Is the AR15 going to fade from ownership?

But wouldn't you agree that if more law-abiding citizens were competent with their firearms, carried routinely & Gun Free Zones minimized it would be more difficult for lawless shootings to occur? Wouldn't the perp more likely be neutralized more rapidly?
Don't know..BUT
were competent with their firearms

Most aren't, at least in my anecdotal experience when going to a variety of ranges or wandering around at gun shows..if what I hear and/or see is any indication. I think if we insist on TRAINING before you get TESTED for a drivers license, I don't think it's a bad idea to do the same for gun ownership. BUT undoubtedly the 'you don't have to 'qualify' for 1st amendment rights..argument..or 'car accident kill..you don't want to ban the car'...NOT arguing banning or not anything..BUT the car's primary purpose is transportation..the gun's is propelling a potentially deadly projectile at very high speeds, with ease...

BUT, I really dislike gun free zones...my grand daughters gradeschool, being a public school, is one, surrounded by houses, big open space/grass fields..Everytime I pick them up, I worry about somebody walking across the fields with a gun, the time it would take to get police there..where a lockdown isn't possible because all the kids are out of their classrooms(K-5), many being picked up..LOTS of people milling around..the very definition of a soft target. There is NOTHING I can legally do..

All right 2nd Amendment says!

I'm guessing by these comments that everyone also believe that convicted felons should not lose their 2nd Amendment Rights or should regain them after they have completed their sentence.

No where has the Constitution or the Bill of Rights made allowance for the gov't. to remove anyone's right to own or possess firearms yet it happens every day because of a court action/law! So is that law also Unconstitutional? Do convicted felons get to keep their rights?
Well if an ex-felon has her/his privilege to vote restored upon completion of ALL court ordered restitution then why should that ex-felon be denied the right to own firearms?

All right 2nd Amendment says!

I'm guessing by these comments that everyone also believe that convicted felons should not lose their 2nd Amendment Rights or should regain them after they have completed their sentence.

No where has the Constitution or the Bill of Rights made allowance for the gov't. to remove anyone's right to own or possess firearms yet it happens every day because of a court action/law! So is that law also Unconstitutional? Do convicted felons get to keep their rights?
The Constitution makes no provision for removing any of the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights for a person with a felony record. Why then, can some lessor authority (State governments, Congress, etc.) pass laws that selectively restrict a released felon's rights? Can they pass a law that restricts his freedom of speech, etc.? It seems that the Supreme Court would strike those laws down.

dahermit said:
The Constitution makes no provision for removing any of the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights for a person with a felony record. Why then, can some lessor authority (State governments, Congress, etc.) pass laws that selectively restrict a released felon's rights? Can they pass a law that restricts his freedom of speech, etc.? It seems that the Supreme Court would strike those laws down.

In a federal system, a state isn't a categorically inferior authority. In some matters, it is a superior authority.

If you think of the US as a federation of sovereign states that have ceded specific aspects of their sovereign power to a limited federal authority, you have an approximation of the constitutional system. Ohio may have given up the right to declare war or make a treaty with Canada, but it retains the power to regulate the lives of its residents to a degree that can be alarming.

Sounds like time for a couple lowers. Price will never be better.

from #62--
Well if an ex-felon has her/his privilege to vote restored upon completion of ALL court ordered restitution then why should that ex-felon be denied the right to own firearms?

An excellent question....first amendment never infringed by any court on a felon...all or none.

I bought a couple lowers earlier this year. If I thought I could afford to complete a few more, I'd get a couple more lowers just in case...

The AR15 is likely in the top 5 of rifles sold these days and I don't think they're going away...

Tony

Is the AR the ultimate Tinker Toy firearm for its appeal
or is its high capacity the real ultimate appeal?

How many of you who like or favor the AR15 would still
be so willing to own multiple variations when limited
to 10-round or even poissibly 5-round magazines?

UncleEd said:
How many of you who like or favor the AR15 would still
be so willing to own multiple variations when limited
to 10-round or even poissibly 5-round magazines?

I like the AR as a platform with great market support.

I am not legally limited to five or ten round magazines, but I don't use 30 round magazines. One of my favorite magazines is the 10 round PMag, and even when I am using 20 round magazines, I typically only load them with five.

None of that means that it would be appropriate to prohibit 30 round magazines.

I don’t care about mag capacity. Recreationally, I’m too lazy to completely load a magazine anyway, lol. When hunting, I preferred a short magazine as well. I like the ergonomics and utility of the ARs and could care less what they look like.

I have lots of 30rd magazines, just because. Also the simple fact they are readily available.

Given another thread says the Pentagon has bought into the 6.8 round,
over time,readily available ,cheap 5.56 ammo and brass will dry up the same way cheap 7.62x39 did.

A lot of commercial hunting cartridges are near a buck a shot. So might 5.56 become. How big of a magazine can you afford to fill if it goes that way?

HiBC said:
Given another thread says the Pentagon has bought into the 6.8 round,
over time,readily available ,cheap 5.56 ammo and brass will dry up the same way cheap 7.62x39 did.

