Is the Ruger GP100 the Greatest Double Action Revolver Ever Made?

There ain't no such animal as greatest/best/finest,,,

There ain't no such animal as greatest/best/finest,,,
There are too many variables to define.

If a person doesn't like weight,,,
The Ruger GP-100 is not the greatest revolver.

If a person (me) doesn't like full lug barrels,,,
The S&W 686 is not the greatest revolver.

If a person wants a super hot cartridge,,,
The S&W Model 19 is not the greatest revolver.

Because greatest, best, finest doesn't exist,,,
One man's Korth is another man's RG.

I much more enjoy the threads where someone simply states,,,
My favorite revolver is the ***********,,,
And here's why I say that.

It's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things,,,
It's just a bit slow at work today and I'm opinionating.

Aarond

Last edited:
2lvobiu.jpg

Ruger Security Six..or the other Ruger "S" are the best in my mind...but the GP100 is close 2nd...

I do not know if it is the greatest, but I bought one today; it is a 4" .357 GP100 blue. It has a very smooth trigger, but I get to take it to the range Tuesday to shoot it. It should be a fun trip.

I've got a couple of boxes of 158 grain .38 +P that I would never in my wildest dreams try to shoot out of my S&W 642. This is the perfect fun to try them out of.

Joe

Among the Best

The GP100 is among the best double action revolvers for hard,regular use.
I carried the Speed Six for years and I currently own a 3" GP100-very handy-the Speed Six was excellent also.
I have to say that for just enjoyable shooting and general esthetics I like the classic S&W 27/28 's and the Colt Python.Got all of 'em:D
I also have a nickel plated S&W 19-it's a great shooter but not as durable for handling full house 357 loads on a long term basis.
On my older revolvers I use 158 gr lead rounds.
I save the 125 gr screamers for the Geep.

The difference between a 686 and a 66 is that much?
Yes -for some of us.

Last time I gave my honest impression of the L frame, a whole bunch of people got their undies in a twist.
I honestly don't know why they did though.
I doubt any of them had any part in the design or manufacture of the L frame.

Oh well go figure...

But - again - yes, I find a huge difference between a K frame and an L frame.
Everything about the K is right and just abut every thing about the L is wrong.

While that is certainly an opinion, a strongly held one, it's just that. But I do have to agree that the difference between the two isn't exactly small.

In the case of all the L-frame guns before this new .44 Mag chambered Model 69, the big noticeable difference between K's and L's isn't so much about the frame size as it is about the full lug barrel. (of course, there are a couple K frames from the past with full lug barrels...)

That barrel makes a tremendous difference in what the gun feels like in your hands when shooting it. That the frame itself is slightly bigger or beefier is not likely what is being noticed.

In the case of all the L-frame guns before this new .44 Mag chambered Model 69
Funny you should bring up the M69.
I've been thinking it might be time to give the L frame another chance.

Since there isn't anything to compare a K and L with in that caliber, maybe that will soften my view a bit.

...and as it wears a tube barrel with no bulky, heavy underlug... you may really, really soften your stance on the L-frame.

Unless you actually shoot some .44 Mag out of it, then all is lost! :eek::D

All I'd shoot would be .44mag!

Maybe some "watered down" handloads - such as 240 gr slugs @ ~1100 fps., but, still magnums, not specials.

I already have a 4" M29 so I'm no stranger to recoil.;):)

This has been a fun thread reading all the opinions. I like the GP100. I now have all 3 barrel lengths. I like knowing that no matter how much I shoot them, I probably wont wear them out. They feel good in my hand, have a predictable trigger, and look very nice. I would like a 6" stainless half lug, and a blue 4" half lug, fixed sight model.

100_2673_zpsb150104d.jpg

But - again - yes, I find a huge difference between a K frame and an L frame.

I guess that we may define "huge" differently.

IMO, I'd say there's a huge difference between a K frame and a Redhawk.

From K to L ??
Noticeable, but not huge. ;)

I guess that we may define "huge" differently.
Huge in this case, to me, means I find the L frame 100% unacceptable.
The K frame on the other hand is the perfect fit.

I can tell a huge difference between the two.

One's perfect - the other is just so much scrap metal.

I honestly don't know why this bothers anyone - - other than the person at S&W that designed the L frame?????

I sure notice the difference in handling between the L and the K.
But then, I started out with a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, which handles impeccably.
While the Model 15 feels alive in the hand, the 686 just felt like a brick.

Oh, maybe thats why someone would be bothered.
Why?
If something is useless to you, then what would you call it?

I'd call it just what I did - something I wouldn't waste my money on.

Kind of like tickets to see Bruno Mars....

Anytime you ask if one brand is the greatest, you are in for pointless arguments. Nobody who favors their brand is going to be convinced that the other brand is better because of a post here.
I can say that I prefer Ruger revolvers, but I can't say they are any greater than somebody else's S&W, or even a Taurus. It is all a matter of personal preference. You may value the aspect of finish, I don't. I used to work with a guy who bought gold plated Snap-On tools. He worshiped them. I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world. He couldn't actually use them, or they would get scratched. Was I smarter than him really? No. We both bought exactly what we wanted.

Last edited:
Hal,

Your reasons are so calculated, you must have the hands of a surgeon. Of all the different frame sizes out there these 2 for being different are very similar. At least the L will absorb a steady diet of full house magnums, and isn't this why we buy a 357 in the first place. I have both and like both, my 2 1/2" 66 is kinda cute.;)

Back