Is the .270 dying?

gyvel

What's your take on the .270 cartridge? Is it a round that has come and gone or do you think it still has a future?

Last time I read the numbers on it, it was listed as the #3 most popular deer rifle round. It may have slipped to 4 or 5 but that hardly makes it obsolete.

One of the things that make it so popular is its versatility. On paper it comes within a hair's breadth of the 7mm Rem. Mag. and does it with less noise, recoil, ammo expense, etc. In reality, it makes an exceptionally good varmint rifle and yet is very popular for elk and moose among knowledgeable hunters.

The .270 will be around for a very, very long time. Many newer chamberings have come and gone but there are some that will last forever. 30-30, .308, .30-06, .270 win. and 7mm Rem. Mag. come to mind.

the .270 win cf will never die because the .270 WB and .270 WSM are barrel burners and unless your trying to shoot a pronghorn at 600 yards they offer little balistic advantage over the classic .270 win cf

also guns like 7mm RUM and 7mm dakota and some of the more powerfull weatherby usually are used for 500 plus shots.

the .270 wb and .270wsm dont have a niche at this point.

most of the new rifles that have flooded the market in the last 20 years have been proven to be fads and will go the way of the likes of 22K hornet or .218 bee

most of the newer guns are specialy guns for exotic hunts.the .243,25-06,.260/6.5_55,.270 wcf,7mm-08,7mm mag,30-30.308,30-06 and .300 win mag will rule everyday hunting forever

I agree 100% with the above 2 posts. I hunted last year with a .270 Win and I had 2 shots and 2 kills. It worked so well that I see no reason to change.

IMO the only time a .270 Winchester and dying should be in the same sentence is when you are talking about the deer you just shot with it.

I'm primarily a hunter and I shoot .270 and .308. Both work perfectly on whitetail.
I just shake my head when I see aisles of expensive bullets I've never heard of.

You don't need to buy something to get better, you need to shoot more.

While its true the 270 is not part of the "tactical" marketing fad, it is still a very popular cartridge.

Its a very versatile cartridge, and with the addition of higher BC bullets added to the market in the last few years, it's added long range shooting to its resume.

The 270 Winchester has a very large following, I'm sure I'll die long before it does:eek: If you are considering getting one and are worried it is dying, don't. Nobody is ever going to replace Jack O'Connor's favorite cartridge.

Is the .270 dying?
What's your take on the .270 cartridge? Is it a round that has come and gone ...?

LOL.

The 270 is and will remain an extremely popular cartridge.

Heck, it's almost as good as a 30-06! ;)

never liked the .270

Mostly because it's such an oddball cartridge. That said, it makes for a fine western deer/elk rifle. It may not be as popular, but I think it will last as long as any of it's siblings and even the parent.

I opened this thinking I was going to see some sort of joke.

Then I was going to come up with some smart a$$ comment but counted to 10 and calmed down.

Short answer NO.

The 277 bullet is an excellent long range bullet, the 270 Win takes advantage of it giving it the perfect case.

What held up the 270 as a long range target round is the lack of match bullets. That's changed. Now you can get 175 gr super high BC bullets that will equal any if your rifle has the twist that will handle it.

The Matrix 175 Gr 270 Matrix bullets gives you a BC in excess of .700, which should remain supper sonic to 2000 yards. But requires a 1:9 twist barrel (or faster). The 165 VLD bullets are getting in excess of .600 with the standard 1:10 barrels.

Long range precision rifle shooter are getting away from the magnums and going to 6.5s or 7mms. (.264-284). The .277 is a good comformise between the two. As more bullet makers get on the ban wagon you'll see the popularity of the popular 270 increasing, not dying.

The .270 is basically the 25-06, 30-06, and 7mm Rem mag in one package.

If you own a .270 you don't 'need' any of those other cartridges listed. With light bullets, it's an ultra flat shooter perfect for varmints and small game. With heavy bullets, is as every bit as powerful as the 30-06 and capable of harvesting all the same game but with certain bullets, potentially has better long range performance. With hand loads and a 24'' barrel. The .270 can be loaded to near 7mm rem mag level.

A 150 grain bullet with a G1 BC of .625 being fired at a MV of ~3000fps, is nothing to turn your nose up at. With that load you should be able to have 1000ft/lbs of energy past 800 yards.

IMO the .277 caliber is underrated, but it's not going anywhere.

Heck, it's almost as good as a 30-06!
I'd argue the .270 is 'better' than the 30-06

I consider .270 to be 'better' on paper than .30-06 because it will shoot bullets with comparable sectional densities faster and flatter than the 06 with equal if not better BC's. And depending on the load, will shoot bullets of equal weight (and higher SD's) almost as fast, if not as fast as the 06'

150 grain .30-06
SD .226
BC ~.435
Velocity ~2910 fps

150 grain .270 win
SD .279
BC ~up to .625
Velocity ~2830-3000 fps
If we compare bullet with comparable SD's
120 grain .270 win
SD .223
BC ~up to .460 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479...ProductFinding)
Velocity- easily in excess of 3200fps.

The way I see it the .270 is measurably better on paper. Game wont likely know the difference, when they're hit in the same spot. (but IMO .270 is easier to shoot making accurate hits easier) but the .308 cal still has more choices for projectiles, much wider projectile weight selection for factory ammo, and longer barrel life.

JD0x0
I'd argue the .270 is 'better' than the 30-06

I have a 30-06 and I think that with the advent of the lighter monolithic bullets, the 270 has been given a modern upgrade in performance.

I have a 30-06 that I'm happy with, but if I had bought a 270 first, I'd probably have been equally pleased.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I asked because I have never gotten into a .270 and now have a chance to buy a CZ 550FS in that caliber. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a cartridge that was "past its prime" and was going away. I know that it has always been a superb long range, flat shooting round, and is especially popular here in AZ in the open flats.

All input GREATLY appreciated.:)

No .270! Thank God! it lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of childhood. I mean hunters. ;)

The Matrix 175 Gr 270 Matrix bullets gives you a BC in excess of .700, which should remain supper sonic to 2000 yards. But requires a 1:9 twist barrel (or faster). The 165 VLD bullets are getting in excess of .600 with the standard 1:10 barrels

I didn't know that. Good stuff, kraig, as Uncle Bill Martino would say.

I have a CZ 550 Premium in .270...worked great on everything I've hit with it and accurate too!

.270 going away...I highly doubt it.

I have a Win Model 70 in .270 Win. I use 140gr Barnes TSX bullets that leave the barrel at 3000+fps. Very accurate with plenty of whack....

Great answers, and this is why I asked the question in the first place. For some reason, you never hear much about .270 anymore, and I was a little hesitant to acquire the CZ for that reason.

But you guys have bolstered my confidence that I am not getting a white elephant.:)

Last edited:
Back