Is it justified to shoot someone who is throwing rocks at you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think just up and shooting someone who's flinging rocks is a bit unreasonable. Especially when you shoot them in the back.

I have no problem with showing a gun and demanding that the rock-throwing cease. If that doesn't happen, and there's no clear way to quickly get to safety, then you'd be justified in opening fire.

Rules of Engagement

Here's from a 2008 news article:

"A U.S. Border Patrol agent was injured after being struck in the head with a large rock while attempting to apprehend illegal immigrants near Douglas on Sunday.

"At about 8:45 p.m., the agent observed five individuals cross illegally into the United States near the international border fence and Bonita Avenue, according to a news release issued by the Border Patrol on Monday.

“As the agent attempted to arrest this group, a shower of rocks was thrown over the fence from Mexico at the agent. The agent was struck in the head with one of these rocks and immediately took cover to avoid further injury. The illegal immigrants were able to abscond back to Mexico,” the release stated."

This has obviously happened before (probably many times) without the use of deadly force as a response. The BP has to have trained its agents in dealing with these situations and have strict rules of engagement.

If the agent followed the rules, then he's doing his job. If not, then he has to deal with the consequences.

And as for rocks as deadly force, try some Google searches. I couldn't find any instance of someone being killed by a thrown rock (excluding dropping rocks off of overpasses onto cars). You may feel that the agent in 2008 would have been justified in shooting the rock throwers to defend himself, but he withdrew. I would assume that's part of their ROE.

I oftentimes post these scenarios that have happened in real life for serious quality discussion. I have learned a lot from this forum from discussing these hot button issues and its changed my philosophy to a more responsible approach.

Someone throwing rocks at another individual and the decision to draw a pistol is a serious discussion issue. It does happen and our discussion here could save a life one day. Oftentimes when I post these threads, I have my own opinions, but through discussion my opinion sometimes changes.

On every hot button topic I post there are always a few guys who decide to thread-jack then it gets closed by a moderator. I would sincerely appreciate it if you could not thread-jack my posts because when something like this gets closed then we can't really discuss the situation anymore. Therefore, we can't think of a course of action when and if it does happen to us one day.

So please be kind and before you post in my hot button threads ask yourself if you are posting something of value or putting on the mask and thread-jacking.

Im not naming any names or pointing fingers, you guys who get the threads closed know who you are;)

This is gone way off track from a tactics issue. Some of you are on thin ice when you start proposing megaviolence in a jocular fashion.

T and T is supposed to be professional and literate regarding those issues.

A hint! :rolleyes:

Closed

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back