Is remington 870 the best pump shotgun available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank15

Hey everyone,

I am planning to purchase my first pump shotgun. I've heard mixed review about many shotguns, but most people seem to favor the remington 870.

I am just wondering...price aside, are there any other pump shotguns that are just as good, if not better than the remington 870?

So far I am leaning towards the remington 870 magnum combo (smooth bore barrel + rifled deer barrel).

Any other suggestions?

If your looking for a hunting shotgun, Remington 870 is your choice.

If your looking for home defence shotgun, the Mossberg 500 is a better choice IMO, the Mossberg 500 comes with a 20 inch barrel and 8 round capacity off the bat, for a price less of a 870 security model.

If your looking for best of both worlds (Hunting, defence) I'd day an 870 express + an 18inch police barrel with rifled sights (Purchased seperatly, and installed yourself).

Last edited:
ahhh, boy. Here we go again :)

If you're truly asking price aside, I must have to say go pick up a Benelli or Ithaca :)

I'm gonna stand by my Mossberg 590 for HD, but if you plan to do any hunting, pick either a Mossy 500 or a Remington 870. You're on the right track, and you'll probably be perfectly happy with either.

The only thing is, it seems like a lot of people dislike the 870 Express for various reasons, and usually opt for the Police one. That's just on the grapevine, though.

So do whatever strikes your fancy. I believe this could be the 2500000th thread about this, and I think they both work just fine.

There are a number of quality shotguns out on the market today. Ithaca model 37, the 870, and also the Browning BPS just to name a few. I have owned all of the three aforementioned guns and would recommend all three of them. I currently have BPS shotguns in the gun cabinent, not that I planned that. Thats just how the trading went.

The Remington 870 Express and the Mossberg 500 are frequently up for comparison. It doesn't make then the best, they are among the less costly and therein lies their popularity. If you're looking for the best Remington pump gun consider the 870 Wingmaster, not the Express.

Don't restrict your search to Remingtons and Mossbergs. The Browning BPSs and Benelli Nova's are also popular guns. Some folks will gladly spend more for a good used Winchester Model-12 than a new model pump.

The Hawk 982 & H&R Pardner Protector 870 style shotguns are as good or better than the 870 for tactical home defense. Overall they are more reliable with all brands of ammo. Some 870 shotguns have problems with fired shells sticking in the chamber.

The H&R Pardner Pump line are great hunting shotguns as well.

GC

Either will do fine. I thought about putting a red dot sight on my 870. Just put the 8 round mag tube extender on mine. Very scary for HD.

Thanks for your help everyone

I have a few more questions though.

What's the main purpose of the 3 1/2" magnum shells?

How much am I looking at for the police barrel?

Home defense isn't too much of an issue for me, since I got my trusty (almost 1000 rounds of different types of ammo, 0 malfunction) Colt 1911 :D, but the police barrel just sounds awesome...

Oh, and can sabot slugs (winchester XP3) be used in smooth bore barrels even though it states on the box "for fully rifled barrels only"?

if u want a shotgun that can do everything and be droped out of tree stands layed in mud neglected from normal maitanance and still keep firing the 870s heck to hold. if u want a shotgun that is cheaper and has cheaper add ons (barrels sights stocks etc.) but can still be left in truck tool boxes for years the mossberg 500 is great for that. some people love the 870 but hate the 500 but i love guns period they all have a purpose of something even them danged saturday night speceal hand guns have a place as a paper wieght in my home, i personally have never met a pump action shotgun that wouldnt cycle or would fire if u did ur part in keeping it healthy and feeding it the right stuff (im not saying there not out there ive just never incounterd one). yes the 870 is a great shotgun new or used in every variation thats been made.

I think the Ithaca 37 is a better shotgun.

It's lighter, it's smoother, the engraving is neat, and bottom ejection is super cool.

Also, it's more ergonomic than the Remington 870. The slide release on the 870 is on the left side of the triggerguard, where it's impossible to reach without taking a hand off of the gun (unless you are left handed). The slide release on the Ithaca 37 is on the right side of the triggerguard within easy reach of the trigger finger.

Older versions of the Ithaca 37 will also slamfire, meaning that if you hold the trigger down and cycle the action, it will fire as soon as it locks into battery. It's tremendously fun (if you are expecting it).

However, if you want a zombie slaying tactical blaster, the Remington 870 is a better choice because it has more accessories available for it.

I also handled and fired my friend's Browning BPS. I was quite impressed. It was at least as smooth as my Ithaca, maybe more so. It has an ambidextrous safety on the tang, similar to the Mossberg. It didn't appear to be possible to load a shell directly into the chamber as is possible with the Ithaca and Remington, but maybe I just wasn't able to figure it out.

NO NO NO, it is most definately not !

Hands down, best pump on the market is the Browning BPS. Patterns beautifully, is great in the field, the blueing is fantastic... pure quality

Q+A

I think the Ithaca 37 is a better shotgun.
+1 on that. But...the 870 is a fine firearm in any case.

About 3.5" shells. The 3.5" shell was developed by Federal and Mossberg as a way "to put more of the lighter steel shot into waterfowl ammunition." (from "Cartridges of the World", p.496). Popular size with turkey hunters,also.
Sabots - "rifled barrels only" in a smoothbore. They will go "bang". I suspect that accuracy will be compromised. Buy a box and see. Maybe someone else has tried and will chime in.
Pete

All the guns mentioned will serve you well. Shoot as many of them as possible and then pick the one that fits you the best. They all are just a little different and so are the people who shoot them. Having tried most of the guns mentioned, the Remington fits me the best but one of the others may be better for you. Good luck, there is no bad choice listed above: Bill

Hank15 said:
What's the main purpose of the 3 1/2" magnum shells?
The obvious answer is to provide greater shell capacity to allow more powder and shot. You probably want to know why someone would want more. If you've noticed the super-mag shotguns are generally for two purposes; water fowl and turkeys.

With water fowl, lead shot is no longer legal and steel is the cheapest replacement. As darkgael said, steel being less dense than lead takes up more volume in the shell for an equal weight load. So, larger cases were developed.

With turkeys, it's generally the desire to shoot more at higher velocities to increase the effective range of the load. With more range, the pattern has more spread, so it makes sense to have more pellets in the pattern. Again, larger cases were developed.

There's one segment of the population who's going to want the biggest and the best no matter what the product. Does it really matter if your street machine can go four times the maximum speed limit instead of just three? Just because you've got a super-mag gun doesn't mean you have to take advantage of its capacity. I suspect most of them get a steady diet of 2 3/4" shells with occasional 3 " loads. If you've followed past postings, shooting a 3 1/2" super-mag in a relatively light weight gun like an 870 can be a shocking experience. Once I shot a .458 Win. Mag in a Browning light weight bolt action safari gun, once was enough.

Is the 870 the best?

In my opinion: Probably yes

I have owned the 870 and Mossberg 500. Both are excellent choices in .12 GA and .20 GA. You really can't go wrong with either choice of shotgun.

But, I just love the way the model 870 functions (smooth as butter action). I have two of them and they are the older Wingmaster models and love the way they handle and shoot. The Mossberg just was not as smooth of an action in my opinion but it never failed and always functioned. I sold my Mossberg to my neighbor and bought another older Wingmaster in .20 GA that is the cat's meow, really fun to shoot.

The only decent pump guns left are the Ithaca 37, Remington Wingmaster, and the Browning BPS,. The others are cheaply made to a price point and are not worth making out the paper work to buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back