Is remington 870 the best pump shotgun available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The others are cheaply made to a price point and are not worth making out the paper work to buy them.

But how do you really feel?

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh08-e.htm

This is clearly the best pump shotgun in the world. It is the best because you can't get it, and if you could it would cost 10 times what any other pump gun does.

Over 10 million Remington 870s have been sold. All of those buyers are obviously idiots.

Therefore guns that can't be obtained are the best.

Just a little jab at the "logic" displayed in these type threads. :D

500, 870, 37, BPS, SN, etc are all acceptable pump shotguns. A competent user should be able to get the best out of any pump shotgun on the market. Buy the one that feels best to you and then practice. Practice until your chosen shotgun feels like an appendage of your body.

Personally, I feel comfortable with any of the major models (after they have proven reliable [several hundred rounds with no issues]). The only pump gun to fail my personal test was an 870 Express. No doubt I could have fixed it, but it's my opinion a gun should work out of the box.

However, if you want a zombie slaying tactical blaster, the Remington 870 is a better choice because it has more accessories available for it.

Yep, loads of accessories available for the 870 and 500. They all seem to serve no purpose other than separating the gun owner and his money. Bolting, railing, gluing, taping, velcroing or otherwise attaching $500 (and 10 pounds) of crap to a shotgun doesn't make it more efficient, reliable, deadly or whatever. The absolute best accessory for a shotgun (or any gun) is ammo and range time.

Last edited:
buy american

for once I am in the buy american league.I have savage rem 870 and mossberg 500.they all do what I want.I used to have a win 97 and it worked.
we are losing our american companies.and I thought Ithaca went out of business.the 37 is good for lefties as it ejects down.:rolleyes::eek:

I love the 870. I have a 20 gauge 870 youth express (my first pump), 12 gauge tactical (express) 870, and a 12 gauge Express super mag. All 3 have been 100% reliable. With that said I've never fired a pump shotgun besides the 870. I handled a benelli super nova the other day and it was silky smooth though.

Fit

I love My Win 1300 Shadow, much faster than my 870. I must say I belive the fit is more inportant than the make. IMHO, must new guns will give you great service for years to come

The claim of an 870 being more durable is based on the steel versus aluminum receiver me thinks. Other than that they both are tuff guns IMHO... But I haven't owned a Remington nor broken a mossberg...
Brent

The longer term pump guns - in my opinion are the 870 Wingmaster, Browning BPS and the Win model 12. They are all solid guns. The 870 Wingmaster and the BPS are still available new for around $ 500 - $600.

Benelli is certainly making some solid guns these days as well. Picking a pump gun depends on what you like /what you need.

Except at the low end of the price range - you're getting decent components out of all the pump guns out there / in 870's, Mossbergs, etc.

My personal pump guns are BPS Hunter models, 28" barrels, one in 12ga, one in 20ga ( but I'm not into tactical shotguns ).

There is no magic bullet in shotguns. If I had to STICK to one brand only, it would be Mossberg...mostly because for the price you don't feel bad beating these guns into the ground...and they seem to like it. I LOVE 870s, I love Winchester, I love Ithaca, LOVE the shotgun in general, hell I even love NE firearms single shots..but if I was forced to confine myself to a brand it would be Mossberg because of the good balance between cost and sheer durability coupled with the ease of finding parts and Mossberg has good customer service...as does Remington. If you're gonna get a shotgun, go get a decent used Mossberg 500 and put a ton of lead shot down it. Learn to use it, take it down, maintain and reassemble and diagnose issues. Then after you got that down, get into 870's and learn about mag extensions and such. Youtube amd these boards always help.

The claim of an 870 being more durable is based on the steel versus aluminum receiver me thinks.

Doesn't matter. The Mossbergs lock up steel on steel inside the reciever; just the housing is aluminum. I haven't heard ANYTHING on the internet about a damaged Mossberg housing, other than possible blatant misuse(i.e. using the gun as a sledgehammer).

I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

My options just increased. I was originally going to get either the rem 870 or the mossberg 500, but am now considering the ithaca 37 and the benelli super nova as well (thanks for your suggestions btw).

But something about the benelli super nova just...attracts me. Maybe cuz it's like the ferrari of guns to me? How does it compare to the other guns you guys have suggested? Would you guys recommend it? Or should I just stick with good old rem 870?

If I can't decide by this weekend, I might just have to use the eenie meanie minie moe approach :D

To attempt a quote from Louis Awerbuck- "It's the singer, not the song." Worry about making yourself a shotgunner. If you do that successfully, almost any shotgun that comes to hand will do quite well for you. If you don't, you'll never find a shotgun that works.

There IS no "best." There are lots of good shotguns out there- and lots more good shotguns than shotgunners, if you add them all up. Any good shotgun will do, if YOU will do. Worry more about the software and less about the hardware, and you'll be much better off in the long run.

BTW, stick to smoothbore barrels for general purpose use/versatility- rifled barrels do well pretty much with sabot slugs only. They generally don't do well with shot loads.

And if you want to find what shotgun works best for you, spend some time behind the recoil pad with a bunch of different makes/models before you buy. You'll get a better idea what works for you from hands on experience than from reading everyone-has-one opinions on the 'net.

Happy shopping,

lpl

Like Lee said.

A competent shotgunner can turn just about any shotgun into a deadly, effective tool.

While my regard for 870s knows few bounds, my effectiveness is compromised little if I have other brands in my oversized mitts.

Get a reliable shotgun of known make. Add wear marks by shootingtheheckoutofit.

Voila!!

A great defensive shotgun is born....

I dont think this will be the only shotgun in my collection

Hey guys, just to clear things up i dont intend on using my first shotgun in HD configuration. I am probably going to purchase another one for that (the more the merrier, right?). That being said, which shotgun would you recommend for everything EXCEPT HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back