Is a .22 lr quality for animal attack defense?

I know what you're referring to but you have firepower and energy confused. Firepower is the ability to but a lot of lead in the air in a short period of time. Energy is what it takes for one of those bullets to accomplish whatever it is that needs to be accomplished.

My son and I own two Browning .22 seim auto pistols. Both are extremely reliable, easy to use, and have 10 round mags.

No, . . . I would not like to be faced with a charging Pitt bull or coyote, . . . if that was my only weapon choice, . . . but I really do not feel that I would be at any great disadvantage.

I can put 10 rounds out of either of them in a 3 inch circle in a very short time, . . . and 10 rounds of .22 LR hollow points is going to take the edge off their desire to fight in just about every case imaginable.

I have said many other times, too, that I would not feel at all under gunned with either of our Brownings, . . . if some knuckle dragging thug wanted to attack me and I had one of them. He would get 10 rounds of .22 LR hollow point, . . . aimed directly at his nose, . . . and there is no doubt in my mind at all, . . . whatever idea he had about fighting me would evaporate as little lead slugs hammered his head. There is no place on the human face that even a half baked blow does not hurt, . . . much less 10 of them delivered in only a few seconds.

Don't worry about the .22, . . . it can hold it's own.

May God bless,
Dwight

Last edited:
My experience is that the 22 is not very effective against 'yotes. Yes, it's possible to kill them with a 22. But on those that I retrieved that I had shot with a 22 I found several 22 bullets tangled up in fur. On the other hand, I did retrieve them. :D

(That was using a semi auto rifle)

What About a .22 WMR?

I'd trust a .22 WMR far more than a .22 LR against larger dogs and coyotes. Have you considered the Kel-Tec PMR-30? For snakes, I carry a walking stick or garden hoe.

I just watched that video. Very sad. Was it wagging it's tail out of submission at the end or reflex? Some dog owners need to step up to the plate with their training.

Food for thought:

If you are able to carry a 22 of a given size, depending on the gun you may be able to carry a larger caliber without anymore burden than the 22 would have been. That way you'd be covered for a wider variety of situations too.

That is unless you go for something like the NAA guardian (difficult to operate quickly) or one of the Taurus 22's. Or unless recoil on irritated joints is an issue.

Best of luck to you.

- Whoops, commented on the wrong video. I had followed a link to where 2 policemen had to put down a restrained dog with 2 shots, not the one where the dog approached the policeman as linked. It didn't look like the dog was charging since it was moving pretty slowly but I guess those dogs weren't where they were supposed to be!

Last edited:
+1

Sniping a coyote or loose dog trying to invade your chicken coup is one thing, but going against an animal that has had its fight response triggered and an adrenaline dump that goes with it might be a different story.

Yes there are hunters who kill big hogs with a 22LR, but they have the advantage of surprise and picking their target and taking careful aim on unsuspecting prey.

Totally different ballgame when an animal is charging at you. The other thing to keep in mind is the attack may totally take you by surprise. I had a dog charge me once at night and because of the visability I didn't see the dog until he was almost already on top of me. His owner called to him and he broke it off. He actually started his charge about a half block away - I just didn't see him.

You can get taken by surprise from behind or by animals coming out of bushes...

My opinion is you're going to need something to make up for how difficult shot placement is going to be - either a really powerful round or something that shoots multiple projectiles.

Pit Bulls and coyotes have killed people.

Wouldn't want to try and stop a charging dog (in attack mode) with a 22 cal handgun.

Trail gun used to be a S&W 29, but switched that out to a mild mannered S&W 22-4 revolver (45 ACP).

Why take a chance with a 22 when a 45 will do, your life is worth it.

At a minimum...a 38 spl or 9mm.

Grew up using a .22lr and never once felt like it was a toy or "not powerful enough" a large part of that is due to when that is the only thing you have you learn to hunt and base your stratagies around your weapon. Had more than a few encounters with coyots than i care to have had and killed alot of coyots with a 22lr and it dropped them grave yard dead and rarely took more than one shot. Also after the first one goes down the others rarely i mean rarely stick around. They are usualy more scared of you than you are of them. I have also killed a charging german shepard with a ruger mark 2, waited until he was about five yards away and shot two shots back to back at his head, one hit him square between the eyes and the other went into the middle of his shoulder blades...the head shot was a instant kill. I have shot charging wild hogs, snarling coyots, alligators that didnt like me playing on there mudslide at the river ( i was just a kid and didnt know what it was ) loads of snakes and lots of other things with a 22lr.

