Is Reloading too Expensive?

If you’re going to count the cost of equipment you also have to count the value it would have if you sell it. So as a general rule you would only count maybe 50% of the actual cost or these days a lot less since the value of used reloading equipment is pretty high. Or in some cases if you bought your equipment a long time ago and it’s in good shape it may even have appreciated in value.

It depends on one's perception of "too". If reloading was too expensive, I'd be shooting factory ammo, but I'm not. So, no, reloading is not too expensive. ymmv

Or in some cases if you bought your equipment a long time ago and it’s in good shape it may even have appreciated in value.
Indeed.
Nearly every major tool on my bench is worth more now than I paid for it, even when factoring for inflation.

Some of my die sets are discontinued and unavailable from anyone but CH4D now; or simply not available anywhere any more. There are a few boxes in my collection that would easily sell for 3 or 4 times what current retail would be if they were being made; and they're 20, 30, 40+ year old dies for which I, for the most part, paid fractions of pennies on the dollar.

They are tools. They hold value - even if not greater than original purchase price.
They do not cease to have any value the moment the owner stops using them.

The cost of reloading can be minimized. I started with a Lee Loader for 270, a pound of IMR4064, 100 Nosler 130 gr SBBT bullets and 100 primers. And I bought a plastic faced hammer for sizing. I killed many deer with those reloads. Only later did I go whole hog on the gear. That really was a money saving venture, till I started buying the fancy stuff.

If a fellow is going to shoot a lot, and use several calibers, it seems to me that reloading is necessary. That said, can a fellow even get what’s needed to reload these days?

My neighbor bought 3 boxes of 6.5CM (140 gr, I think) prior to this deer season. He’s used up about 2 boxes. At my suggestion, he’s got all the brass, and I have the dies and press. He’ll need to get bullets, powder, and primers. And I can share from my stock if that becomes the only option.

I have a 100 yard range, where I’ll punch paper when the mood strikes me. He’s welcome to use the range, but has no extra ammo to practice with, so I drag out the 223 for him to use. He needs to reload, eventually.

Well, I read through all this, to catch up, and I've got a couple comments, which don't apply to most people...:rolleyes:

To answer the OP question, is reloading too expensive, I have to ask, "compared to what???"

Many people have mentioned the "cost" of their time, in relation to the cost of reloading, and I've been thinking a bit about that.

What is the "cost" of your time? Or, as more commonly phrased, what is your time worth??

After some reflection, I think its zero. Unless you're retired, or in some other situation where you don't have to work to get money, then your time isn't worth squat. Your work is. If your time was worth money, then you're losing money when you eat, sleep go to the bathroom, spend time with your spouse, or spend time looking for a spouse, and nearly every other thing we do in our lives.

Count your beans any way you want, I'll do mine my way, and my way isn't fixated on the $ value as much as the practical value.

I began reloading in the early 70s, and what I learned early on was that I didn't "save" money, what I got was being able to shoot 2 or 3 times more for the same amount of cash outlay.

Also, I got ammunition that NO ONE ELSE in the world had. Ammo that was tailored to MY guns and MY needs. And, I discovered that, for me, it wasn't a chore, it was something I liked doing.

Over the past half century I've made it a point to ALWAYS get reloading dies for every reloadable cartridge I had a gun for. (also got some I didn't have a gun for at the time, ;) cause, you know, someday I might, and they keep..)

I'm set up to reload for over 30 different rifle and handgun cartridges. Some of them are things for which no commercially produced ammo exists. Have I "broken even" on the cost of my tools? don't know, don't care, why does that matter??

Anytime any one asks an "is it worth it" question, the answer is completely relative to the person asking it, their individual situation and priorities determine that, for them, not my, or anyone else's opinion.

Will you save money reloading?? I didn't. But what I did get was a LOT more shooting experience, which made me a better shot, and I enjoy it. isn't that the real point??

so it's a training expense. That's a good way to look at it.

