Internally lube 1911 mags ?

Just cleaning them should do the trick. Making sure they're clear of any debris such as lint, dirt, dust, etc.

I'd clean it with solvent and make sure it's bone dry.

Had a similar problem recently. I have a glock 30s and wanted a couple extra mags, so I ordered 2 Glock magazines from Midway. Last time at the range I was using the new mags and one of them continuously failed to hold the slide open after the last round was fired.

This is a new mag so the spring should not be worn, it’s possible it could be dirty coming from the factory so maybe my next step should be to take it apart and clean it.

I've got 10 of these coming tomorrow. They have a black nickel finish inside and out, and they're slicker than snot. If you buy 10 or more they are just $6.99 each. Sarco make these in house with their own tooling. They feed well, and lock the slide back on the last shot in all of my 1911's. Springfield, Colt, Rock Island, Kimber, and Ruger.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-45-black-nickel-finish-magazine/
Your link goes to a 404 page not found.

They are currently out of stock. They will get more in. They sell a lot of them. Mine came today. All are beautifully finished.

I must be the luckiest person in the world regarding 1911 Mags. In my last week in the army in 1969, I 'obtained' a dozen new mags in plastic wrappers that had been made by Checkmate (IMI291). In my mag drawer I also have a couple dozen more mags ranging from KKK phillipine mags to Wilson 48s. I have had one mag failure in 50 years of range bubba.

If you can find the GI checkmates, they are really good mag but 7 rounders. The cage code on the floorplate is IMI 291. Unless you are really good at IDing GI mags, stay away from them except for the Checkmates. I would not buy any Shooting Star 8 rounders.

Cleaning and lubing can never hurt.

Lubrication of a magazine is no different than lubricating anything else. What kind, and how much all depends on the environment it is going to be used in.

If the gun is going to be used at the range for a few hours, then taken home and cleaned, more lubrication can be used.

If it's going to be used in very wet and humid conditions, then perhaps even more is required. Along with using a light grease that won't drip or rub off.

If it is going to be exposed to dust and dirt for long periods of time, then grease or heavy oil will cause problems, because it will attract more dirt and create stoppages.

99% of this stuff is just common sense. You wouldn't put Armor All on your tires before you went on dirt trails with your Jeep. Or use straight 50 Wt. in your trucks crankcase in January in Fairbanks, Alaska.

A gun or magazine is no different. It requires lubrication that is tailored to the conditions it will be exposed to. Look at the environment your weapon is going to be exposed to, then select the proper lubricant, and go from there. This isn't a Moon shot, or a, "one size fits all", kind of deal.

bill460 said:
Lubrication of a magazine is no different than lubricating anything else.
I respectfully disagree.

What kind, and how much all depends on the environment it is going to be used in.
True.

If the gun is going to be used at the range for a few hours, then taken home and cleaned, more lubrication can be used.

If it's going to be used in very wet and humid conditions, then perhaps even more is required. Along with using a light grease that won't drip or rub off.
Wet lubricants (oil) or grease of any kind have no place in a magazine. Not ever.

https://www.drislide.com/collections/weapons-lubricant-1

Magazine springs should be kept clean and lightly oiled to prevent rust.
A light coating of WD 40-wiped clean is great for magazine internals.
If you drop your magazines in dirt or sand, your mileage may vary.

Magazine springs should be kept clean and lightly oiled to prevent rust. A light coating of WD 40-wiped clean is great for magazine internals. If you drop your magazines in dirt or sand, your mileage may vary.

Agree. I'm just not getting why anyone, other than perhaps all the run and gun guys who compete, would allow their magazines to drop into the dirt? To achieve what purpose? Some kind of B.S. "fast reload"? They've been watching too much TV. Or else think they're Rob Leatham.

Forget the lube attracting dirt. All that has to happen is for it to drop on to a hard surface, and land on the feed lips, and bend them slightly, and your nice expensive magazine is toast. I've seen it happen. I have several Wilson Combat Magazines for my various 1911's. They're not cheap.

I would NEVER allow them to drop on to the ground while shooting at the range. Or for that matter, slam them into the gun, "Steve McQueen style". I take care inserting and removing them.

I'm much the same with my other firearms. I was taught to handle them carefully. Today I see guns treated so poorly, it's no wonder why gunsmiths are so busy and backed up.

I see it on ranges all the time. Guys slamming cylinder cranes shut on nice revolvers. Closing O/U shotguns so hard on the Trap and Sporting Clays ranges, you can hear the barrels twang. AR-15's that look as if they were dragged to the range behind their cars..... And yes, guys dropping magazines on the ground, getting them full of dust and dirt in the process.

Then wondering why their gun won't feed or fire. Right away they start babbling on about how, "It's a POS!", ect.

