Is Reloading too Expensive?

I don't think this thread makes any sense. Its no QUESTION whatsoever, reloading is cheaper. You can spend under $200 and start reloading.
Code:
	Powder	       Brass	 Bullet	Primer    Reloads Commerical	% better
Pistol	 $0.021 	 $0.06 	 $0.10 	 $0.10 	 $0.28 	 $0.45 	-55%
223/556	 $0.103 	 $0.15 	 $0.10 	 $0.10 	 $0.45 	 $0.60 	-40%
	$30/per lb
The brass price assumes your paying for cleaned, 1x shot cases.
If you re-use brass, the price goes lower. I use brass 10x sometimes.
For the cost of the cheapest dirt commercial ammo, I can make premium loads that cost over $1.25 per load commercially.

Also, there is no price you can put on doing something you like. Reloading is a hobby, it bides time as you get older, instead of watching TV.

I make what I want, when I want, and I dont have to look around online or drive to the store, so shipping cost and fuel and that time is saved too.

While it is possible to reload cheaply and at a MUCH reduced price over what's on the shelf now - price is not why I reload.

I can produce a box of 50 .40 S&W reloads with scrap lead cast projectiles and free to me range brass for appx $4 a box. My JHP .40 I can produce for $7/box - So yeah - that's a VAST savings over the $45/box off the shelf I'm seeing in gun stores now ( before COVID you could find a box of production .40 S&W for $29 to $32 )

I reload for superior quality. I quality control my reloads 5 to 7 times per round throughout my process. Production ammo take samples per 10000 rounds for quality control - see the difference? In my last 30000 reloads, I have experienced 5 miss-fires. Production ammo - I've had as many as 3 miss-fires in a single package of 50.

I customize my projectiles from the following standpoints - lead alloy - projectile lube - powder coat - projectile nose ogive shapes - hollow point projectiles in cast lead which I can do in multiple configurations - custom projectile metal jackets - custom jacketed hollow points - creased & uncreased JHPs - semi-frangible rounds - projectile weights in .40 from 115 to 187 grain - different powder charges from 3.8 to 6 grains in different grades of powder for different performance - different primers from different manufacturers - different case prep processes including dry and wet with different types of polishing media - different case brass headstamps which may perform differently in different weapons -

My equipment collection was not cheap - I've spent close to $2000 on my gear over the course of my hobby. It is an investment which has been built up over time. MOST of my reloading could have been done with less than $400 of equipment.

For me it is in no way the cost. For me it's all about the craft of reloading. A part of that craft is not to be reliant upon ammunition manufacturers and their associated costs and supply chain problems. Another part of the craft is knowing my weapons and ammunition FAR better than the vast majority of gun owners ever will or ever care to.

I too have loaded my own ammunition for decades; started in my early teen years in the late 60's loading .357 rounds with a Lyman 310 Tong Tool, Bullseye powder and a hand made powder dipper adjusted for throw weight on a friend's scale. It was painfully slow but taught me the value of my time, not to mention the importance of grip, sight picture & alignment and the mantra, "one shot at a time". Sixty years later, I love my Dillon presses for pistol, Herrett turret for the rifles and all the associated tools...it's been a fun odyssey.

After decades of slowly increasing prices, I was painfully surprised by the hoarding & shortages of the Obama years. I swore I'd never get caught again and laid in a 4-5 year supply of the essentials: primers, powder, brass, and jacketed bullets. Now at 75, I may have a life-time supply. When combined with a life-time's worth of equipment/experience casting my own bullets, I'm riding out the current political/societal mess. It's not been fun...and for many, it WILL get worse.

Would I advise starting out, even with today's ridiculous prices, HELL YES. Our 2nd Amendment rights are eroding. Shutting off the ammunition supply, via price or fiat, is a real possibility. Load your own or take up archery!

If you're just starting, buy what and when you can. Doing it on a paycheck to paycheck basis spreads out the pain. IMHO, we'll never see the post-Obama rock bottom prices for most handgun components, so make your plans accordingly.

Best of luck, Rod

Last edited:
I swore I'd never get caught again and laid in a 4-5 year supply of the essentials: primers, powder, brass, and jacketed bullets. Now at 75, I may have a life-time supply. When combined with a life-time's worth of equipment/experience casting my own bullets, I'm riding out the current political/societal mess.

Ditto, but I'm 4 years younger than you, Rod.;)

Don

Noting some admitted ages here, I wonder what the age range of TFL members is. If we have a significant number of 30-40-year-olds who do NOT reload, or even shoot for that matter, disinterest will be the future common denominator for gun control.

My son grew up with shooting and hunting as a hobby but his career moved him to the big city and away from shooting to favoring golf. He tried to get me interested but I told him the only way I'll go is with my shotgun to see if I can obliterate his driving distance.

Noting some admitted ages here, I wonder what the age range of TFL members is. If we have a significant number of 30-40-year-olds who do NOT reload, or even shoot for that matter, disinterest will be the future common denominator for gun control.

