Is a .22 lr quality for animal attack defense?

I know of a hunting trip when i shot a feral boar hog I'n the shoulder with a 30-06 and when i went I'n to retrieve him I'n thick cover he jumped on me and was eating my a-" up when i shot him a second time I'n the face at point blank to end him. So yes, you go ahead and use a 22. If that's all i had i would too but I'n a scenario with a charging animal give me a 357 or a 40 cal

Listen, Ive heard of certain neighbors who have bad dogs and for some reason these neighbors dont ever seem to keep their dogs put up in their own yards. (bad neighbors) And then you have to worry about walking up and down your own road or your children playing outside in their own yard. So for those bad neighbors, dont ask them about their dogs and if youre worried about shooting their dogs if they are threatning you but youre worried about being prosecuted (Iwould shoot them in a heartbeat and have, without being prosecuted. The Sheriff told me that even if the put a toenail in my yard to drop them). Anyway, Ive always heard that a can of dogfood and go to the store and get gopher bait (grainules) put a handful in dogfood. mix with a stick drive by at night and chunk can out and dogs love it. In 5 minutes problem solved and then some of these people on here who say youre bad and dont have to shoot a dog can no longer say that because you didnt shoot a dog. Atleast I heard the dogfood works in 5 minutes. Give or take a minute!

Ive always heard that a can of dogfood and go to the store and get gopher bait (grainules) put a handful in dogfood. mix with a stick drive by at night and chunk can out and dogs love it.

More offensive than defensive. Pun intended.

Taking out an unfriendly animal on your own property is one thing, but this...ya know, I don't even know where to start, so lets just go ahead and let previous statement say it all...

Edit to maintain firearms relation: .22s fine for most nuisance applications

Last edited:
I don't think I'd want to rely on a .22 for any kind of defense. I've never had a reliability issue from a .22 pistol... but .22 ammo is another story. Been way too many times that I pulled the trigger and just got a click... dud rounds.

Interesting question...

About 3 years ago two of my (female) friends were out for an afternoon walk. Towards the end of their walk they were approached by a Pitbull. The dog attacked one of the females and had her pinned on the ground.

Luckily the other friend happens to be a competitive target shooter and they were just outside of her home. She immediately ran inside ad grabbed her pistol, a .22lr semi-auto. Upon returning, the attack was turning pretty vicious. The pit had ahold of a leg and was intent on keeping it.

At nearly point blank range, the friend with the gun fired 6 shots to the head of the pitbull. The first 5 shots didn't even phase the dog as it continued to attack. I remember her mentioning that she didn't think the rounds were penetrating the skull at all.

The 6th shot dropped the dog for good, but not before it did some significant damage to the girls leg and thigh area.

A few things I took from this situation... always carry your gun! They were lucky to be so close to home. A .22lr may well drop a good sized animal, but it also may not. Those "odds" are not good enough for me. There are plenty of good centerfire pistols that are small enough to carry ANYWHERE.

I'm not taking my chances with a .22 for SD/HD firearm. I'll save my .22lr's for plinking and squirrels ;)

farmerboy...

You're killing "every" animal that eats your poisoned bait. What's the sense in that? IMHO, it's just senseless killing and downright lazy.

I wouldn't use a .22LR unless I didn't have a better choice, e.g. 9mm or .45 ACP, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so given the "proper" circumstances.

Mike you should try when you're reading to understand what you read. I personally said I'd rather shoot a bad dog myself! And i said I heard that a can of laced dogwood also works wonders on bad dogs. Either way if you're a responsible dog owner you shouldn't have to worry bout this anyhow, right? And if you live down the road from me and you have mean dogs and can't keep or fail to keep em I'n your own yard and one night they end up dead and there's a empty dogwood can I'n your ditch then it's probably not me! But if my kids or myself is walking down the road and your mean dogs come out of your yard I'n a threatening manner then I'll shoot them while you watch!

Not that anyone here said it was, but the .22lr cartridge isn't a toy or a kid's gun. It is not a 1st tier self defense weapon, but it can certainly kill when needed.

The problem is that it often doesn't kill or stop when needed because during an attack, people have a lot of trouble making the perfect shots necessary to make a kill or stop.

.22s are great guns, and I carry them often, but I've seen enough squirrels require a followup shot that I'd be hesitant to use them for defense, unless recoil or concealment are extreme issues. .22 magnum is better, but centerfire is best. Rimfire will never be 99% reliable in all firearms. I've never had a dud centerfire that wasn't a reload (not mine) or the fault of the firearm.

