Is Taurus dead? Looking at available guns over 6 months...

I guess the question for me is why?

There are plenty of folks who have never had a problem with their Taurus firearm, but there are also a huge number of folks who have...just google Taurus QC. That's a poor track record in my book and to me, completely unacceptable for a defensive firearm.

Why buy a Taurus when there are plenty of new and reasonably priced used S&W and Ruger Revolvers out there not to mention the huge number of semi-auots from quality manufacturers that have a much better track record for reliability.

If you want to buy a range toy, have at it. For me, any mechanical device can fail, but when it comes to handguns that I might have to defend my life or the lives of those I love with, I want the best quality I can get....YMMV.

There are plenty of all models of Taurus revolvers at any gun show I go to. And I go to all within a 3 hour drive. I'd love to find a Tracker 627 at "dried up" prices.

Brother has just purchased his second, a PT809 and I'm looking at buying my second. Also know that I don't want to be the one standing in front of my PT92 when the trigger is pulled.

Many different variables in the Taurus production equation right now ranging from ownership changes, turmoil/corruption in Brazilian Economy, mandated safety recall, etc...Company is not, however, going anywhere and for in-depth analysis of topic I would recommend visiting the http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but there a problems in Brazil right now.

I am just not interested in buying guns from Brazil. Its not asain country, and probably holds not political threat to us, just no interested.

Local gun store said they quit selling them, to many warranty problems. GF 22 jams alot, but being a semi auto, maybe just need to find the right ammo, I didn't want her to get semi auto. After the jams, she quit firing it and its collecting dust.

Guns sell fast these days. May have slowed a little since the election, maybe not.

Who owns Taurus these days? Many moons ago S&W had a stake in the company but I dont' think so now.

Taurus does have a branch in FL it's small I think, I'll have to check my 709 to see where it came from, I think the 738's are made in florida though.. maybe if trouble in Brazil is keeping Taurus from exporting other guns they could expand Florida...

This might increase prices though but then again the 738's which im pretty sure are made in Florida are pretty cheap even so.

As mentioned Taurus is going through some legal issues .. Brazilian Government issues that is ....
They seem to be focusing on PT111, PT709, PT738,the curve, M85,M605 certain Judges & the PT708 ..

They lowered the prices on some of the models and now you see S&W offering rebates on there fine Sheild line.... Thanks to Taurus ..

The PT709, PT738, PT111 and M605 are the models I own at this time .. all fine weapons ..

I really think they are stepping up to the plate ..

Buckeye!

...They lowered the prices on some of the models and now you see S&W offering rebates on there fine Sheild line.... Thanks to Taurus ..

The PT709, PT738, PT111 and M605 are the models I own at this time .. all fine weapons ..

I really think they are stepping up to the plate ..

Great point that I hadn't really considered in terms of how and why S&W is virtually giving away their 'Glock 26' so to speak (I know it can't accept 30 rounders ;) ).The Shield deal is so good (almost difficult to comprehend in that they're not Blem guns or the like) I picked up a couple figuring if I or family doesn't wind up using one I can move it for more than I paid at some point down the road. But yeah, Taurus is selling a LOT of their CCW models like the PT-111 (have one and it's a solid alternative to the Shield) which may be a variable in the insane Shield sale...

I just did a quick check at Gallery of Guns and took a rough count of Taurus revolvers for sale. >400 of various models and calibers. I did not count semi autos. Looks to me like Taurus is still out there.

If you use any of the gun sale sites, Taurus revolvers are about dried up. The 85 is selling for record cheap and 66s are about all dried up with no 6" stainless around. M44s are about gone and have been for a long time.

For autos, the G2, 709, and TCP appear to be the only autos. The 24/7 and 809 are all but gone for a long time.

Rossi, a Taurus child company, has nearly no revolvers. I have waited for over 6 months to see a new 972 pop up. No dice.

Is this the lawsuit killing Taurus off or does someone know if Taurus is just sticking to the three autos and 85 revolver?
OP, It appears you're right.. The catalog has been decimated.

I've been eye balling the 809's which have been going for around 225.
I've been waiting for one to dip to 200.

I was then informed the 809's have been discontinued.. sure enough.. yup.
Not on website, downloaded 2017 catalog.. and it is SLIM pickins especially on pistols.

We've got the PT22 that's still in production.. although only the newer Poly versions, metal ones got discontinued years ago.

The 92 series is a shell of it's former self, only the black and stainless 92 survives, no 99, 100, or 101 (thats not news though)

It looks like current production pistols break down to
738, 709, Curve, Milpro G2's, 92, 22, 1911

So other than the 1911 and 92 we're looking at all subcompact polymer conceal carry pistols.

The 738 is likely to be replaced by the newly introduced Spectrum.
I suspect the Spectrum will also replace the 709 once it's upsized slightly for 9mm.

The revolver section still looks fairly healthy, the classic 85 is still on the map.. the judge, tracker and raging bull models are there.

Back to the 809.. It's suppose to get replaced by TS and TH models I think they're called.

Taurus at one time had too many guns on the map.. like their pimp edition 22's and 92's.

But now I think they've swung to far the other way, Their catalog is a bit thin imo and I really hate them discontinuing guns that are in some cases only 5 or 6 years into production, As far as I know they still never offered a replacement for the 145 which was a nice compact 45 and a very popular seller.

I also don't like that with every product line refresh they nearly never reuse mag design.. and lets face it there aren't that many competent 3rd party mag mfg's mec-gar is the only one that really comes to mind and they're really selective about what they'll produce so in most cases you're stuck with expensive factory mags.

Taurus has done this to me repeatedly discontinuing models I intend to buy and without any real notice.

I don't think Taurus is dying, But I do hope they get their act together, I hear they're gonna be making more guns in Miami instead of Brazil so maybe that's a good step in the right direction but I tell ya Im really disappointed at the moment I did not realize just how off the rails Taurus has gone till I started looking at the current catalog.

Back