Is the 380ACP "really" an adequate self defense gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many documented issues of .38 Special and even .45 auto failing to penetrate a skull.
Carrying ANY gun is a compromise-and carrying ANY gun is 100% better than carrying no gun.
Carrying a more powerful gun is better-but how much better? 10%? 25%? How much more trouble is carrying the bigger gun?
I equate it to carrying a space saver spare (or, even Fix-A-Flat!) to carrying a full-size spare tire.

But you clearly implied it.
No I did not. I responded with my own observation that there seemed to be a consensus of experts in the community. In fact, I did not even explicitly say what that consensus was.

What I did imply (though without stating it explicitly) was that the consensus of experts in the community is that expansion provides practical benefit.

One could also reasonably argue that I implied that I disagreed with your assertion and I'll readily admit that I do disagree with it.

However, at no point did I claim or imply that you "stated exactly that it had zero value". What I did was disagree with your original assertion.

It is not reasonable to take my general disagreement with your comment and try to turn it into specific disagreement with a statement that I did not state or imply I disagreed with.

Example:

Person A: "The only value in paper money is the artwork printed on it."
Person B: "Hmm. There seems to be a pretty solid consensus about the value of paper money."
Person A: "Where did I state exactly that paper money has zero value?"

Person B clearly disagrees with person A.
Person A clearly did not state that "paper money has zero value" so the implication in his second statement that he made no such statement is accurate.
Person B clearly did not claim, nor imply that Person A stated "exactly that paper money has zero value" so Person A's second statement is irrelevant.
At what point did I state it had zero value.....?
I disagree with the statement you made--the one that I quoted, not this one that you made up.

I have not claimed, nor implied that you stated expansion had zero value.

Can we be done with this? I'm pretty sure you can poke around for awhile and come up with another red herring, but this one is pretty well exhausted.
Let's keep in mind that I stated my personal opinion, presented my sphere of experience...
If you meant it as an opinion, it makes sense to state that you mean it as an opinion, or at least to make it clear by the choice of wording. Yes, of course, if that's merely your opinion, then it needs no proof. I responded the way I did because it appeared you were stating it as a fact since there was no mention of the comment being nothing more than an opinion nor anything in the wording that pointed in that direction.
Well except for the fact that I did no such thing.
To be fair, that is EXACTLY what you did.

You made an assertion that appeared to be a statement of fact and provided no support for it. Then when I responded with an observation ("...there doesn't seem to be controversy...) you immediately:

1. Tried to accuse me of saying something I clearly did not.
2. Demanded that I provide proof.
That's an obvious double standard.
A properly placed bullet, regardless of type, ALWAYS trumps an improperly placed expanded bullet.
True statement. Not that it proves anything about the value of expansion as any improperly placed bullet, whether it expands or not is trumped by a properly placed bullet. In fact, I made exactly this point in my last post.
Any bullet, regardless of type, that penetrates vitals ALWAYS trumps an expanded bullet that falls short.
As far as terminal ballistics go (hunting) this is almost always true. There are some weird events where violent expansion of rifle bullets seems to have a remote effect even when penetration is lacking but generally speaking, especially in terms of hunting this seems to be accurate. Animals can't self-assess so they don't react based on anything other than pure physiological damage.

When it comes to people, things are different. A person who looks down and sees a crater blown in their torso by a round that expanded violently can be pretty impressed--enough so that they choose to give up even if the bullet didn't penetrate at all. On the other hand, a person shot with a non-expanding bullet that wounds them fatally but that doesn't give much external evidence of serious damage might continue fighting effectively without realizing that they're going to be dead in a matter of several seconds.

This is one reason this topic is a difficult one. At first blush it seems that hunting experience should answer all the hard questions. But the problem is that animals only react based on physiological damage. People, on the other hand, can self-assess and make decisions based on that assessment and on how they believe it might affect their future as opposed to simply reacting to the actual physiological effects of the bullet.

I recall reading an article that was written many years ago by one pundit, who speculated that the violent expansion and often visible cratering effect of the .357Mag 125gr JHP round may have been one of the reasons it was so effective on the street. He speculated that attackers who looked down to see immediately obvious external damage were highly disinclined to continue the attack even if they were not seriously wounded.

This is why drugged up attackers seem to be superhuman. In reality, they aren't superhuman at all, they just aren't capable of properly self-assessing and making rational decisions about the future. That means unlike rational humans, they continue attacking until they are physiologically damaged to the point of being unable to continue.
There are many documented issues of .38 Special and even .45 auto failing to penetrate a skull.
And even a few of bullets penetrating the skull but failing to stop the attacker. There was an incident some years ago where a woman was shot in the head while in her car. The bullet (.44Mag, as I recall) drove directly through her head from front to back, between the two halves of her brain without causing significant injury.

As I recall, the "Terminator" shooting involved Officer Chaney firing a bullet into Mullery's head at contact distance without killing him--he had to shoot him again to completely stop the attack.
Carrying a more powerful gun is better-but how much better? 10%? 25%?
As this thread demonstrates, after many, many years of attempting to answer that question, no one has come up with a generally accepted method for accurately quantifying the real-world stopping power of self-defense handguns.

If a ball to the face/head can incapacitate an athlete without penetrating his/her skull couldn't a bullet, even a smaller caliber bullet?

Skulls are pretty sturdy. Not saying a bullet WILL bounce off or that they can't ever penetrate a skull, but that kind of thing does happen sometimes if the bullet hits at the right angle. And it can happen with pretty much any caliber. The Red Baron took a machinegun bullet to the skull and survived.

