Is the BATFE on Vacation?

Jaybird I PMed you the number I have been using I try to call it between 7am and 8am and have always had someone answer it.

ATF "forgot" to send me my FFL renewal during the Clinton administraton, but they conveniently "remembered" to send a demand for my records. When I explained I needed a renewal, I got an application for an FFL! They then told me that the only way I could renew was to apply for a new license. I sent them the books, and said good riddance!
That's likely exactly what they wanted you to do. I've talked to several FFLs who finally gave up their licenses in frustration during the Clinton years as a result of harrassment or other issues with the BATF, and they were the rule, not the exception.

According to one source the number of FFL holders dropped from 287000 in 1993 to 86180 in 1999. In other words, for every 1 FFL holder who stuck it out there were 2 that gave up and turned in their books.

ATF called me back today. Apollogized for the mistake as there was a disconnect in the system. Told me I was approved and would be getting my packet in 7 to 10 days. Too bad, I really wanted to make the RIA auction this weekend. There's a luger and a FN 1922 I was interested in. Oh well,,,,,:(

That's likely exactly what they wanted you to do.

Come on - these people don't change just because the Administration does. They're not appointed by the current President - most of them are just career 9-to-5'ers like the rest of us.

Re-read all the posts about people having troubles with their C&R licenses in the gun-friendly Bush Administration.

UPDATE! never thought this day would come!

I finally recieved my license today! I was begining to wonder if it would ever happen, but it did. Now I'm ready to start burning through some cash!:D

Come on - these people don't change just because the Administration does.
I realize that a change of administration doesn't reach down to the "worker bee" level in terms of personnel changes and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

However the direction of these people can (and often does) change when the administration changes. To say otherwise is to make the clearly ridiculous claim that the Attorney General (the chief law enforcement officer of the Federal government) has no effect on federal law enforcement.

As far as whether or not there was change in direction during the Clinton years, I believe the numbers speak for themselves. The number of FFL holders was reduced by a factor of 3 during that administration. That is definitely not the norm.

Wait..........I think we need to lock down this thread. People's feelings are getting hurt and it's getting way to political. :p :p

...congratulations Ontay! I too, received my license in yesterday's mail. I assume the second attempt was the one they processed. That would make it a 4 week turn around for me. If I count back to my first attempt, it took since labor day 2008!!

I can't seem to get a C&R license request packet from them in the mail. I ordered it off their website about a month ago. Is there another way?? Downloading the forms?? Where?

wpcexpert,

that website ordering form is useless. I gave up and went in person to the local atf office here in houston. try to find a local office from their website. if one is not close by if you will pm me your address I have some I can send you.

If I recall correctly, the BATFE National Licensing Center was recently moved from Atlanta,Ga to a new location. As I submitted the form to change my address on my FFL03 prior to moving a few months ago, and still have not gotten the new license yet.

I am going to fill out and send a new one, as I suspect it vanished in the move (I sent it in right around the time they were moving locations, and sent it to the Atlanta address).

Does anyone know the mailing address for the new location of the Licensing Center? I cant seem to find anything but the old Atlanta one anywhere on the BATFE website.

Thanks.

ETA: I sent them an email for the new address, so if I get it before anyone here responds, I'll post it up for others in case they need it too.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm getting my C&R license, I have decided. They're only like, 30 bucks a year right? If I call my Texas office (I'll have to see which one, Dallas or Houston) and ask them to send me the form, they'll mail it to me, right? Man, I'm so stinking excited to buy old guns over the internet for cheap! Unless it takes me half a year to get it :-(.

FWIW, the BATFE NLC responded to my email monday morning, and said that they had mailed my amended FFL03 on DEC 11th, and since I didnt get it, they will promptly mail another one to me. I'm happy they didnt loose the form, and I dont have to resubmit and wait, and that they are sending one out, but it creeps me out a little wondering what happened to the one they sent out (IE: what stranger may have an unsigned copy of my license.I know that it's unlikely it could be of use to anyone, but still creepy).Of course, thats assuming it ACTUALLY got sent out, as opposed to marked as sent, or supposed to be sent, but never really was (seems a real possibility).

Also, they didnt give me the new mailing address for the Licensing Center (if I'm even right, and there IS a new one.), so I dont have it to include for others like I was hoping. sorry.

Back