interpreting Box O' Truth: the "best" home-defense round

Pistol grips? No. Unsighted fire? No.

The main advantage I see to a long-gun, any long gun, for home defense is that fact that it's way easier to make hits under stress. You're getting the butt, cheek, left and right hand helping you index.

If I know I'm going into an armed confrontation a pistol isn't on my to-do list.

I may be young and dumb, but let me get this right. A "frangible rifle round may tumble, yaw and fragment." A believe in my experience a frangible round fragments into many, many small pieces. I've shot P-dogs with frangible .223 rounds and it doesn't even exit, it just explodes. If there is tumbling and fragmenting during and after penetration it is not a frangible round. Just because a fmj fragments doesn't make it a frangible round. Unless I'm missing something here.

Why does the shotgun always have to have buckshot loaded in it to be considered a home protection round. I keep #8 loaded in my home defense SG. It's not going to over penetrate as compared to buckshot, fmj's or jhp's and I don't believe anybody is going to get up after being hit with #8 shot at 7yds or even 10.

There was a school principal in NC that had most of his lower face and a finger blown off by a shotgun at eight feet. He drove over 15 miles to get help.

Don't expect any kind of shot that doesn't destroy the central nervous system to stop a person quickly.

Back