In this thread we like and carry 1911s

A good quality 1911, meaning quality of materials, assembly and fitting, is a fine pistol.

Granted, they usually require a bit more knowledge and experience from the shooter, both in manipulation (grip functioning the grip safety, and proper use of thumb safety lock) and preventive maintenance. However, they also seem to entice too many folks to fiddle with them, which can easily compromise the simplicity and reliability of the design.

Another potential issue is the variability of magazine design and quality of manufacture.

I've long been a 1911 aficionado and user.

Even though the previous head armorer was a machinist and serious 1911 tuner (who said he gained a lot of his knowledge from Bob Chow), I finally managed to get my former agency to send me to the Colt armorer class (what they call their Model O Pistol armorer class) after his retirement. Aside from being approved for off-duty carry, the only folks carrying 1911's on-duty were the swat teams, so my services as a 1911 armorer weren't needed as much as my armorer training for other guns. That was okay, though, because I really just wanted to fine tune my ability to service, maintain and repair (if needed) my own 1911's (and for a couple of friends) after I retired.

Thus far, I've only had to repair a broken ejector in a friend's Colt XSE since retirement. He had the front post break off below the top of the frame, which was a bit tricky to remove, since it sits in a blind hole.

I don't carry my 1911's nearly as much as I used to as a younger cop, as I tend to appreciate the lighter retirement weapons nowadays. My '05 vintage SW1911SC 5" stainless(slide)/Scandium aluminum framed gun makes for a nice shooting and decent carrying option, in that regard.

I still miss my early 70's lightweight Commander, though, if only because it was my first 1911. I traded it away for a steel Combat Commander, and never got around to replacing it with another lightweight Commander length model.

I only have 5 1911's, though, all chambered in .45ACP, being 4 Colts (3.5", 4.25" & 5") and that SW1911SC.

The first semi auto pistol I ever fired was a Remington Rand 1911 when I was 9. I've been in love with them ever since.

In my opinion, the 1911-A1 is the best of the best of all handgun designs. Its genius is its simplicity of design.

Easiest handgun "to hit with"...also the easiest full size, heavy weight handgun that conceals well.

They're not the easiest to carry for me. BTDT, moved on to smaller pistols. That said, I haven't found anything I shoot better. Heck, my 1911 makes me look like a good shooter!

Pretty nice collection.

Except, I see a Kimber in there. Why would you have that piece of trash in such a nice collection?

Pretty nice collection.

Except, I see a Kimber in there. Why would you have that piece of trash in such a nice collection?

I know Kimber often gets a bad rap on gun forums.
That is a Kimber TLE 10mm, I've put at least 500 rounds of my hollow point handloads, Nosler 180 and 150 JHP, through it and it works great.
Maybe I just got lucky. :p

I like 1911s and I used to carry one everyday. Now I carry them sometimes, but not everyday. Here are some, but not all, of my 1911s:

IY9zKaC.jpg

I especially like CCO-sized 1911s to carry. These are the ones I have often carried:

Baer, all steel:
K0QiLxS.jpg

Dan Wesson CCO and DW Valkyrie:
IEglph0.jpg

Sig C3 Revolution (my first CCO):
P3FgczW.jpg

I see that you're drinking Miller High Life..."the champagne of bottle beers"...and I thought you had good taste. :D

Love 'em...the only other auto that I shoot as well as a 1911, is the Browning Hi Power...and I have a cpl of those as well. Given a choice for one carry piece, anywhere, anytime, and only one choice, it'd be the Officer's Model sized Sig RCS in .45 acp ...light, accurate in my hands, utterly reliable...it's the one. Pic of the Sig and my BHP Mklll 9mm. Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
"For over a century, there has yet to be a handgun design that can complete with the 1911-A1."

While I love the 1911-A1, obviously Glock has become THE most popular handgun design across the globe. I love the 1911-A1, but as far as popularity, reliability and sheer sales volume to military, Police, etc., Glock has not only competed with the 1911-A1, it has won hands down.

