Is there such a pistol?

liv4spd

Is there such a pistol that is so amazing, after you buy it, you no longer want to add one more gun to your stockpile?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm . . . . if such a thing truly exists, and you find it . . . I'm sure there are many, MANY wives that will want to know . . . of course, it you tell them, you'll lose your "Men's Club" membership, so think long and hard before you divulge the secret!

I have competed in DSB/UIT matches for over four decades, shot IDPA, steel plates, all kind of competitions and always looked for a gun that would give me an advantage. I can very well live with the accuracy in slow fire of the SIG P210-6, or an accurized 1911. In rimfire matches the Hammerli International was amazing and brought me more consistent results than the Gehmann Walther GSP. The S&W 14-2 was a charm and no gun I have bought can shoot better, especially with my declining eye sight.
In speed shooting I have found no way around a good 1911 but could do as well with a revolver. In bowling pin shoots the 625 was the one that ruled.
In the darkness of Haiti, where I lived for many years and stood out and was targeted I trusted a Glock 19 and a Glock 17 in the handgun department and found them to perform sufficiently.
Here, in the hot Texas summers I carry a SIG Sauer P365.

To make it easily digestible, there are guns for many purposes but few enough people that love the shooting sport, for them a High Point will do the job.

My most recent purchases was a S&W Spec Series M&P 9mm 2.0 and its a pretty sweet gun. I probably don't need any more after buying that one...

Of course now that I have started down the modern S&W semi-auto rabbit hole, a 10mm M&P would make sense... And there's that new blued Colt Python... And if Colt comes out with the Anaconda in 45 Colt i'll buy that... And...

My oldest son is a great handgunner. When my kids grew up we went shooting several times every week and put 110,000 rounds through a S&W 22A, that we used as a warm up gun before we went to centerfire.
His younger brother and I were not just shocked when he told us that he had bought a High Point 9mm, we were rather devastated. Nevertheless, my oldest son shoots that thing and gets the falling plates positively at 15 yards. I was present when he shot it first time at ten yards in leisurely rapid fire.

My lifetime of shooting convinced me that 80% of shooters cannot shoot any handgun better than that.

That's why I pay cash money for all my firearms.
If I still have cash. It wouldn't go if that cash has been ear marked to pay the next mortgage bill. I was there once. The pistol I had at the time looked perfect, and it still does today.

There was a m1a in the shop for $800. I had always wanted that rifle. The salesman tried hard to sell. I was mighty tempted. But I just couldn't as I was unemployed. 2008 was the year.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Most all of them. But after a while something else comes along that I want to try. Sometimes I decide the new gun isn't an improvement and I let the new one go. Sometimes I find a better mouse trap and let the old one go.

That's why I pay cash money for all my firearms.

I've owned a butt load of firearms over the years. Probably 90% were bought 2nd hand and probably 99% for cash. If I shop carefully, I can usually get my money back, or at least most of it if it doesn't work out. If I keep it long enough, I can almost always sell it for more than I paid. Patience is important. It's a lot harder to do that when buying new.

In rare cases I'll pull out the CC if I find a deal and don't have the cash in my pocket. I can afford it and don't usually carry a balance on the cards.

A couple of weeks ago I was in an Academy and spied a Shadow Systems 9mm for $550. Those normally sell for $700 to well over $1000. MSPR on this one was $700. I was an hour away from home. It didn't make sense to make a 2 hour round trip to go home and get cash.

The real question is . . .

When I first started shooting I'd ask these generic questions about what is best, or what should I get etc. And the answer always is . . . for what purpose?
You want an SD handgun? Yeah, there probably is one that ends your search and you don't buy anymore. For me it was the Sig 365, with safety. You want a gun that is just fun to shoot? I've been through dozens and that search will never end. You want gun to hunt with? What are you hunting and how much fire power do you need to knock it down?

One gun to rule them all . . . aint going to happen out side of the world of fiction.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Is there such a pistol that is so amazing, after you buy it, you no longer want to add one more gun to your stockpile?
This has never happened to me. I can list many reasons why I **SHOULD** convince myself to never buy another handgun, but in the end... I think God meant for me to live my life fully, take care of my responsibilities and enjoy life, and for me that includes chasing guns.

With that said...

I have absolutely gotten a handgun, taken my first ever shots with it, and my first thought beyond all others was absolutely, "okay, owning just one of these is not enough of these."

The main factor for this beyond the pure joy from the experience of shooting it and the fact that it was fantastic was... they are long, long out of production. So when you know the supply is finite, it's a very short trip to "damn, I need to get another one."

The handgun: my first S&W Model 52. This one was built in 1982. These guns were made from 1961 to 1993. This first one that I got is extremely high condition, and I've since bought two others and I shoot both of those all the time. This first one sits in the safe.

Back