Is judo really any good?

Ukemi

True, BTF,

Most people won't know to absorb the impact of a fall with their arms & keep their chins tucked to avoid bopping their heads on the ground. Still, there's a lot of difference between getting the wind knocked out of you & breaking your neck!

Even then, back when I did judo many many years ago, I could get people to bounce on the mats and then lay there in pain for a bit; People trained how to fall. You hit the throw correctly and there is enough power behind most all of them that they will not appreciate hitting the ground. Hell, do you like how it feels when you trip just walking around? Now put force behind it.

As an example, not to make this a Judo vs BJJ thing, it might of been mentoined before about the Judo vs BJJ match that the one BJJ choke hold came out of (named after the judo guy who beat the BJJ guy with it). The general consensus of the match was that if the mats were not as soft as they were (they were extra soft, non-regulation as i remember) the Gracie would not of stayed concious long enough for him to have been beaten. The falling from the throws would have knocked him out. And if the gracies aren't trained to take a fall (as opposed to a dive) then I'm not sure who would be.

That was a joke, calm down... the dive i mean :p

Judo, or any of the hand to hand combat training scenarios can be effective against unarmed perps. I prefer that old combat training.......S&W

Judo or Jujitsu can be very effective. The throws are great, but the real fight stoppers are the joint breaking techniques and chokes. Learning how to fall without hurting yourself is a bonus too. They call Judo the 'gentle way', but if you don't know how to fall there is nothing gentle about being slammed to the ground. The more vicious techniques were taken out of Judo for competition, like the neck breaks and throws that break joints at the same time. Competition typically isn't about maiming your opponent.

But the senior students and the sensei at the dojo I went to were also into firearms. They always said if someone pulls a gun on you forget jujitsu and shoot em first or duck and run. :D

My major concern with grapling arts is you can only fight one person at a time. If the BG has a few buddies with him, you had better pull out your gun. Martial arts that concentrate on strikes have the edge here as a devestating strike will drop your BG and make his buddies seriously reconsider going hand to hand. On the flip side, the BG's buddies seeing your proficiency at martial arts may choose to escalate to firearms and then everyone is in trouble.

The best defense period is RUN, DON'T WALK, at the first hint of trouble. This is if the trouble is avoidable of course and not in your own home or business. I'm not advocating cowardice, but not getting into situations in the first place is usually the most appealing alternative.

On another note, I've heard Krav Magra is pretty vicious. The are the antithesis of "sport" partial arts and have refined all of the wasted motion and energy out of their art.

Another art that is particularly nasty is a form of Kung Fu with a name I can't remember. The response to a straight punch is to block with the arm while simultaneously kicking for the elbow of the attacker's punching arm, while simulatenously conducting an open handed strike to shove the guy's nose up his brain, and then bringing the kicking foot (after breaking the guys elbow) down on the side of the knee to criple the guy for life unless he is already dead from his nose being shoved up his brain. How is that for nasty??? Couldn't they just shoot me in the head instead of making me go through that? :eek:

Your concern about the grappling arts is well-founded.

However-
open handed strike to shove the guy's nose up his brain
strikes to the face *can* be lethal, but the "nose into brain" thing is myth.

John

NO, no it's not a myth, in fact I teach that technique in my school!! I teach that technique along with the "ripping the guys heart out of his body and show it to him before he dies" technique, yeah, its a long name but..*whew* you should see what a mess it makes when we are training for it! My favorite is the "Quivering Palm" strike, which will kill your foe without even really touching him, but since I don't want to go to prison, I usually just give my attackers the "Death Touch", which will cause the recipient to die suddenly a few days later...and I am looooong gone!! We train these techniques, between floating on air or balancing on thin branches of trees while fighting with swords. My top students are given the "pebble in the palm" thingy...only after they have caught a bullet in their teeth.

I have trained in Kung Fu, Judo, Brazilian JuJitsu, American Kickboxing, and Thai Boxing. There is no martial art that you can train that will make you a worse fighter (provided you have proper instruction). The way that Tae Kwon Do is taught in the states nowadays is the only thing I would consider an exception to that rule - people are taught to punch from the hip and to do far too complicated kicks that leave their balance (poorly trained) and distance at risk.

Long story short - learn something and become proficient at it and keep it as another tool.

I have competed in Brazilian JuJitsu (Master Relson Gracie) and full contact matches in the past. One of the best moves you can learn is in another style that complements your favorite.

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say Thai Boxing with some knowledge in Brazilian JuJitsu. In a real-world confrontation, one of two things is going to happen:

1) You'll end up on the ground. This is dangerous if your opponent knows how to grapple. With just a few weeks of training you can DOMINATE someone of much larger size on the ground. Since I am relatively small, this is where I take all fights - I can control the speed, intensity, and damage in the fight to my advantage. Perfect case is not beating some drunk idiot within an inch of his life, but holding his face to the floor until authorities show up.

2) You'll stand up and square off. A Thai boxer is going to work to get knees and elbows in, the most effective weapons on the human body for striking. I have been beaten up by Thai boxers and it hurts, a lot.

That being said, I have been thrown on my ass by Judo instructors even when I'm on top of my game. I have been kicked in the face by Kung Fu masters that were quicker and had better technique. It's a matter of finding a style that YOU LIKE and YOU CAN LEARN, PRACTICE, and PERFORM with great skill and YOU ENJOY IT.

Right now I am studying to master...The Force!!! Can't wait to be able to move huge objects (like X-wing fighters) and stuff.

My major concern with grapling arts is you can only fight one person at a time. If the BG has a few buddies with him, you had better pull out your gun. Martial arts that concentrate on strikes have the edge here as a devestating strike will drop your BG and make his buddies seriously reconsider going hand to hand.
The amount of time it takes to punch an opponent can be just as well spent breaking their arm. A grappling style can handle mutliple opponents fine, go watch some Akido exhibitions if you need proof. However, you may need to fight more defensively against multiple opponents then you would normally (keep one between you and them type of thing)

Back