Is remington 870 the best pump shotgun available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have pump brownings,Mossbergs,benellis,ithacas,winchesters,and remingtons. for actual use (not petting and saying ohh that's pretty), the 870 wins.

Mossberg 500 with 28 or so inch barrel...
But I am biased! I give extra points to being a family run company in america...:D
Until I found TFL I didn't know there was another gun maker...:o:rolleyes:
Brent

One more vote for the NEF Pardner. Well made and reliable.:)

I'm not new to shotguns and have had all makes at one time or another.

Compared to present manufacture,Rems and Mossie's, they're a better gun!

Let the flames begin!:eek:

My only gripe with the 870 is the trapdoor over the feeding tube. I can see that getting in the way in an HD situation. Not that it concerns me much because if I can't end a fight with 5+ rounds of 12ga then I'm probably screwed anyway.

Get a saiga 12 and some 10 round mags.....

Oh wait u said pump?

I own a 500 but I haven't experience this but the plastic safety breaks off.

I haven't had any probs with my 500. I like it.

I have experience with both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. The HD gun at my parents house is a Remington 870 and I have a Mossberg 500 I got as a belated 12th birthday gift. Both guns are GREAT guns for the price, but I favor the Mossberg over the Remington. The Mossberg isn't really as finicky with special shells like the Remington is. Plus to me it seems the Mossberg has a more smooth pump action to it.

As for the whole 3 1/2" magnum shells goes, to me they are nothing more than just a 10 gauge stuffed into a 12 gauge. I'm not ashamed to admit this because I'm not a fan of hard kicking guns, but the 3 1/2" shells are NOT something you want to shoot all day long.

"Best" is hard to quantify IMHO. Like the others have said 870, 500, 590, 37, 1300, BPS take your pick they are all capable. I prefer the 14" 590, but did a class yesterday with a 20" 870 with no issues.

There are, IMHO, better shotguns out there for the money or certainly shotguns comparable to the 870 (the Benelli SuperNova Tactical and Mossberg 590/590A1 come to mind). But, there is the area of parts availability/marketshare to consider, of which the Remington enjoys above all others. Aside from that, maybe the 870 Police notwithstanding, I do not really see any reason to call the current 870 the "best."

Now, if we are speaking of "older" Remington 870's, maybe things would prove a bit different. But, I personally do not think current 870s are worthy of the "crown" that they may have held in the past.

Last edited:
The 870

I have 3 and think the're the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I also own a Ford f-150 ,so as with pick-ups and shotguns we can argue this until the cows come home. It's all a matter of choice, that's what makes this country so great, CHOICE!!!! Buy it, know it, love it.

Dunno why a "best pump" thread just has to devolve into Rem. 870 vs. Moss. 500... I've both, like 'em both fine, but they are what they are, which is to say pretty utilitarian tools.

zippy13 said:
Some folks will gladly spend more for a good used Winchester Model-12 than a new model pump.

Mmm-hmm. I don't know what the story is with this (bought a collection, maybe?), but Whittaker Guns has a bazillion Model 12s right now -- $349.00 and up (and up, and up... :p). I haven't dealt with them myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from others.

I'm sorely tempted, but can't really justify another gun purchase right now... :(

It is certainly one of the leaders in it's price class.

Remington vs. Mossberg is like Ford vs. Chevrolet. Both get the job done, it's just personal preference.

But ford ain't owned by the gubmint nor bankrupt so I am switching sides...:D:eek:
I like mossbergs cuz I like cheap ugly step-children:rolleyes:
Brent

870s....

Well, the basic design has been around forever and many if not most police agencies use the 870. However, the newer twin action bar mossberg 500's are in my opinion just as good. The carrier system on the 500 is actually better. Safety is a preference issue and accessory prices go to mossberg because you get equivalent stuff cheaper from them. I bought a 7 shot 870 express last december that I plan to use for bird hunting and home protection. I wanted a cheap 12 guage that I could switch back and fourth easily for both purposes. The mossberg requires serious tools to put on an extended magazine tube. However, the standard gun holds 5 shells vs. Remington's 4 shells on field guns. Extended Remington with the +2 extension only hold one more round at 6. I should have bought the Mossberg defence/hunting combo instead of the Remington as it would have been a better deal. Even so, I'm not planning on selling the 870 anytime soon as it is probably the most easily accessorized shotgun on the market. A more rugged but not as popular choice is the browning BPS. It's a tank! A great shotgun that some will critisize for defense because there is a lack of side ejection port for easy shell changes. It's harder to switch buck for a slug in a BPS but I don't think that's a big deal to most people in a defense situation. Older Ithaca 37s are also fantastic guns that served the military in places like vietnam. The biggest difference between the BPS and the Ithica 37 is conventional vs. top tang safety on the BPS. The BPS is better for a lefty. Oh and the carrier release is more convienient on the 37. Really it all comes down to learning your shotgun so you can use it in the dark without hesitation. That's why I wanted to start using my defense shotgun for field shooting. Use of your defense weapon should be instinctive. I'm sorry if I've offended some of you plastic benelli owners but I don't consider those in the same class as the 870, BPS, Mossberg 500 or Ithaca 37. Oh and another good choice for defense are the Winchester Model 12's that can still be found in shootable condition. However, they are fixed choke and not steel shot compatible. rc

SCREW THE 870 EXPRESS!!!!! for the price of a new express you can get yourself one of these off of gunbroker with a little looking....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130338217

i have 5 870's
1 20 ga express that i have had since i was 12
1 12 ga express that i shouldnt have bought
2 early 1950's wingmasters that are the cat's meow when it comes to fit, finish, slickness and old american craftsmanship
1 first year production wingmaster that i turned into a riot gun that sleeps behind the bedroom door.....

i cant get rid of my 20 ga express cuz i have killed so many animals with it but i am going to get rid of my other express cuz after you handle a wingmaster...there is no other shotgun.

mossberg vs 870 express?? its about a horse apiece, mossber vs. older wingmaster??? not even a fair comparison:D

These threads are useless.

Buy which one you think is the best.

I like the 870's.

I also like the 835. It's my main turkey hunting gun and throws the better patterns.

Winchester 1300's are bad to the bone as well as the Browning BPS pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back