrict their index finger/trigger contact to the "tip" of their finger, which can be awkward and lack control throughout the trigger press, when shooting revolvers, especially in DA/DAO.

Yes, RH shooters typically see low/left hits and LH shooters typically see low/right hits.

This can sometimes be complicated when long fingers are involved, or someone grips the gun a little too low or too high, or doesn't have their thumb out of the way of their index finger (or has the rear of the cylinder or cylinder release/thumb latch repeatedly banging into the tip of their thumb, causing some flinch).

The increased felt recoil can be uncomfortable for many folks, and induce some unwanted clenching of the trigger finger as the rest of the fingers clench into a fist to fight recoil (as a shooter unconsciously prepares to fight recoil just before the gun actually fires).

The diminutive grip frame, light weight, short trigger reach and heavy DA trigger (mechanical leverage) can cause even shooters experienced with larger revolvers to develop some trigger press/flinch issues when shooting the snubs.

As more of our older revolver shooters (started careers carrying revolvers) have been either picking up some of the newer Airweights, or digging out old steel 5-shot snubs, it's not been unusual for them to need some "refresher" help on the firing lines.

As a number of our younger shooters (who never carried revolvers) are buying them for off-duty/secondary use, it's been a little more involved, as they never had the necessity to develop the original foundation skillset required to run a DA (or DAO) revolver.

I just watched a video that involved two Colt revolvers (however not brand new) with fixed sights and they both were slightly off center of aim. The answer? Kentucky windage or start filing your sights.

I will say though I own an SP101 with fixed sights and the thing is absolutely dead on.

Please let us know what you find. A j frame is capable if you are. I shoot mine well out to at least 25 yards. I agree the pictures of the targets posted are shot without stress or someone shooting at them. Then again so are the inaccurate shot of the original post. If its a few inches off now it will certainly be off if someone is shooting at you.

To me, at such close range, this would be unacceptable. The one inch low is OK, but 3" left could mean the difference between hitting a brain or not hitting the brain, hitting the spine or not hitting the spine. Hitting the heart or hitting a lung. I would try different weight and brand ammo if the sights are not at all adjustable. If the issue persists, contact manufacturer and see if they think they could fix or replace the gun. If you don't feel like going through that, you'll have to remember to compensate your aim it will get worse the more the range is increased. Or just sell or trade the gun and try something else

I guess I got in late on this one but...

how DARE someone think that their pistol should shoot POA, POI past 5 yards!!! After all a 2" barrel is not meant to shoot past that distance...

To the OP, I have personally found that if 2 competent shooters shoot the same POI then the sights are definitely off. Competent shooter isn't bubba taking his hi-point out for a familiarization fire, though. It's someone who can take a pistol and shoot 2-3" 10 round groups center target off hand at 10 yards with a decent pistol. If you aren't completely sure, you can always ask a third trusted shooter to verify. I used to do that myself. With the circle I run in now, I have about 6 people that I can get to shoot and I trust their judgement completely. Honestly I trust my own judgement completely, but I understand the desire to verify before you start talking adjustment of fixed sights.

As to not caring whether or not the sights are POA, POI on a snub-nose revolver... lots of cops have to qualify with mouse gun back-ups. Qualifying means having the ability to hit the 8 ring on a B27 target at 25 yards. Certainly not unattainable, but not something you can do point shooting with just the front sight post. You will want your sights true for that nature of shooting.

Lastly, firing a weapon under stress is... well... stressful. That does not mean that you will instinctively not aim and just point and shoot. You will do what you were trained to do. If you train thoroughly, you will point shoot when you need to and you will aim when you need to. Both of them have their place, to suggest you only need to practice one is haphazard.

If the trench sight or front blade is misaligned 3" at 10y, that should be visible to the naked eye, or certainly measurable with calipers. I would take a CAREFUL look at the mechanics of what's going on, because a not insignificant number of S&W J frames have problems with the sights.

If the sights are measurably centered on the frame & barrel, then it's probably you. The J frame is not the easiest gun to shoot.

Back