So yer saying a .380 at the top of somebody’s head will bounce off? Big BS flag on that.
More studying on the subject would lower your BS flag. Lots of instances where pistol rounds have deflected off skulls WITHOUT penetration.

Maybe but mayor of Saigon shot a guy in the head with what looks like a 642, 38pecial and it made a nice hole...if they charged and put head down and you shoot him in top of head, methinks just about everything will penetrate and down he goes. But thread drift...is .380 ‘adequate’? Yup...

Maybe but mayor of Saigon shot a guy in the head with what looks like a 642, 38pecial and it made a nice hole...if they charged and put head down and you shoot him in top of head, methinks just about everything will penetrate and down he goes. But thread drift...is .380 ‘adequate’? Yup...
Not a 642 but rather the Ugly Duckling Kissin Cousin Bodyguard, model 39 (alumium frame) or 49 (steel frame).

Two different things that should not be confused.

Skulls are not bullet proof. It takes a lot of bone to completely stop a bullet, and human skulls are not strong enough to reliably stop bullets.

Skulls can deflect bullets under certain circumstances. If the bullet hits off to the side and doesn't "bite" into the bone, it can deflect and not penetrate. This is especially problematic with bullets that have a round nose profile.

In other words, the fact that bullets can be shown to have penetrated skulls does not disprove the fact that bullets can sometimes be deflected by skulls. Generally speaking, bullets are capable of penetrating the skull but they do sometimes get deflected.

Nor does the fact that bullets can be shown to have deflected off skulls prove that skulls are bulletproof. The fact that under certain circumstances bullets are deflected doesn't mean that the skull will reliably stop bullets.

I have done some pretty extensive shooting with numerous .380's and taken small game with a Beretta 84 and PPK/S. With hardball, I wouldn't want to bet against a .380 smashing through a human skull. I suppose under the right conditions,
angle, etc., it "may" but those .380's are nothing to sneeze at. People tend to really underestimate the round. Would it be my first choice for bear protection? No. :eek: But against 2 and most 4 legged varmints it is deadly.
As previously mentioned, shot placement trumps all.

Last edited:
You know, this is one of the biggest problems with this topic.

The difference between can/might and will/does is very important and people who can't grasp or accept the difference will find this subject extremely frustrating and apparently contradictory.

'Can/might' means it could happen. It doesn't imply that it always happens, or even that it happens consistently.

"Will/does" means that it's going to happen. It does imply that it always happens, or at least that it happens reasonably consistently.

An unloaded gun can/might stop an attack. (True) Sure, it happens sometimes. Attackers get scared and run without waiting to find out if the gun is loaded.
An unloaded gun will/does stop attacks. (False) If the attacker is determined, an unloaded gun is unlikely to stop an attack.

Bullets can/might deflect off skulls. (True) It does happen sometimes.
A bullet will/does deflect off skulls. (False) It can happen, but it's certainly not going to happen all the time, or even most of the time.

.380ACP can/might stop an attacker. (True) No question that it stops attackers sometimes--probably even a lot of the time.
.380ACP will/does stop attackers. (False) Sometimes yes, sometimes no--then again, the same could be said of any handgun caliber.

Deflected doesn’t equal ‘bounced off’, assuming trajectory is perpendicular to target. I know a guy in HS, shot a bear in Alaska 6 times with a 44mag....3 bounced off his forehead. Deflected.

i have had occasions when a pellet gun and even plenty of .22 lr have bounced off of glass, and everyone knows that bullets always break glass.

so many things demonstrate the same thing. you can even graze a tin can without punching it.

think this over, why do armies wear helmets if they won't stop a bullet? because sometimes you can take a direct hit from a bullet that will skate off of it. well, it will also stop smaller flak. trust me on this one thing, every helmet made is carefully designed to provide curves that are more likely to deflect high velocity projectiles.

I know a guy in HS, shot a bear in Alaska 6 times with a 44mag....3 bounced off his forehead. Deflected.

The .44 magnum is obviously inadequate for shooting a bear in the head. At least that's how I am choosing to interpret that.

The difference between can/might and will/does is very important

People choose very carefully when they want to deal in absolutes and probabilities in 'arguments'. it's a simple and quick way to put up a really absurd straw man argument.

If a .458 winchester deflects on a cape buffalo's horn, obviously, the .458 is inadequate. The most certain way of killing one is blowing a hole in their heads, but the bullets are prone to bouncing off of their heads. hence the buffalo shouldn't be hunted with anything but a tazer, which doesn't need to use a head shot.

Sure, this sort of argument sounds ridiculous but there are many others in this thread that are even more ridiculous.

Personally, I sold my .458 win mag twenty years ago and bought a box of buffalo bore .38 +P. The guy at the gun store said that they were made for buffalo hunters.

OUCH is not the goal!!
A incapacitating hit is. Ouch may or may not work to stop the attack. Dont think “well, that would stop me”.

You are not attacking people while using bath salts as an intoxicant. You are not an enraged 280# ‘roid monster off his meds

Ouch only works on compliant people. Thats why pain compliance techniques only work on non fighting people.
Lol I was being flippant. I really did not think there was anyone on the forum that could not figure that out. Well, there is always one.:)
I love it when Posters are always using the attacker built like a Grizzly Bear and enraged on drugs. Not sure a lot of them actually roaming around. I guess we should now be talking which Bear Load for the city attack Bears.(super large humans enraged by drugs) aka Man Bears.
Ok, so what should we use. Of course not a 380, 9mm. perhaps 44 mag? Remember they are fast and quick. And of course watch how they behave. If they are moving their head from side to side and snarling and snapping there teeth at air, they are getting ready for a attack. Be real careful for the one's with cubs, or Babies I should say.

Which reminds me, which caliber for Zombies? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back