Sounds like someone might sell me a 6.8mm AR barrel.

HiBC said:
A lot of commercial hunting cartridges are near a buck a shot. So might 5.56 become. How big of a magazine can you afford to fill if it goes that way?

If 5.56 is 35 cents a round, that's still a $10 magazine.

I'm not denigrating those whose chosen sport involves sending lots of rounds in a very short time, but that just isn't my game, so what I have reflects that.

Rebarreling could work out very well,assuming our Fed Gov will take part in allowing significant qty of 6.8 to be released to civilians.

A while back they were destroying all milsurp 5.56 brass.

I don't know anything about what will happen for sure,I'm just confident a large number of polticians and bureaucrats will do anything possible to make life difficult for shooters.

It might be "These are the Good Old Days".....like when gun shows had Lake City 5.56 ammo by the thousands for 2 1/2 to 3 cents a round.Or 7.62x39 for $69 a thousand.

A dry up of available economic ammo would dampen AR interest.

Let me ask you this. Did the dry-up and price increase of 22 LR dampen the sales and interest n 22's? The 22 LR is alive and well,but I think its slowed.
(No,I don't have data)

I'm not denigrating those whose chosen sport involves sending lots of rounds in a very short time, but that just isn't my game, so what I have reflects that.

My ARs have match grade barrels,and I load Matchkings or Nosler Comps or Hornady 75 gr BTHP ammo. I don't do "buddaBuddaBudda" sort of shooting.

I shoot my AR's the same way I'd shoot a bolt gun,I just don't have to rack a bolt.

Last edited:
HiBC said:
Let me ask you this. Did the dry-up and price increase of 22 LR dampen the sales and interest n 22's? The 22 LR is alive and well,but I think its slowed.
(No,I don't have data)

I don't have data either. There were several years when finding any 22lr ammunition under 5 cents a round seemed impossible. I remember taking a friend out to my range maybe 15 years ago and stopping at a big box store. They had 500 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullet for $20. First I thought the clerk misspoke (I knew that one could always find 22lr for less than two cents per round). When I realized he hadn't, I considered leaving and doing something else that day. But I paid the extortionate price and shot that day.

That low end of the market must have suffered in those years. Yet I'm told that the high priced stuff never dried up. Adjusted for inflation, the low end of the market is as good as it's ever been.

In terms of people buying guns and shooting, I think the 22lr market is vibrant. Ruger, CZ and Savage all seem to continue to improve their lines.

My interests intersect both strains in this thread. I've shifted from tinkering with 10/22s to assembling ARs in 22lr. The AR receivers make for a stiff rifle that is easy to free float, easy to clean and easy to adjust for any shooter. Given these virtues, I'd consider a bolt action in a modified upper if they weren't as expensive as the current options. Even a modified bolt that omits the gas key would suffice for what I usually do. https://kalikey.com/product/ar15-kali-key/

My reading suggests that components for ARs in 22lr once contributed to poor accuracy and function. Currently, the range of components is fairly wide and affordable, and the reliability bugs appear to have been worked out.

Last edited:
The AR will be around for as long as our "leaders" permit.
The new and wonderful longer lower wider 6.8mm Whatever will go only to the most eliteister tier 1/2 ninjaswatoperators with the black budget to afford it. The rest will have to uh, soldier on with the 5.56.

I doubt the 6.8mm Whatever will fit an AR15/M16 magazine and bolt travel, no new barrels for you. Heck, it may not be a conventional round at all, not usable in any ordinary action.

We, edging into our 6th or 7th decade, will well remember the VW "beetle". They were every where. Millions sold. The 5.53 is the rifle equivalent. How many "beetles" do you see on the road today? Sadly, you "youngsters" will be saying the same about the 5.53 as you put some age on. Use what you have and never give up!

Yes, they will go away. Perhaps not within the next 10 years or so. But eventually all assault rifles will be banned from private ownership. This is my opinion and anyone can disagree but let's be friendly and polite with each other.

Jack

One of the appeal of the AR is the modularity. Like Lego, they're easy to assemble and reassemble. There's a reason why they're called Barbie Dolls for men. It can become obsolete, but there'll be plenty around.

Sure they'll fade - from the current overheated market. We've had the expiration of the so-called assault weapons ban, the Obama scare, the Hillary scare, and now we have serious talk of another ban. So we still have "get 'em while you can" buying, though you would think the market is near saturation. But short of a forced buy back (possible, but unlikely) the AR in most or all of its variations will be around for a long time. Has the Winchester 1894 faded? Well, yeah, but check the number for sale on Gunbroker. And they're selling new ones for a grand.

Sure they'll fade - from the current overheated market. We've had the expiration of the so-called assault weapons ban, the Obama scare, the Hillary scare, and now we have serious talk of another ban. So we still have "get 'em while you can" buying, though you would think the market is near saturation. But short of a forced buy back (possible, but unlikely) the AR in most or all of its variations will be around for a long time. Has the Winchester 1894 faded? Well, yeah, but check the number for sale on Gunbroker. And they're selling new ones for a grand.
trump scare? McConnell scare?

Back