Iowa CCW delays

Their refusal to issue after 30 days still rankles. It was improper at best. They're still doing it, too, but IFC and NRA are working on it.

LOL they gonna volunteer their time and do these for the county? After the initial flood, things will settle down and be back to normal again. :) I see they are offering classes in CB twice a week. Thats a lot of permit appliers.

Guns were flying off the tables at the gun show. I saw more plastic permits and handguns go out the door than ever. Lots of them little plastic pink things in 380 and 9mm... the glock guy is probably still filling out forms he was so very busy.

In other words sir, you aint the only one :) took 6 weeks for mine. as many others before me.

Shall-issue means shall-issue. It doesn't mean "when we get around to it." The law allows 30 days for action, otherwise issuance is automatic. They don't have a choice.

Shall-issue means shall-issue. It doesn't mean "when we get around to it." The law allows 30 days for action, otherwise issuance is automatic. They don't have a choice.

I will mention this next time I am down there :) it is a money thing, you work and get paid right? only so many workers means work isnt done as fast as it should be done this is true? Here is a bit of info, feds used to get about 1.5 million calls for gun check in a year, last 2 years it is like 1 million a month.

You are not alone. We can offer to pay more taxes to offset this or let it go and soon it will taper off and get back to a more normal state of being.

When it comes to cops, I smile and say yes sir, no sir, try to not upset them, never know when you will need one.

Sooo did you get that gun yet? pics?

IFC and NRA are on it. I'll let them sort it out.

The 1911 I was eyeing sold while I was waiting, so I've been scouring the state for a SA Mil-Spec 1911 and/or a matte stainless CZ 75. Finally found the 1911...in Cedar Rapids. But I have to be over that way in a couple days anyway so they're holding it for me.

I know this is about a month old but it seems other sheriffs in Iowa are still complaining about the shall-issue status of Iowa. I thought some of my fellow Iowans would be able to throw some more perspective from their respective counties as well.

I will warn you this article is normal for the horrible reporting of the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20110601/NEWS01/110601006/Sheriff-20-percent-2011-gun-permits-go-those-criminal-records?odyssey=mod|mostview

the comments section is also quite amusing.

Uh..............golly, there seems to be something wrong with my map!

Are you sure? LOL we will be kept out of other states due to the flooding. Many of us live in Iowa work in Nebr and may be unable to get to work mionday if the rivers get high enuff to close the bridges.

Down at the sherriffs office, folks keep pouring in wanting a permit to carry weapons, more than they can check out in a timley manner. I mentioned it and was told the county needs more money to hire more people to do more work which isnt gonna happen cause they are under staffed and under financed as it is. Guess what? Most counties are the same shape. Funny how folks dont want to pay them taxzes that pay them police workers...

Now go to thew sherriffs dept and get up in their faces and demand your rights!! LOL, let me know so I can be there to film it, you will be qrrested for disturbing the peace :) and they will know you and do you really want them to "know you"?

Give em a chance, it will be checked out, it will be done and given to you soon. Why make waves with the ones sworn to serve and protect you?

Them Pott Co deputies are good guys, the sherriff is also a good guy. It is all about money, not keeping you from a permit.

Mine took 6.5 weeks, I was told up front it would be al least 6 weeks. I turned mine in mid jan, right after the new law went into effect.

Back