However i will say this. In my personal opinion a 22 is a great offensive caliber and if you are and only if you are a very good marksmen is it a good defensive caliber. The reason it isnt my first choice of a carry gun is that i think ( which i may be wrong ) is that if i am ever in a position where i need to pull my pistol then i am in a serious "oh crap" situation and may not have time for that perfect shot or i may not have the same steadiness as when facing a charging animal ( i am sure it is different when you are looking down a gun barrel ) to get that perfect shot off. so if all i can manage is a gut shot or something then i want the biggest and most powerful handgun i can get to do the job as best it can. just me though :)

one of the important points to my mind is that in this sort of defensive situation, as well as in hunting, a second shot is not always going to be possible. Imagine if you will, a dog, large or small, coming at you rapidly, and you have maybe a second to decide. you have maybe one more second to draw and get ready to fire. At that point, charging bear, charging dog, cat, so forth, it may already be on top of you. You may have only one shot, and you can count on the fact that after your free shot, the animal will be engaging in high speed evasive maneuvers, hit or miss.

So, if the banger down the street has a really antisocial rottweiler that he has let out, and it's bearing down on you, I suggest that a 22, and the single round that you may be able to get into thethings body, is just not going to do it.

If you're someone who can pop out a 22 pistol and empty a magazine into a moving target in a few seconds, then yes, a .22 is good enough. Otherwise, you need something that is going to disable the thing with a single body shot.

.22lr will do the job

I've got a ruger 22/45 5.5 inch barreled pistol. With Velocitors I'm shooten 40grains at around 1200 fps. 10 rounds and literally no recoil + a red dot for very easy aquisition.

I know a lot would say its just not enough to be sure... but I'd be very happy indeed to hold this type of power in my hands. I'm certain that just one of those slugs crackin against the noggen of a a pit or rott would cast immediate changes in it's intentions, if not killing it.

Yes I'd rather have a .357 mag etc. but the .22lr is no toy or joke.

I don't expect it to have the firepower to stop a person,
Please understand and use your terms correctly.

A .22 has plenty of "firepower", which is defined as number of rounds.

"Power" is altogether different. A .357 Mag or a .45 acp has "power", defined as lb/ft delivered on the target.

To take the definitions to their logical/ludicrous conclusions, a 100-round BB gun has maximum "firepower", while a 105mm Howitzer with one shell has maximum "power".

No matter how you look at it, two entirely different things. I would not use a .22 to shoot anything larger than a paper target, or a squirrel.

"Words mean stuff."

I would say a .22 would be a tie with a sharp stick.

It would work if you hit the pit bull straight on in the middle of the skull otherwise it would glance off where as a 45 would glance off too if not in direct line with skull but it would hit MUCH harder giving you a chance for a second shot.

Agree with Mike1234 ... my issue with .22lr is the number of failures I've encountered with several handguns, including from Smith and Ruger ... I carry an NAA Pug on dog walks for animal defense; have never had a .22mag fail to fire ... ammo is more expensive than .22lr, but far less costly than 9mm, so you can practice a lot ... and there are .22mag shot cartridges available, I've never used one ...

There are a lot of cases where a .22lr is as good as anything else but can't think of any time it's better. Personally, I think all the worry about critter attacks is so over blown it's not even funny. And that's coming from a guy that had to fight off 3 heelers at the same time with nothing but my feet and hands. Ten rounds of .22lr would of been nice, 6 from my .32H&R or .357 just as good or maybe even better. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about critters and a .22 is a fine woods bummin gun for that little extra when needed/wanted.

LK

I shot a rabid coyote in my front yard. Hit three times with a 22 lr. It ran off after I shot it. Game and fish recovered it and had it tested.

In Ar while fishing the Ouachita River and the associated swamps and Ox bow lakes we had a problem with cottonmouths dropping into the boat. The solution was a 45LC/410 single shot derringer. The 410 would kill the snake but not put a hole in the boat.

I still carry the derringer for snakes when working my property. I also carry slug loads, and a special reload loaded with 3 100 grain 30 cal plinkers per round.

There is the ideal and there is the real world
The best gun for any specific job is....wells, the BEST the closer you get to that "ideal" the better for that job.
HOWEVER>>> any gun is better than no gun for any threat. I would not recommend going out and buying a 22 LR for defense against dogs, but I would not tell you it's worthless either.
If I KNEW I was going to have to defend myself or another person against a dog I'd be caring a 12 gauge autoloader loaded with #4 Buck Shot.
But we don't usually KNOW when we will need a gun.
I live in Wyoming near places where bad bears are not at all uncommon. I carry a 45 auto or a 357 ever day, but if I leave the ranch and the area, and I go up in the mountains where the bears live I switch to my 454 Casull. If I were to have my 454 in a town and got attacked by a pit bull I am sure I would use it, but I would have to be concerned with the fact that the 370 grain LBT bullet exits moose and Bison so it IS going to exit a Pit Bull. My 357 would be a better weapon, but I'd use what I had at the time. If I had a 22, I'd use that. If I had the 44 mag, I'd use that. If I could get to my 270 I'd use that

My point is that any gun is better then no gun. If you have one, use it until you get something better.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have a links to articles where any animal except a bear or moose continued to severly maul or kill a person in N.A. after being shot with any gun? After decades of reading hunting magazines, shooting magazines, watching the news and the internet I've never heard of such a case.

LK

Back