.22lr for protection?

Sure better than nothing. However, if you must carry a .22 type cartridge, I would definitely make it a .22 magnum carry pistol. Load it with Federal 50 grain hollow points and you should be able to repel most any dog, etc., and probably most humans! :)

I only had about 10 or so fail to fire out of 5,000 22lrs.. I never had one with a CCI, always with cheap ammo. If it's revolver, it really doesn't matter the cylinder moving/firing when you pull the trigger. It's the auto I worry about, you have to rack the slide.

A .22 worked this time....

Back around 2002-2003, there was a wild dog roaming about in the woods on the road where I lived. A group of 5 houses were all on the same side of the street, with woods behind our homes as well as on the other side of the road. Several neighbors and my wife had been telling me that when they're outside, this dog just isn't acting right. Very hostile and aggressive. In one case, this wild dog actually mangled a neighbor's dog. Mauled the dog but good!

As fate would have it, I'm now cutting our grass when I saw the dog that they'd been telling me about. He was in the yard next to ours and he was just giving me the eyes. I went inside and, for some unknown reason that I still can't understand, of all the guns I have, from AK's, M4, assorted shotguns, many .45ACP, .40 and 9mm semis, I for some crazy reason grabbed a bolt action single shot Glenfield Model 10 that I had not shot in at least 2 years. I loaded it with a single .22 from an OLD box that I had. Instead of getting some of my fresher ammo, I just dug for the oldes box. Had one extra round in my hand. And then I went outside.

The dog was right where I last saw him. I started walking towards him in the big open yard that ajoins both properties. After I took maybe 10 steps, the dog flat out charged and I mean to tell you, he looked mad, ears pinned back, and was coming really fast. I dropped down to one knee and was waiting to see how close he could get before I would fire. At that exact moment, the thought came to me....what if the gun doesn't fire? Or what if that ancient .22 doesn't go bang? (I promise, I'm not making any of this up, especially this part.....I started giggling!) I KNEW I had one shot to get the dog or he would be feasting. He was coming full bore, straight at me and I fired at his upper chest-neck area. The gun fired and the dog fell forward and didn't roll at all, he just skidded. The second .22 finished it off.

Nothing like that has ever happened since. But if a similar need arises, like Springfield Armory says, I'll "bring enough gun!"

Such as a rattlesnake, pitbull, coyote? I don't expect it to have the firepower to stop a person, but what about these other animals that might get aggressive?

Absolutely it can stop these animals if: You are a good shot, bullets into the brain will stop most animals regardless of size. That said I wouldnt recommend using a 22 against anything much larger than a dog or rabid zombie deer.

If a pitbull or a coyote was to (for whatever reason) attack you it will be of course a moving attack and not a static target so shooting skill is key.

what about these other animals that might get aggressive?

Of course it will work if the shot placement is correct. The only time I've ever had to use a firearm in self defense was a 22lr against a large dog. It worked very well. The beast went down right then and there.

center of mass

110 + pounds and up of projectile energy is enough to incapacitate most small to medium size animals.

I know that 40 grains sounds like beans, but not for the one standing in front of a lead one going 1100 + FPS!

I wasn't at all suprised by the video outcome of the dog being popped by the officers 9mm or 40S&W. thing wasn't even dealt a fatal shot...n it was screamin like it was being internally scorched.

Deflection would be the biggest robber of the .22lrs energy, so center of mass is the key. With a full size .22lr pistol such as a buckmark or ruger, 10shot mag filled with cci velocitors, and a nice red dot... practice the double taps:)

Last edited:
a 22 for a charging animal? not for me, I saw a friend use one to stop a charge of a pack of dogs & dropped the front one, yes it worked, 1 shot into head 30 or so feet & it dropped dead, but my gun was inside truck & I was 20+ feet away, he had a holster, & mine had kept dropping down my leg, as I didnt have a holster, 20 years or more ago. I was carrying a 357 in those days.

as for the snake shot, I was being annoyed by a mouse, & at roughly 6 feet I put 2 into it, & it only turned, at which point I used a stinger 22 & that was the end of the mouse, the gun was a NAA 22 in LR.

I had to shoot 1 dog with a 40, & it took 6 rounds to head & was still barking, & standing, I walked to truck & came back & put 1, 44 special though its head & that was that.

another dog took 2 rounds of 44 special to the head, & upon the second was trying to bite more aggressively, & was getting meaner by the second, the third dropped it.

Randy

Back