My son grew up with shooting and hunting as a hobby but his career moved him to the big city and away from shooting to favoring golf. He tried to get me interested but I told him the only way I'll go is with my shotgun to see if I can obliterate his driving distance.
Someone should make a poll somewhere on here. I am 34

Reloading is not too expensive. It is the match fees, tag fees and guns that really add up. :)

I cleaned and organized my gun room yesterday. Found about 10K bullets I forgot I had. Loaded some .45-70. 4 hours with Dr. Shrink would have cost me a lot more. :)

I get the NSSF demographics package sent to me every year. While the demographics are still heavily slanted toward mid to old middle class white guys, the atypical demographics are increasing. Age dropping, gender about the same, minorities increasing. The "ancillary" pursuits are dropping though, hunting, camping, fishing, reloading, while target shooting and self defense are the driving hot markets.

One of the "Elite" ranges I know of is out of rental safe space for members and has a 2 year waiting list. Most of the new gun owners I have taught have NO interest in continued training, reloading, etc. Most just want a one time intro and think that is good enough. My friend who used to teach the Reloading class 4 times a year can't fill one a year to half capacity. Most of his students are single women.

I am 54. But my 17 year old and 20 year old can both shoot, hunt, fish, reload, etc., and they love it.

I am 59.

I didn't have children of my own (but 4 adult children via marriage), so I didn't raise any firearm enthusiasts. I myself wasn't raised in a firearm household (my father was in the army, but didn't hunt or shoot and owned no guns). I was fascinated by guns from the first time I shot one while camping as a child (22 single action). I hit the cans from the first shot. So I got my first gun at age 21 in 1983. I still don't hunt. I don't like killing animals.

I will support any of my grandchildren in the shooting sports, should it arise. My oldest grandchild is 10 and she just got a bb gun. I have two very young grandsons whose father is a hunter, so I'm sure they'll carry on that tradition.

It has been done before.
Average age here leans heavily toward boomers, and tapers off as age decreases.

The trend is even more exaggerated for reloaders.

Although probably somewhat of an indication of the average involvement of the various generations, I do not believe it to be the complete picture.
One should keep in mind that younger generations prefer other forums and platforms for firearm and reloading discussion.
Specifically, they prefer live discussion and more activity, such as can be found with Facebook, Discord, MeWe, reddit, Slap, and more. Some won't even participate unless the place has almost no moderation and their identity is anonymous, like with 4chan.

I am 71 and got my start at age 8. Thank you uncle Will. I still have the Remington single shot you and your friend gave me. That would be the Remington Model 510. While neither kid has taken to shooting the granddaughter seems to have taken to it. The same one who loves rides on the back of my bike and loves bike nights. :)

Rimfires1.png

Ron

Been handloading since about 1990. Started because it was suggested to me by a friend who already did it. Have passed him by as far as experience and number of guns I load for. I shoot much more because of it and am a much better shot. It seems that I forget about Democrats being against guns and ownership and get caught short on some components. During the Clinton years it was primers. During Obama I stocked up on powder. Now it seems everything is short. It is not really in short supply so much as it is there are several million first time gun owners now as compared to 2 years ago. I am ok though. My son asked me the other day if I could load some for a fellow employee of his. I told him it would not be worth it because of finding components and high prices. I don't want to bother with it..
The nicest thing I can say about hand loading is that I don't have to worry about whether or not the store has my ammo and if it is the right weight and bullet type. I have it already.
Someone on a website once told me and others that he didn't see a need for manuals with access to computers. I suggested that unless he made copies and kept them organized they didn't do much good when the computer goes down. Those manuals sit on the shelf and can't go down. I guess I need to shut up and go turn off my case cleaner.

Most of my reloading equipment was purchased when it looked like there would be a Dukakis administration. I stocked up on powder when Hercules was sold to Alliant. I purchased several thousand primers when it looked like Gore was moving into the White House.

Mainly I have to buy bullets and they do not seem to be as affected by current events. The main change recently has been the current craze for range indoor air quality which makes the 10,000 (think I have maybe 8500 left) cast 45 ACP bullets I bought in the 2005 era unusable indoors.

Is Reloading too Expensive?

NOPE not anymore especially if you were stocked up before 2020 . What's going on today is a perfect example why one should reload . Ranges looking pretty empty these days compared to 2 years ago . Gone are the days of seeing guys doing mag dumps as if ammo grows on trees lol . Well I still do an mag dumps once and awhile . I can because although ammo does not grow on trees it does grow on my bench ;)

Last couple of days, I’ve loaded up a few hundred rounds of 223 and a hundred of 220 Swift, all with my preferred bullets and powders, and prepped brass for several calibers. You couldn’t buy what I made.

Tomorrow I’m going to work up some loads for the 223 with 2 specific bullets for pig hunting, and then choose which to use. If you don’t reload, what I’m doing is impossible.

That’s why I reload. At one time it was about the money. Now I’m way past that.

If a fellow can buy a box of 20 bullets and deer hunt for 5 seasons with it, good for you, but that isn’t me and never has been.

Back