I have magazines for my pistols that are well over 50 years old, and look like the day I first took them out of the gun when I got it home. It's not hard to do. Anymore than it is to get high mileage, along with years of service out of a car or truck. You just have to take care of them, and not neglect and beat the crap out of them every time you use them.

Today people treat everything as if it's a disposable item. Because of the treatment they give most things..... Unfortunately, they are.

Agree. I'm just not getting why anyone, other than perhaps all the run and gun guys who compete, would allow their magazines to drop into the dirt? To achieve what purpose? Some kind of B.S. "fast reload"? They've been watching too much TV. Or else think they're Rob Leatham.
Things happen. Things get dropped unintentionally. People fall down and get dirty and then have to handle things.

Remember, people use guns for things other than shooting at the range. In a self-defense encounter, all kinds of unplanned things can happen, including rolling around on the ground fighting with someone, getting shot or injured, dropping things in the melee...

And that's not the only way a magazine can get dusty/dirty. Sometimes it's dry and the wind blows dust/sand around. Sometimes it's not sand or dirt that gets in them, it's lint or fuzz from clothing.

Anyway, it's all easily preventable. Keep them dry inside and they won't collect dirt. And if they're quality mags, they will function just fine dry since that's how mags are supposed to work.

I guess we can see what some manufacturers have to say on the topic.

Beretta:
http://www.beretta.com/assets/12/29/APX_Manual_ENG_2016_05_031.pdf

"Make sure the magazine is thoroughly clean and that the follower slides easily downward if pressed. Dry the internal walls of the magazine box with a cloth. Do not leave any oil in the magazine."​

Glock:
https://us.glock.com/-/media/global...ion_for_use_gen5-xmodel_en_22012018.pdf?la=en
"Do not put cleaner-lubricant-preservative or gun oil inside the firing pin channel. Make sure that the magazine (inside and out) and breech face are wiped dry before reassembling your GLOCK pistol. Leaving lubricant in these areas could cause contaminations of primers and failure to fire."​

Larry Vickers has an opinion.
https://www.vickerstactical.com/magazines.html
"Do not oil the magazine internals as this tends to attract debris."​

Another opinion on the topic.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/9/12/how-to-clean-your-guns-tips-from-an-expert/
He also warns to not lubricate the firing-pin channel, chamber, bore or magazines, because lubricants often allow debris to stick, and you don’t want stuck debris in these areas.​

Let's put it this way. If the manufacturer of your particular firearm recommends oiling the magazines, follow their instructions closely. Otherwise, it's best to leave them dry inside. If you feel you must lubricate them, use a dry lubricant that won't attract any dirt or dust or get old and sticky or leave a residue buildup.

In a self-defense encounter, all kinds of unplanned things can happen, including rolling around on the ground fighting with someone, getting shot or injured, dropping things in the melee...

And in all honesty, how many people do you know which that has happened to? In almost 60 years of shooting, and hanging around pro gun people all of my life, I know a grand total of none.

But I know many who have damaged perfectly good magazines by milking them on to the ground. Screwing around with, "speed reloads", ect. While playing, "Master Gunfighter". And many more that have had magazines rust because of lack of care and lubricant.

I'm not saying it can't happen. But you have a much better chance of getting struck by lightning, while riding your Unicorn to cash in your winning Powerball ticket. Let alone trying to use it as a legitimate excuse to not lightly lube your magazines when you go to the range.

How many people do you know who have had to shoot someone in self-defense? it's not that common and yet many people still have a gun for that purpose even though it's improbable that they will need it.

Sometimes it's not about how probable/improbable something is, it's more about the consequences than it is about the odds.

Besides, that's only one way I listed that a magazine could accumulate dust/residue that could affect function.
And many more that have had magazines rust because of lack of care and lubricant.
It's not as if there are only two choices available and one must choose only one and forgo the other. We don't have to choose between leaving our mags unprotected or oiling them with a wet lube.

There are dry lubes and dry protectants available. One very common solution is to use a silicon impregnated cloth--it will protect a magazine without leaving a residue that will affect function or attract dust. There are also formulations such as Boeshield T9 that are specifically made to protect metals without leaving them wet and without leaving a residue that will attract dust or other contaminants. There's no need to oil the inside of a magazine to prevent it from rusting and good reasons not to oil it.
But I know many who have damaged perfectly good magazines by milking them on to the ground. Screwing around with, "speed reloads", ect. While playing, "Master Gunfighter".
I explained how a magazine could get dirty without anyone intentionally dropping it.

Finally, if you're trying to change my mind, what good would that do? 1. I didn't come up with my opinion on my own, it's based on the recommendation of manufacturers and the opinions of experts. 2. I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet--getting me to change my mind accomplishes very little.

Start with Glock, Beretta, Larry Vickers and the other experts and manufacturers who say oiling magazine internals isn't advisable. If you can convince them they're wrong, I'll follow right along once I see that they have recanted their previous recommendations. :D

Back