I long ago lost interest in keeping track of the financial aspects (not counting the current shortage-related prices). I handload to get the ammo I want to shoot rather than have a manufacturer decide that for me. Even though strict accounting practice would have me include the equipment amortization cost and the future opportunity costs in each handloaded round, my way of justifying the expense has always been centered around having custom ammunition that shoots better than ammo I can buy off the shelf. Besides, if handloading wasn't my hobby, something else that would probably cost me more would be, so handloading saves me that alternate hobby expense. We scuba-dived for a decade and I can't begin to assess the cost of each minute spent underwater. Regulators and BCDs and wet suits and masks and flippers and dive computers and training and dive boat fees and air travel to get to warm blue waters. A lot of grown-up hobbies are not particularly economical.

That’s well said by 44 AMP. And specific ammo options were touched on. Till I got a 223, which I never intended to buy, but got hooked on loading for Dad, one bullet type and weight was fine for each rifle. But with the 223, the bullet options seem endless. I can set up to load and use 40, 50, 52, 53, 55, 60, 63, 64, 65, and 69 gr bullets. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. I haven’t bought or shot a factory round in maybe 40 years. It hasn’t been about the cost in decades. I just like reloading.

And another thing…with my reloads, I have no concerns about where the bullet is going when I’m hunting. They go where the crosshairs are placed. Every time. No worries about buying a new box of 20 rounds and hoping they are “on”, and burning 5 rounds to find out.

Last edited:
I was born before the start of WW2. It was probably a few years after the end when I started having an interest in guns and shooting and was fortunate enough to be mentored by a few old guys in my neighborhood. They answered my questions, taught me to cast bullets and what went along to making them work.In 1954 for my 16th birthday those old guys gave me loading tools. a Lyman 310 toong tool and several sets of dies. A casing pot nd a mold was part of the package. They walked me through the process and I made my first 30-30 and 30-06 ammo running cast bullets and Unique powder. I couldn't wait to go to the range and try my loads.
That was a long time ago and back then I really think one did save money. I've picked up a lot of reloading stuff, presses, dies, more molds (99 at last count) you name it and I probably have it. Most of it probably amortized over the years but if not? Who cares. It's been a good ride.'BUT! The one thing I learn and it was made evident during these shortages these past few years, if you have the tools, supplies and some time you can still shoot. That was made evident by those old guys that mentored me way back when. During WW2, nothing was available. It all went toward the war effort. Some .22 LR was available to farmers to protect their crops and ranchers could get 30-30 ammo for use against predators but my understanding was that was about it. My mentors were able to keep on shooting , at least on a somewhat limited basis because the cast bullets and were reloaders. In 1949, I went on my very first deer hunt. My Great grandfather's old 30-30 was what I used. My dad had some WW2 30-06 which he gave to one of the guys there at the hunt. He said he was going to pull the bullets and convert the brass to .270 Win.for his rifle. As late as 1949 ammo was still a bit on the scarce side.
Did I save money? Maybe in the beginning but that doesn't matter. I could shoot during the shortages when others could not. Even if nothing were available I probably could have enough to shoot for two or three years by sticking to cast bullet loads. To me that spells freedom.
Paul B.

After we converted over to wartime production, (beginning in 42) the only "civilian" calibers produced were .22lr .30-30, and 12ga. And those also had military use. Even the .30-30!

The guys guarding our forests (west coast, primarily) were issued .30-30s. They were available, didn't take away from the war effort and wood was, after all, a valuable natural resource.

As to the options for .223, for me, it has the least options of my CF .22s.
Got rid of my last AR decades ago, (kept my mini-14 :D), so no modern AR with the fast twist for the heavy bullets. No point to them, for me. I've got .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .223 and .22-250 so I've got all the .22 options I need, without going over 55gr (have some 63gr semi spitzers, don't use them..) When I want a heavier bullet I go to a larger caliber. I have .24. .25, 26,.30, .32, .35,.37, and .45 caliber rifles in various cartridges, so I've got those pretty well covered, too. Reload for all of them. Get what I WANT and what I can use, and not what the ridiculously expensive factory wants to sell me.