Does a plastic tactical pistol feel the same as a 1911-A1 in the hand, slim and fits / points perfectly? No. But, the Glock G4 grip is nice. Real nice. As far as reliability, both designs (1911-A1 vs. Glock), work well in my experience. I was a hard sell, but gotta give credit where it is due. I have come to accept that it is ok to love both the 1911-A1 AND the Glock. ;). I own both.

Pretty sure if John Browning was still alive, he would have designed the Glock himself. But then it wouldn't be called "Glock". :D Perhaps named the "1982-A1"? :D

Last edited:
I have always had a soft spot for 1911's. Most of mine are military issue from the US, Argentina and Norway.

US. These date from 1914 (top left) to 2012 (bottom):
IMG_5676-XL.jpg

Norway:
IMG_8745-XL.jpg

M1914-2-XL.jpg

Argentina:
IMG_6468-XL.jpg

IMG_6473-XL.jpg

A few commercial guns:
IMG_9780_Fotor-XL.jpg

And the only one I actually carry from time to time, an Colt compact that I bought off of a retired Navy SEAL a few years ago along with his dive knife and M10 bayonet:
IMG_8655-XL.jpg

BTW anyone that thinks that you cant get a good trigger on a series 80 hasn't felt one as good as this one is. Really it is only a very small step away from the trigger in my 1974 vintage Gold Cup.

I used to carry a 1911 and had to qualify expert with it every six months. Decades later when I got into firearms on a more serious basis, I found it too heavy, wide and recoil a bit too much for this old and tired hand, so I got the next best thing...
A Browning High Power III in 9mm. It was NIB and 13+1 rds. is more than sufficient for me. It was the last one in my town and I had to pay MSRP, but well worth it. Replaced the plastic grips with some lighter/slimmer ones from Turkey. I also replaced the hammer and sear, not that I was getting hammer bite, but still irritated the web of my shooting hand whenever handling the firearm. I got a new sear and skeletonized hammer from CS. Now this is where it might stop people in their tracks. It came with the "mousetrap" magazines, but surprise, I liked them, along with the raspy (a feeling, not the sound) that when I squeezed the trigger, I knew exactly when it was going to fire. I purchased additional same style magazines, OEM as I recently found out that the Mec-gar(?) magazines might crack. Good shooting to y'all.

Attachments

• BHP Grips.JPG
    BHP Grips.JPG
    866.6 KB · Views: 15
I've been a 1911, and Hi Power, fan since the '60s. Owned I don't even remember how many of both, still have a few. Carried both a fair amount, and a 1911 full time on duty for several years. But now retired in a smaller town, have to admit I've backslid and most often carry something smaller and lighter;)

Attached a photo of the Colt Government I carried every working day for several years while gainfully employed.

My choice for carry is this little 45 ACP:
Kimber%201.png

I was never a Kimber fan till this little gun came along as a "good deal" when a friend needed money.

I am a fan of the Colt Series 70 older guns:
45%20Colt%20Series%2070%20Guns.png

One of the above is a 38 Super I think and I have a few more 1911 guns, just not Colt.

The full size 1911 guns, as much as I like them are just a bit difficult for concealed carry with me especially during the warmer summer months. I seldom carry the extra magazines.

Ron

I have two 1911's. Both Colts. One in 45ACP and the other is a 22lr.

The 45 is always on my hip. I've had several non 1911 carry pistols over the years, but I always end up selling them and going back to my old friend. I've decided I'm just going to stick with what I know and shoot the best.
941ccba1a83deb3217a431d87be126f8.jpg
9f39d2682465325eb96dc4431f80048a.jpg
d2f4f26e5e21b67e91685943854732a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My EDC is a stainless Wilson Combat Professional in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB Holster. I own several 1911's but that is my carry piece.
WPSAMagwell005.jpg

Here are the others.
IMG_0082.jpg

1911AR003.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

and one in 10mm. A Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup
IMG_0443.jpg

Back