in praise of the Glock 48

Ditto -- another non Glock guy here, who has to admit the 48 is a really well executed design.

If the aftermarket 15 round magazines become real this will be a game changer

I will add my voice in praise of the 48. I bought mine about 5 weeks ago, and it's a perfect fit. I have plenty of pistol choices already, but none match the carry comfort and full grip at the same time. It's a great package.

4+" barrel (besides increased sight radius, velocity and accuracy, the extra length torques the grip closer to my side, better concealment)
10+1
thin enough to really make a difference
lightweight
reliable
after-market support

And I like the two-tone look :)

So here's a question -- apart from capacity (and 10+1 vs. 8+1 isn't that huge), why was Springfield's 4" XD-S never a big seller, and in fact they dropped it from their lineup?

The XD-S isn't a class leader but it's always been popular and reliable as hell. If you put their 8 round extended magazine in it, and lay it next to a new Glock 48, they're dimensionally very similar. I think Glock wins on ergonomics, but then again their new Mod.2 XD-S is very ergonomic.

Was the world just not ready for a slim gun with a 4" slide? :)

(They've since released their XD-E hammer-fired single stack in both a 4" and a 5" extended slide, but that gun is really a niche market thing -- weirdos like me who still cling to guns, religion and external hammers).

So here's a question -- apart from capacity (and 10+1 vs. 8+1 isn't that huge), why was Springfield's 4" XD-S never a big seller, and in fact they dropped it from their lineup?

The XD-S isn't a class leader but it's always been popular and reliable as hell. If you put their 8 round extended magazine in it, and lay it next to a new Glock 48, they're dimensionally very similar. I think Glock wins on ergonomics, but then again their new Mod.2 XD-S is very ergonomic.

Was the world just not ready for a slim gun with a 4" slide? :)

(They've since released their XD-E hammer-fired single stack in both a 4" and a 5" extended slide, but that gun is really a niche market thing -- weirdos like me who still cling to guns, religion and external hammers).
Never handled the XD-S but with the G43X and the G48, I knew the moment I picked them up that I would be able to shoot them well. They just felt right.

The XD-S is a heavy little sucker, but all XD models are very heavily built. I never liked the "all terrain tire" grip they used on the first generation, but that's easily enough fixed with Talon grips or something else. They handle and point pretty much like any other gun.

Anyways I wonder -- with the 43x/48 and potentially the 15 round magazines, and Sig supposedly releasing a 15 rounder for the P365 later this summer, are we getting into a new era in which any single stack holding less than 10 rounds will be passe and have to be sold for cut-rate prices?

Obviously capacity isn't everything but it sets an expectation. I can see the thinking shifting toward "Wait, you want me to pay $400 for this 7 round model, when $100 more will get me a Sig or Glock that holds twice the rounds?"

But these ones that hold 15 rds have grips that are longer. It's not exactly 1:1 size wise. The capacity question is one that has applied before and will after these exist. Width isn't the only dimension and people make choices based on their needs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can just see the Glock people sitting in a room observing the competition (including their own lineup) and asking the same kinds of questions about their proposed new slimline models.

My XDs 3.3 is slightly heavier loaded 7+1 than my 48 with 10+1. A 4" model would have to be even heavier. The XDs is stone reliable, and I'd expect that from the 48 also.

But here's the trick - instead of asking what the G48 and 43x bring to the table - ask what do the current competitive products offer that is better? The only thing at the moment I can think of is the P365 with 10 rounds in a really small size. After that I'm just not sure. I mean I am very happy with my XDs 3.3, but I'm happier with the G48 for the reasons I have already posted and for reasons that others have posted too.

I read reviews like this and I wish I needed another 9mm. I have always liked Glocks, only have one and it's a G 19. Had for over 20 years and it has never failed me. Maybe if I sleep on it I can talk myself into a need of this one.

And I like the two-tone look :)

I like the contrast as well. Makes it a little interesting and special, as far as Glocks go. Not outrageous, but just a little different. In addition to the springs I ordered, I added a set of stainless steel pins, just to complete the look.
Of course, I'll really be looking for how well the finish holds up -- none of the "torture tests" posted online really test the durability of the finish.

Anyone else finding it difficult to keep the silver slide looking clean? The best I have found to clean and preserve it is coconut oil (for Frog lube if you want to pay 10 time more)

Sorry, but my mind just can't grasp a few fractions of an inch make all that much difference in concealability.
Grip length is a far bigger factor than width.

Why the 2 Tone?

Some 2 tones I like but for some reason I do not like a Silver Slide on a Black Grip 2 Tone.

I saw it at the Gun Show today and on a table full of Glocks it definitely sticks out.
if I wanted one I don't know if I could get past the 2 Tone!
Maybe Glock could come out with a G48X for all black.
They made the G45 supposedly for law enforcement that did not want the G19X FDE.
Glock should stick to their all black guns or FDE or something like that.
The 2 tone Silver Slide just looks bad or Cheap!
And for EDC don't you want stealth as you carry rather than silver.

In my opinion....

Last edited:
Sorry, but my mind just can't grasp a few fractions of an inch make all that much difference in concealability.
Grip length is a far bigger factor than width.
Agree, why I got a G43 instead of 43x..more versatile for me and different clothes..

Get some mag extensions and have 6/7/8/10 round mags.

Maybe so but at least for me it makes a major difference in shootability. Always despised the feel of the BIG FAT Glock grip in any double stack model.

With the into of the G42, G43 and now G48 there are finally Glocks that fit my hand extremely well. Bought a used 42 last year and now have the 48 arriving Tuesday.

Back