For my Mini-14 I basically stick to the 55gr stuff, for me, that rifle is the "emergency use bullet spitter" (because its very dependable) my hunting is done with the other .22s I own, bolt guns and single shots.

I spent a couple decades going to gun shows and buying more components than I used, whenever I could, so I have a pretty good inventory and am not overy concerned with current shortages, or prices. I will admit that I don't shoot much for just fun lately and so I'm not hosting blasting parties with milsurp ammo anymore, I simply can't replace that stuff for any reasonable cost. So, I'm sitting on a bit , but it keeps well...:D

It probably depends where you are on the time continuum.

Breaking in now,as a new reloader? Thats a tough one. But I don't know that its easy shooting factory loads.

I started reloading in the 1960's. I'll spare you a rundown of obsolete prices.

Stories repeat themselves and this is not my first rodeo. I have observed the cycles of politics and prices.

I loathe the hoarders and resellers,the scalpers, the black marketers who create and exploit shortages to the detriment of us all.
I wish every plague and pestilence upon them.

Develop the ability to recognize the time to say "These ARE the good old days."

On these pages of TFL, maybe three years ago,folks in the gun biz were bemoaning the "Trump Slump" ......meaning steady state,non panic buying and stable prices.
Sure,the Mom and Pop LGS was having trouble competing with the Big Box, etc,but that,unfortunately,is just Life in America.

The 22 LR crisis triggered me. I always have believed in stocking enough brass to burn out the barrel of most of my rifles. Or at least a 500 lot.

A large lot of uniform virgin brass makes record keeping and quality much easier. And a 5 gal bucket of once fired 5,56 for about $130 delivered was "These are the good old days" .

I do not intend to make this political,. I can identify a relevant time period as "Trump era"

Trump era 5000 lots of primers were under $150 and 8lb jugs of powder were under $125 . Hornady was selling boxes of 600 75 gr JHP bullets for just over $100.
Its only been two or three years since we were in "The good old days"

I'm 69 yrs old. I have presses,dies,molds,luber sizer.scales,measures,trimmers ,priming tools...measuring tools...considerable investment over a lifetime. But always what I could afford.
My point. I don't have to make capital expenditures. I have the tools.
I scored wheelweights when tire shops would still part with a 5 gal bucket .

Folks gave me lead pipe,sheet,etc. I have my bullet makins. I even have a Monster old grey Lyman press that will accept Corbin swaging dies.

Long,long ago I bought primers 100 pack at a time. But along the way.when I noticed I was down to a couple of thousand,of a given size,I ordered more.

Sure,I could use some more 30-06 brass, H4831sc, and H-110,but what I have will last at least till 2024.

Most of my shooting needs are covered for this lifetime.

Yes, reloading makes economic sense for me. Mostly,it costs nothing but my time because I won't need to replace it.

We live in interesting times. I like to think they will normalize.

Prices may never return to what they were 3 years ago. The same might be said of gasoline,bacon,housing,and several other things.

But a time will return when competition between sellers will overcome the desperation and panic of buyers. We will have entered a new "pretty good old days"
A wise person would project a forecast of needs for at least five years.

Have a buffer, Reserve it,then buy as you go.

Thats not much help for the newbies. Y'all could build a flintlock. Thats fun shooting,too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Along the lines of post #126:

These days,with energy prices,a guy might get a woodstove. If nothing else,for backup. Of course,then you need a chainsaw, or two. Saw files. Goggles Gloves. A wood trailer and a one ton 4WD pickup. A splitter.

A woodshed...A slab and a 24 by 40 metal building ought to do.

See,at some point its more than the heat bill. It gives a guy a pursuit. Something to think about and do. Some guys like to get a permit,go to the national forest,and cut wood.

Its sort of astounding how far many of the USA shooters and loaders have evolved.

