Is Tai Chi Worth a D@*n??

I've used Tai Chi movements at full force before. I've also had it used on me. I've learned a great deal about redirecting and controling force (the hard way at that) through Tai Chi. A principle found in Tai Chi Chuan called the reversion of opposites (part of a yin yang type of thing) is very effective in a combatitive situation. It was yet another thing I got to learn the Hard Way(TM).

Falconer & others,

Yeah, its really interesting when you start to "get it". Some instructors I have encountered used terms such as "catching & returning the technique" or "vibrating into an opponent".

On a tangent, there is a martial arts film called "Tai Chi
Master" that illustrates some of these principles. It's kind of hard to find...but worth watching. The tai chi guys are the "good guys", the "kung fu" guys are the bad guys. I think it was made in Hong Kong before HK reverted to the PRC.

I've studied Tai Chi, SHaolin, Mantis Chuan and Shotokan.
Tai Chi is a GREAT defensive form, but takes a long time to master. It's short on offense.

For rude, crude fighting, a good Indonesian Pentjak Silat is hard to beat, until you lose use of a limb. After that, a good hard kung fu--Shaolin or Wing Chun is hard to beat. Until then, Kung Fu is as good. Combine that with a Filipino stick form--Kali or Arnis and you'll be set for anything.

I prefer, of course, ching ching pow to any unarmed art.

I don't recommend Tae Kwon Do for anything except warm up and tournament.

Elizabeth Petersen,
My question is with your "Run screaming the other way" system of self defense, is that before or after you empty your firearm into them?

Ok put your waders on...

All right, get ready to flame me....

For you others, put on your hip waders and raincoat, it's going to get thick here.

For you others...if you understand what I'm putting down...you're there and you know of which I speak....

In my search since 1958...I tried to find a quick route to "instant" martial arts...the answer of course is directed hard work in realistic techniques and Bruce's adage that "to learn to swim, you must get in the water."

So I got into the "challenge method of learning." Didn't know this old body could take such a beating...but I learned on the receiving end, whether or not the technique had enough "reality" or power in it.

At one point, I chased down the "iron palm" guys, then some of the Chen Ta'i Ch'i guys,vibrating palm dudes, and the poison hand people who came out of China and Korea. Lot of hard hitters, but still couldn't find someone who could teach me the "secret" hits.

Finally, met Bruce and at the same time oddly enough...a middle aged lady who could knock me down "gently" without seeming effort. Bruce had the hard way of knocking me down and sometimes out, but it was not "gentle."

I first learned Bruce's way then when I got the one inch punch down I began my training with Mrs. Sun. Been in the Sun Family style ever since.

I learned to move people two times my weight, I am 182 pounds now. I have learned it is not my "hit"...it is how hard the floor or the wall is when you direct the person into those objects at an accelerated speed. It is not throwing...all of it was learned slow until we could move people or objects which were heavier than you slowly , then at a moderate speed, then again at a slow speed at an extremely close distance. Then finally at an accelerated speed.

Try it, it helps whatever you are learning. I have students now at 3 to 6 months who "control" others who have taken other martial arts for a longer time.

Now..Bring on the FLAMES and slings and arrows.

"I am simply speaking MY Truth."
Believe and do what you will...it only affects your life.

I don't think the issue is whether one trains slowly, the issue is whether one ONLY trains slowly.

There is a whole heap of evidence that the MAJORITY of Tai Chi practitioners either:

a) Don't integrate butt-kick training into their regimen at all, in fact, don't even believe in it. or,

b) Only give it lipservice and NEVER get up to speed.

I believe in the simple concept that butt kick training should be as realistic as possible, cocsistent with safety. I am baffled that anyone would would take any other attitude.(This post is not dirtected to any particular previous post.)

It is not easy to find worthwhile Tai C'hi instruction. Most is New Age Armwaving and a large proportion of the remainder is the dishonest work of stage magicians promising to initiate their students into some supernatural art.

After studying with some famous folks (including Da Liu and Wm. C.C. Chen [both are armwavers, unfortunately]) and searching for over thirty years for a good Tai C'hi martial arts instructor I found Erle Montaigue.

If you are interested, see his website:
http://www.taichiworld.net/

It contains some articles which can tell you where he's coming from. For example:

Go to "New Articles" and click "Taijiquan & Self-Defence"
excerpt: "There is no ‘soft’ way to fight someone or to defend yourself. No possible way to defend yourself and not harm the opponent! However, how many times do you hear that Taiji is the ‘soft’ martial art that can be used to ‘gently’ put someone down."

or go to "New Articles"/"Rules For Fighting"
excerpt: "1/. Never step backwards. ...
4/. Never use two steps in fighting. ...
6/. Never use a lock or hold as your main fighting method. ...
7/. Never use pushes or pulls in self-defence. ...
9/. The legs are for standing, the hands are for fighting. ..."

And, yes, it is possible, not easy, to learn by videotape.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Bentley

Interplanetary Grand Poobah, Chi Ken Gua No - art of winning through retreat.

While I do not practice Tai Chi, I do practice Kenpo Karate and Doce Pares. Recently in an effort to help me get more fluid movement and not worry about body mechanics, my instructor recommended "practicing at Tai Chi speed..." The thought is if you can do it perfectly slowly, you can do the same at full speed. So far it has greatly improved my technique.

Just my opinion......
===========
left over right.....

...I think the truth is, few folks have the time or inclination to practice things they don't understand. Better you find what works for YOU...It is, after all, your time and work...which incidentally...is all that Kung Fu means...

While practicing at slower speed is a core training method, it is hardly an idea that is unique to Tai-Chi. The average golf pro will tell you to do the same thing.

I think the original question splits into two parts.

1) Is Tai Chi ALONE effective in a street fight?

2) Are there health benefits to practicing Tai Chi, and can these benefits be documented?

The answer to question one is clearly no. Jury still out on question 2.

To: George Hill
Re.: If you want to seriously kick butt: Shotokan.

I'd be interested if you'd expand on this, I.E.: What makes you think Shotokan is so effective?

Back