Was a time a well equipt loader had a single station press,a manual,dies,in the press priming,a scale,a dipper,and a lube pad. Calipers were a gem.

And we mostly found our way from a few magazine articles,our manual,and maybe a friend. But we were mostly on our own. Recycling our factory load brass for 40 or 60 rounds to sight in and go hunting.

Now we have forums,ballistic software,chronographs,youtube, web connect to hogdon or Hornady...Midway,Grafs,Brownells,Natchez,Powder valley.

Long range shooting and 0.5 MOA.

All that grew from somewhere,

Probably from the seed of folks wanting to save a bit on ammo.
Add to that the great annoyance of going to the LGS to buy ammo.

"We have the Remington 180 grs and Federal 165s ."

"OK,I'll take 2 boxes of the Remington 180s."

Go to the range .Me and the Olde Weaver K-4 chased the groups around the target some getting the sight in "just right" and practicing a bit.

Go back to the LGS to get another box for the hunt.

No,we sold out of them Remington 180s. I can sell you Winchester 150s.

Good reason to handload. MY load is always in stock in my ammo locker.

Last edited:
"After we converted over to wartime production, (beginning in 42) the only "civilian" calibers produced were .22lr .30-30, and 12ga. And those also had military use. Even the .30-30! "

Also .38 Special and .38 S&W. Both of those also had military applications, but both, and .38 Special especially, were needed on the home front for police and for the huge increase in armed guards at plants producing wartime material.

yes, entirely right, I left those out, was thinking in long arm terms when I posted. Interestingly enough, I know of some defense plant security guards that got .38 S&Ws not .38 specials.

Probably a matter of what was available in the supply chain at the time of the request. A lot of things, (especially aircraft) that we had built, (or were building) and had not yet delivered for British contracts got taken for use by the US govt, due to immediate need in the early days of the war.

The equipment that was "diverted" to US use was, generally made up later, We weren't trying to cheat our allies, wartime priorities just made them wait a bit longer for some things. In some cases this led to the cancellation of contracts, and placement of new ones, as we began producing newer, upgraded models and types (primarily aircraft) with our expanding production capacity.

At 6:00 AM on a nice summer morning I have friends and neighbors loading golf clubs and gear in their trunk for a day on the golf course. It makes them happy and they enjoy it. I don't play golf, never had the interest. On that same summer morning I am loading rifles in the truck, ammunition and my range gear. It makes me happy.

I began my love of shooting at age 8 and today at 71 it continues. It's something I enjoy and I figure I am fortunate enough to enjoy it. I like rolling my own ammunition. Does it save money? Beats me but I seem to shoot more. At my age I am not going to start depriving myself of the things which make me happy and things I enjoy. Life is short so enjoy it while we can. I can't buy 22 LR at the local hardware store for 50 cents a box anymore but I don't plan on stopping 22 LR ammunition.

Ron

At 6:00 AM on a nice summer morning I have friends and neighbors loading golf clubs and gear in their trunk for a day on the golf course. It makes them happy and they enjoy it. I don't play golf, never had the interest. On that same summer morning I am loading rifles in the truck, ammunition and my range gear. It makes me happy.
I've always considered the sport of shooting as high-speed golf.

44Amp mentions:
Many people have mentioned the "cost" of their time, in relation to the cost of reloading, and I've been thinking a bit about that.

What is the "cost" of your time? Or, as more commonly phrased, what is your time worth??

After some reflection, I think its zero. Unless you're retired, or in some other situation where you don't have to work to get money, then your time isn't worth squat. Your work is. If your time was worth money, then you're losing money when you eat, sleep go to the bathroom, spend time with your spouse, or spend time looking for a spouse, and nearly every other thing we do in our lives.

I share his views. I started reloading in '72 after returning from an overseas tour. I just developed an interest in very accurate ammunition. Reloading is I guess like shooting for me, it's a hobby or simply something I enjoy doing. My time for shooting like my time now being retired is an act of leisure and I can't put a time is money on leisure activities.

Ron

Back